Sunday, February 2, 2014

PUNXSUTAWNEY PHIL

HAPPY GROUNDHOG'S DAY!
 
Groundhog's Day has never carried quite the same éclat as other holidays - indeed there are plenty out there who don't even consider it to be one, perhaps because so little fuss is generally made about it outside of Pennsylvania. To be fair, it isn't truly classified as a holiday, yet I've always viewed it as one, and adore the fact that we, rather preciously, employ a furry little critter to help determine if we're in for an early spring or another six weeks of winter.
 
 
Some people dismiss Groundhog's Day because of it's seemingly silly idea, but if you think about it, there's really nothing stranger about the idea of a rodent being able to predict the weather than there is of a rabbit delivering candy to children at Easter. And this year Punxsutawney will share the day with some little ole game being played somewhere in a bowl???

 
Groundhog Day is a day celebrated on February 2. According to folklore, if it is cloudy when a groundhog emerges from its burrow on this day, then spring will come early; if it is sunny, the groundhog will supposedly see its shadow and retreat back into its burrow, and the winter weather will continue for six more weeks. Modern customs of the holiday involve celebrations where early morning festivals are held to watch the groundhog emerging from its burrow. The largest Groundhog Day celebration is held right here in Pennsylvania in Punxsutawney.
 
 
The celebration, which began as a Pennsylvania German custom in southeastern and central Pennsylvania in the 18th and 19th centuries, has its origins in ancient European weather lore, wherein a badger or sacred bear is the prognosticator as opposed to a groundhog.


I love Groundhog's Day,  and hope you'll join me today with a nice gin and tonic and in the merriment and fun of this endearingly charming mid-winter tradition.
Happy Groundhog's Day, everyone -
here's to hoping that the darling little critter doesn't see his shadow! And we can say good bye to the Polar Vortex!!!! Although I do enjoy my calm candle lit nights.

15 comments:

  1. Twitter says he saw his shadow! Oh noees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the idea of Ground Hog Day is sweet. It's a slightly silly example of it, but it's nice to think that some heed is still given to the natural world, seasonal cycles, and animal activities being a sign of changes in the weather...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this folklore tradition, plus Bill Murray's movie is one of my favorite comedy film from the 90's. It's a good thing you've posted it,I always remember it every single year when I lived in the US, when in school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just adore anything to do with this classic folk holiday. And looks like more winter!!!! The movie was my first introduction many years ago and I have been fascinated ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also see I missed Ming yesterday. Is she still available for questions? I always miss the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always been on board with ANY holiday revolving around animals :)Those vintage photos of Phil are priceless! So so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the movie; and that fucking little rodent says 6 more weeks of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Rodent Day! He probably does a better job then the weathermen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Groundhog Day! It's cloudy here with rain on the way. We're getting winter weather all week. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would certainly love to know when winter might end. One of my mother's favourite sayings is, "N'er cast a clout 'til May is out", basically keep your vest and coat on until the end of May unless you want to catch a chill!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Groundhog Day! It's certainly one of those holidays that just seems to slip by before you even have a chance to consider it, but a fun one none-the-less.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all magic animals, groundhogs included!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You mean something in a hole will predict the weather?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it is great that there is a community of people who get together and celebrate Groundhog Day, as celebrating is wonderful. Anything good that brings a community together is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess a groundhog is better than a beaver!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!