Sunday, September 1, 2024

IN A GARDEN

 

I can't believe it is September already?!? But you know me, summer will go right through till the fat lady sings on September 21 and then and only then will I be ready for the autumn. The garden is still going strong, and dare say, even flourishing more so with the rain and cooler temps with sun. I admit that while on holiday it is fun, the garden tending and maintenance makes for work once back. But I was amazed at even after 14 days how much bigger things got. I spent the better part of yesterday outside, toiling in the grounds.

The Datura Ballerina are bigger than ever this year. Last I looked, in addition to flower trumpets already opened, I counted some 34 new blooms ready to open and the scent near them is intoxicating.

The wildflower garden continues to bring about new surprises.


But currently the star of the show is the cassia! 
When these were planted at the end of May they were only about 6" tall, so as you can see, they have blown up!!! The plant is mostly known as popcorn cassia and is a legume from tropical central and eastern Africa, wild and grown as an ornamental plant. The species has also been used as a cover crop or green manure crop in some locations. The name comes from its foliage when rubbed, smells of buttered popcorn. Although this tropical plant is only hardy in certain zones, because of its rapid growth and habit of flowering when small it is easily used as a seasonal annual in cooler climates. The cassia is a semi-deciduous, multi branching shrub or small tree that can grow up to 25 feet tall, but generally remains in at 6-10 feet. The flowers are stunning I think, and once opened the yellow spears can be as long as a 12". Once the flowers are done blooming, a legume style seed pod containing bean like seeds can be collected and planted later. The third cycle of blooming is happening currently. At dusk, all the leaves close shut.
In addition to the hummingbirds we have gotten a family of blue boyds renting out the birdhouse.
A bumble on the borage
The dahlias are coming along....
And the dinnerplate dahlias are stunning already...
In this planted Canya pot, the potato vines are going nuts, and have grown actually up the side of the potting shed and around it.
I still adore the geraniums and their scent. And the salvia flower beds are so full of them...some of the ones in the back are up to my chest almost. Hummingbirds are often seen in this part of the garden.
  Friends of mine, and even Robzilla, will tell you Poison Ivy has always been my favorite villain. Maybe I'm more like her then I thought. It's looking like one huge green house at this point really. It's like the garden is putting on its grand show like in spring... before the autumn hits.

34 comments:

  1. You have a remarkable show of colour - so much more than we have at the moment (given the fact that the disgusting weed trees in gardens either side of ours have started to close the canopy, so we are practically in shade most of the time)! Well done, dear.

    I am tempted to try to grow a Cassia (which is in fact, Senna didymobotrya - the famous laxative) in a pot next year and see if we can get it to flower in semi-shade... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spot in which I planted it this year did very well, doubling in size from last year's spot. It can be grown in pots I understand very nicely. Ours bloomed right through till late October last year. It can also be brought indoors in its pot for the winter. I came close to digging our up and bringing it in, but never got around to it.And after seeing this year's size, I have no idea where I could even place it indoors. But the flowers and leaves are awful pretty I think. Such a happy shad of yellow. I do know they also like lots of sun. Id be interested too to see how you two boys would fare with it.

      Delete
  2. I can only imagine what you could do with a greenhouse on top of a high rise building!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Poison's next stop will be just that!

      Delete
  3. Gaw-geous colors in the garden!!! And the fauna, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob!!! Every year seems to get better.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous9/01/2024

    Tundra Bunny here...

    With such a beautiful, colourful oasis to enjoy every day, there's no way those could be the "blue boyds of depression", LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't seen any blue boyds since the beginning of spring, so it is nice to see them back and occupying the "guesthouse."

      Delete
  5. So much gorgeous and vibrant colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debs! Every time I see a bee, I think of you and have to get a picture.

      Delete
  6. What with your tempting ways, anti-heroine side and green thumb and love of nature, you just may be the real Poison Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was happy to return from vacation and see you too are back! And what a stunning garden. Just seeing the picture made me happy, and the picture with the leaf with water droplets on it is so coo looking...a very nice capture Mistress. The cassia is also fascinating. I sure hope you not raising any triffids in there?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An army of triffids!!!! Thems and the squirrel minions will not be trifled with.

      Delete

  8. Absolutely Brilliant, I tip my hat to the Master Gardener !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!!!! This made my night! I think your right. This time of the year the garden knows it's time will be coming for sleep soon, so it pulls one long last stunning show of variety and color I swear. It's all so beautiful Mistress. And like always the Datura Ballerina just fascinates me so. Such pretty blooms and I almost expect them to ring like telephones. That butterfly shot is excellent. It seems all the players are here to make for such a pretty garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ballerinas also got far bigger than last years plants.

      Delete
  10. Truly spectacular. I’d never want to leave that garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gardens are hard work! But yours looks beautiful for it. Too much rain here, and all I have here is a lot of green, and dandelions!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write it off to years of pent-up energy when I lived in my apartment, I think. I can't lie, dandelions make me happy. Our here only bloom in the spring.

      Delete
  12. Wow what a garden! So many things in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect most will keep blooming right into the fall too.

      Delete
  13. SO pretty. Everything here has been burned by the heat this year. Leaves are tinged with brown regardless of the amount of water. It's very strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a pretty mild summer if you ask me. I give you kudos for living where you do, I think it would make me depressed.

      Delete
  14. I so envy your flaming emerald thumb, Mads! I've once again committed planticide. I've given up trying to grow anything except geraniums, roses and those houseplants that you see in dental offices, Golden Pothos. No more killing poor innocent plants for me. I have too much sap or whatever on my hands now!
    Anyway, beautiful garden hon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deedles! I'm good with outdoors plants...but indoors?!?!? A Murderous!! I have no luck with indoors plants, and I fear when I have to bring in my four leaf clovers, which are huge now outdoors. I bring them in closer the frost. By spring, they just about make it. I think all the years of apartment living, I must have had pent up gardening energy or something. I get it from my father I think. And I too love geraniums...they smell so good.

      Delete
  15. How on earth did i miss this post???
    Your garden is truly beautiful. Just beautiful. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from you, that is a real compliment. Thank you Chirstina.

      Delete
  16. What you need for your indoor plants is a conservatory or an orangery. The additional light is all your plants need to flourish. My conservatory's window ledges are smothered in multifarious geraniums (scented leaf and otherwise). Come October the tender plants will be brought in until the spring. All my seeds are started off in here too. Green thumbs can be inherited; my great grandfather was head gardener at a house in the New Forest and my Mum inherited his gardening genes, as did I and my younger niece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't foresee a conservatory anytime soon here. No space, and I wouldn't invest as I doubt my stay here will be but a few years. But I do agree about the inherited green thumb. Both my mother's mother, and my father both had green thumbs and were gardeners for the hobby and love of it.

      Delete
  17. Ah, I see plenty here for the Garden Photos Event in a couple of months time. It's all so beautiful, Maddie - not that I would expect any less from you. And that cassia is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my!!!!! This post made my day today. It was just shitty. This turned my mood right around. Bravo to you of so much variety. It surely makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!