Monday, March 27, 2017

HIDDEN RETREAT

When the Mistress got back in today, I tell you, it was nothing about a socialite, ladies who lunch, day of lounge. I did absolutely nothing, after such a relaxing weekend. I had been invited by my friend the Professor, and my other friend Preston also went along to the Catskills for a spring, but seemed like a winter get-a-way. I had only been once prior, but I had remembered my father saying his parents had a summer home with another couple in the Catskills, and they would practically live there in the summers. Could be why I enjoyed myself so much. While it was mild, they still had a lot of snow there from the last storm. The Catskills are an ideal escape from NYC and Philadelphia, with rolling mountains, farmhouses, B&B's , and a quick respite for those of us who live in the over crowded city or some suburbs, and is also where the arty types from the sister cities build their "other" Pied-a-terre.
From Spillian's website.

I was told to expect artist, poets types, fledgling actors, and lots of sandals and granola, Mother Earth types. That was fine by me, these are the people who make life interesting. The place prides itself on creating a peaceful and open atmosphere so people can inspire, and be themselves. The place we stayed at was the Spillian, and even though I had no idea where in hell we were....it was gorgeous!

Built in the early 1880’s by the Fleischmann's Yeast family, who were an extraordinary example of the sprawling, brilliantly-big visioned ambition of the Industrial Revolution, Spillian was part of a 160 acre compound with half a dozen or more mansions. Each of the five siblings from the first generation of Fleischmann's, immigrants from Eastern Europe, had a summer “cottage” here. The property is a classic version of Stick Style Architecture — a transitional style moving from Victorian to the 20th Century Arts and Crafts Movement. When I asked who the architect was they said they are still digging to see if they can discover the architect for the buildings, but are increasingly thinking that they were designed by a major architect of the period. When the Fleischmanns arrived in the Catskills to build this property, they had a major national company and were making a point about creating their own elegant rustic mountain experience during an era of heavy anti-Semitism. The house is remarkably intact, with clear pine paneling throughout and extraordinary hand painted murals on the walls that date from the Fleischmann era.  As you walk the grounds, you’ll see an exquisite ice house, a spring house, a second cottage built for summer housing and they still have part of a farm that is still up and running.
 Most nights they serve dinner in the dinning room to all the guest at once, so it feels like one huge dinner party.

Take a gander at the beautiful wall mural paintings on that paneling. You just don't see that now a days.
Oh, and don’t forget the naps. It practically is a requirement. But how could one sleep with such beauty.....and three of us slept in that bed!

We also got to see the coop of chickens and they let you feed them in the morning at the Palais de Chicks. Fresh eggs in the morning!!!!!
And the Spillian's horse, Ivy the Wonderful.
And if you have to get out of the house, the nearby Kaaterskill Falls makes a fine hiking experience – even when it is covered fully in snow, it makes for beautiful snaps. It was tough hiking around though...one minute there was no snow, then all of a sudden there would be a foot of snow depending on how it was melting and where it was located.

And of course I had a special martini the bartender made me, Beet Martini and it was surprisingly tasty....
Preston caught yours truly and the Professor in a gratuitous shot in the hot tub for a soak. But I didn't care, it felt like heaven....
And my favorite part of the weekend had to be Saturday at sunset....a outdoor campfire with bottles of cider wine. Worth the whole trip alone.
Now that was pretty damn cool. One must live . As Oscar Wilde said once,
" Hear no evil, Speak no evil, and you'll never be invited to parties."

43 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully idyllic place for the weekend. Hope you had a wonderfully idyllic adventure in the hot tub, also. Beach ball size I hear....on my! How wonderfully idyllic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And try fitting just that times two more in a full bed!!!! It was most definitely a wonderful weekend in nature

      Delete
  2. I mostly definitely could benefit from at least two weekends there,,, preferably with those perky asses I spy. Beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That place is absolutely inspiring. Your really had me at the last picture . Ok, And Maybe the hot tube one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words can not describe how amazing this place looks and feels. The rich history and splendid land and interiors.....look like what just the doctor ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would swear you need to start a travel blog. Your post are always making me want more. What a beautiful place...and next time, take me with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you guys weren't playing who sank my submarine under the water were you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mistress....how beautiful! It's like the glam mountain life from years ago. The word that comes to mind when thinking of these pictures is magical. Stunning interior, amazing setting in the mountains, and wonderful time with friends....doesn't get better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your tours. So much history back East. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hope you don't get a YEAST infection from that hot tub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No yeast inflections but things were on the rise I noticed

      Delete
  10. Why if you ask me this places is “Great Gatsby meets Dr Zhivago! It is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU NAILED the feeling the way I was searching to describe the place.

      Delete
  11. I use that yeast in my bread maker!

    you were near one of my fave spots in NY - hyde park, home of FDR.

    and your ass is the one on the left, correct? no wonder all the boyz want a bite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never been to Hyde Park...must check it out and yes you are correct!!!!! You win a life time supply of yeast!!!

      Delete
  12. That place looks beautiful, and I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks quite idyllic, Mistress! The happiest looking chickens I've ever seen and an abundance of white meat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was more legs than a bucket of chicken at KFC.

      Delete
  14. I have a number of my least favorite extended family members with second homes in Fleischmann's, which means I will never go there. Clearly you have shared a very good reason to visit. What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we can slip you in and out before your family would know. And the martini was better than expected, but don't know it's something I would want again. I do like red beets and eggs though.

      Delete
  15. P.S.: A BEET martini?!?!? That has got to be the most disgusting thing I have ever heard of... Now I have to try and get that image out of my head! I hate beets!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mistress, that looks about heavenly right now....after the winter we had here in Ptown. I could use a Catskill weekend. Lives the chickens! And I see you still have some tan line left!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just enough tan to get me to summer again hopefully

      Delete
  17. Nice wintry getaway, and such a gorgeous home; rather cheeky, though, some of the shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun being cheeky, but this should be spring!

      Delete
  18. What a superb retreat - and such great photos (of course I'm intrigued with the hot tub...).

    The beet martini is a new one on me. I've never heard of it before.
    I do, however, remember Rock Hudson's chocolate martinis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little intrigued by the same thing myself.

      Delete
    2. Was it the bubbles that intrigued you Jon???

      Delete
  19. Beet martini? I'd like to try that! I recently had beet ice cream which was surprisingly tasty, in an earthy, beet kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was surprisingly good, but not my favorite.

      Delete
  20. Wow....what a great choice for a weekend. I am getting a very Dirty Dancing feel to the place.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for posting this. Next time east, I need to go to this place. I usually love rustic outdoors place like this. That interior is downright stunning. And as long as I have a view from my room of the hot tub....even better. Love the history of it too

    ReplyDelete
  22. An utterly amazing experience! It reminds me of those old mountain glamour of yester year. But no pictures of your hunks emerging from the hot tub?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were shy that day, what can I say?

      Delete
  23. You always gives us just barley a peak! An incredible weekend from start to finish by the looks of it. I could spend some time there myself. Like the Dog's Mother said, what great history the place has, and no where like the great east of the Us has better history, and stunning architecture. That Ivy is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Spillian is one of those hidden gems... in the middle of Catskills. House has such a unique vibe, I am loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This isn't your run-of-the-mill Catskills barn-style venue is it??? At least with views like that.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness! I wanna visit! I wanna Visit!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Why does one always expect to see the set of "Dirty Dancing" when seeing pictures of the Catskills? :-)

    Happy Wednesday, mistress. Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!