Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day



Happy Saint Patricks everyone! Are you doing anything special for the day. This year The Mistress isn't going out to drink as that it is a every weekend occurrence!!! No this year I going to make a corn beef brisket and cabbage accompanied with some beer! Just for shits and giggles! Being part Irish I have to celebrate. But for the most part I'm a European mutt of Dutch, Irish, Swiss and Czech. Two of my grandparents being born in those countries, then moving here.



Saint Patrick's Day is a yearly holiday celebrated on March 17th. It is named after Saint Patrick, the most commonly recognized of the patron saints of Ireland. It began as a purely Christian holiday and became an official feast day in the early 1600s. However, it has gradually become more of a secular celebration of Ireland's culture.



Originally the color associated with Saint Patrick was blue. However, over the years the color green and its association with Saint Patrick's day grew. Green ribbons and shamrocks were worn in celebration of St Patrick's Day as early as the 17th century. He is said to have used the shamrock, a three-leaved plant, to explain the Holy Trinity to the pre-Christian Irish, and the wearing and display of shamrocks and shamrock-inspired designs have become a ubiquitous feature of the day. Then in 1798 in hopes of making a political statement Irish soldiers wore full green uniforms on 17th of March in hopes of catching attention with their unusual fashion gimmick. The phrase "the wearing of the green", meaning to wear a shamrock on one's clothing, derives from the song of the same name.



Today customs of Saint Patrick's Day is widely celebrated in America by Irish and non-Irish alike. Many people, regardless of ethnic background, wear green-coloured clothing and items. Traditionally, those who are caught not wearing green are pinched affectionately. Seattle and other cities paint the traffic stripe of their parade routes green. Chicago dyes its river green and has done so since 1962 when sewer workers used green dye to check for sewer discharges and had the idea to turn the river green for Saint Patrick's Day. Originally 100 pounds of vegetable dye was used to turn the river green for a whole week but now only forty pounds of dye is used and the colour only lasts for several hours




Then of course there is my favorite part. DRINKING!!! And the corn beef and cabbage of which I will be par-taking of this year. And you can't forget all the hot looking men in kilts!!!!!!!!! I love to see a man with a nice shillelagh under his kilt!!!!!


13 comments:

  1. Happy St. Patty's Day to ya Maddie!!!!


    and the balls under the kilt KILL me!!!!

    LOVE YOU MADDIE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kilts are cute! But aren't they Scotch, not Irish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3/17/2010

    Happy St. Patrick's Day to you too!! Thanks for the wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you too!
    Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy St. Pat's to you too! I am glad to hear that you get in a healthy dose of celebrating every weekend!

    I never knew that a kilt could be so sexy! Thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3/17/2010

    Happy St. Patty's Day to you too, Mistress. Gonna out now to see if I can spy me some kilts, and celebrate my lineage of Smiths and Joyces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is St Patricks only about men only wearing kilts? With nothing under of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mistress Maddie #1 Fan3/17/2010

    Happy St Patty's Maddie! I knew you wouldn't be drinking today.LOL!
    If I ever wore a qilt my luck would be the last pictue with my big jewels hanging out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happpy St. Patrick's Mistress! What are you up to today? I love me some corn beef. I 'll be over around 8ish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miss G is right , I think. But who cares when you get to see some hot skin heh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coco de Mere3/17/2010

    Corn beef? Yuck you can have that crap, no offense. Happy St Patty's Mistress

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maddie the pics were delectable.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maddie: The Scottish wear the kilts; not the Irish. But, Happy St. Pat's Day to you and Curt. Luck of the Irish. I love me some corned beef and cabbage. Do you have any left overs???? LOL

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!