Sunday, March 5, 2017

SMOKE AND MIRRORS

I sometimes can not make up my mind to sit home and relax or get out. This weekend the weather yet again did a 360 and went back into winter after two weeks of 60 and 70 degree days. Alas, the Lad was coming through to tie loose ends up back in Cleveland, so of course that meant two things.

1-No rest for the weary and
2- I would be getting out in the cold.

Of course this would only happen if we even made it out of bed from Friday night. Well, it had been almost three weeks already!!!! So miracles of miracles, we did indeed make it out of bed, me none to happy to be up before 11AM. I decided we would head into Philly, for I had a hankering for one of my guilty pleasures....a Cuban cigar. The Lad was leary of a thick cigar, but I couldn't understand why. I told him it's like any other phallic object....just put your lips together around it and blow.  Now mind you I don't smoke, but I do enjoy I lovely Cuban from time to time, maybe like four a year. I think I get it from my mother's brother who was a cigar aficionado. I love the smell of them. So it was off to Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia to Ashton's Cigar Bar.

But it’s not just any bar. Located atop the Holt’s store on Walnut Street, Ashton Cigar Bar is a unique retreat—the only venue that I'm aware of in Philadelphia that is open to the public, and allows guests to smoke cigars indoors. It features a spacious walk-in humidor holding more than 200 premium cigar brands.
 A stylish modern lounge, and a fully stocked bar offering 250 whiskeys and 400 spirits in all, plus a variety of noshes. It was great to see the number of gin and whiskey they had that was right from Philadelphia itself.  It also boasts a state of the art, top-of-the-line air handling system that will make nonsmokers feel at ease and comfortable. Although cigars and cocktails are the main focus, the aesthetics were also key. Ashton's has created a contemporary design with a warm, comfortable atmosphere, which includes a mix of black and red leather seating, exposed brick walls, and a sleek marble bar top.
It feels  upscale, cool, and hip without being snooty. Although, I'm glad the Lad talked me out of wearing my fez hat with the ostrich plumes to the joint. It may have been a bit much. But this place is the perfect setting to enjoy a drink and a fine cigar. The staff here is also very knowledgeable to pair a cigar back to a whiskey, gin or scotch, or a certain wine to bring out the notes of the libation and the cigar, to harmoniously work together. The Lad went with a martini while I bypassed my gin, to try my hand at a whiskey on the rocks, with our Cubans.
 Unfortunately, I don't even remember our ride back to the Casa. And the Lad assured me I was in top form in my performance last night, but I have no recollection. This sometimes happens when I have a Cuban.

Of course I don't advise smoking a cigar on a empty stomach. Before hand we went to one of my favorite dinning spots, the Dandelion Pub.  ALL THE WORLD’S A STAGE, Shakespeare reminded us, and that was without ever laying eyes on this restaurant. One can only imagine what he would have made of the Dandelion, where firewood crackles in an oak-mantled hearth shipped over from England, or so says the waiter, and a bronze bust of Winston Churchill caps the ground-floor bar.
The  British pub has been packed with players since opening. Stephen Starr is the mastermind behind this cozy, intimate London-style pub that serves up a killer brunch ,booze-soaked Scotch pancakes I saw on the menu, and other seasonal twists on British favorites. The atmosphere reminds me of equal parts EastEnders and Diagon Alley...a stunning "British tavern" set in a stately old Victorian house transports foodies across the pond to merry ol' England. The Lad has been to England where he had the best fish and chips. The Dandelion’s is the best he's had since, he has said. But it was just small plates for us here today with some traditional ales, with a lovely seat in front of the fireplace...which was welcome after the winds whipping down the streets.
It was a definite weekend for the senses...that's for sure. We had it all, seeing, hearing, smelling, and tasting. And then there was the touching. Another long morning spent in bed again, before the Lad continued further northward. And friends wonder why I enjoy the sight of the Lad when he's here. What a fine sight he is.

43 comments:

  1. 250 whiskeys?

    I can't do the math but I can see that would keep me busy sampling for much of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That,should keep you good and tight......for at least 250 days of the year.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had a great weekend. I love Philadephia...some of the best lounges and restaurants. I don't smoke cigars, but LOVE the smell of them. I just bet the Lad enjoyed his "Cuban". Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE me a good cigar from time to time. And with the assets of the Lad and yours, I can only imagine you wore out the touching and tasting sense. Yeah, I went there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely places! I'd happily go to either.

    There's something about having a great bottle of wine and a great cigar. Nothing compares to it. D. L. Hughley

    ReplyDelete
  5. just as long as you two didn't re-enact the Clinton-Lewinsky Oval Office Cigar fiasco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only ever work above the desk dear.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you had a perfect weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Mistress, you sure do a weekend in great taste. William and I go to Ashton's several times a year. Hey, this old lady enjoys a cigar from time to time, and I keep right up with William. I also was pleasantly surprised to see I wasn't the only woman there smoking one too. Lovely weekend. And nice to hear you and the Lad got to luxuriate and lounge in bed too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your not the only one. When the price of cigarettes went up my aunt switched to smoking a pipe!!!!! She has since stopped, but will also smoke the occasional cigar

      Delete
  8. A wild and crazy weekend involves sitting on the front porch, smoking a cigar, reading a book, and having good sex.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a good time was had by all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dandelion Pub is one of my favorite haunts too. It's hard to beat there brunch and their menu. I too love the smell of cigar, but don't know I could handle on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can hit you the wrong way if smoked to quick.

      Delete
  11. "the Lad was coming through to tie loose ends up" and none too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What some great hangouts there!!!! I have been smoking Cuban cigars for 34 years. 3 or 4 a year. I still remember the first Cuban I smoked, a Romeo y Julieta No. 3. The small cigar offered deep and rich flavors yet at the same time a brightness and finesse. A French wine producer gave me the cigar in 1982 when I was living in San Francisco, and have loved them since. And on another note, with an ass like that, I'd never let the Lad out of my site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And worry....i have a tracker on him.

      Delete
  13. I have the feeling those cigars weren't the only things getting smoked.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man so glad you two made it out of bed to show us this! I would love to check this place out. My favorite cigar is a Gran Reserva from Cohiba. It smokes wonderfully with notes of dark chocolate, tobacco and walnut character. Full body. Extremely long and rich. It's hard to find them under $100 a cigar though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was briefly amazed that a non-smoker could enjoy a cigar, but then I realised that an Epicurean such as the Mistress could never deny himself such a pleasure! Along with other pleasures, of course! You might consider taking a vitamin drink to prepare for such weekends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never smoked cigarettes but I do drink alot of vitamin water to keep hydrated....not to worry!

      Delete
  16. Oh, no, a cigar?!? Blech, blech, blech... I don't care if it IS Cuban. The lad is a saint for putting up with that. (But I'm not judging...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he likes,smoking them too. We both enjoy three or four a year and that's it.

      Delete
  17. Fun weekend. And after seeing the Lads booty, he must do kegels all day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd tap that ass! as in, lightly spank!

    I didn't leave the house all weekend; (a) too damn cold on my lungs and (b) I am just getting over acute asthmatic bronchitis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have told me.....i could have sent a houseboy over to spoon feed you🍴🍴🍴 And the lad enjoys a good heavy spank!!!!!

      Delete
    2. (a) I would have enjoyed a houseboy and (b) I ain't into pain.

      Delete
  19. Looks and sounds like a wonderful weekend . . . he does know how to wear a pair of jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The food, the drinks, the ambience, the company ... yes.
    But I can't with a cigar.
    I'll have another cock-tail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And living in Florida, I'd assumed one of you would have par took of a cigar.

      Delete
  21. Careful....I'll be looking for those jeans on my next Roanoke trip.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's my kind of weekend. I could hang out in the Dandelion Pub ny that fire all afternoon. How quaint is that place. Sound like you had a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a really nice weekend. And, yes, from the looks of that butt...I can surely understand. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the looks of the cigar place, but sadly I haven't had one in nearly twenty years. I'd love to sample the whiskeys, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was so many it was overwhelming.

      Delete
  25. Now being a whiskey and occasional cigar smoker....and nice asses, ill patiently await a invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a unique place! I didn't even know there were 250 kinds of whiskey. I don't know a thing about cigars, either - but I've smoked a few good Cubans in my time....
    Luv that last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bet you have smoked a few Cuban!!!

      Delete
  27. My lunch hour often finds me at the Dandelion Pun, hands down, my favorite place in Philly to eat. But I may get distracted by that cute ass.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I so need to check that place out sometime if I ever get to Philadelphia. It's hard to find a chic cigar bar. And if I witness the ass of the Lad, just another added bonus.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!