Sunday, March 21, 2010

Great Talent-Esperanza Spalding


So I mentioned in a post the other day that we left work early since we were all caught up on work and the weather had been so beautiful out. Spring fever, y'all know how that goes. My co-worker suggested we go "comparative shopping" which we did. But after the work hours we hit up a sake lounge for some light bites and happy hour cock-a-tails. The place wasn't to busy since it was so nice out and too early for happy hour just yet. While we were there, a music artist was there performing I had heard of somewhere. We caught just the tail end of her rehearsal and it was pretty damn incredible sounding. The artist was Esperanza Spalding, who is a jazz musician who resides in New Jersey.

Esperanza Spalding is an jazz bassist and singer. While most artist are usually a vocalist or a bassist, Esperanza does both and very well! I just love the sound of her voice and her tunes. Of course I am a lover of jazz music. I understand that Spalding had intended to play cello, but discovered the bass during a one year stint at age 14 at the prestigious performing arts high school, The Northwest Academy, to which she had won a scholarship. The school was not a good fit, but the bass was. Spalding found high school "easy — and boring" and dropped out. When asked in 2008 why she plays the bass instead of some other instrument, Spalding said that it wasn't a choice, but the bass "had its own arc" and resonated with her. Spalding says that for her discovering the bass was like "waking up one day and realizing you’re in love with a co-worker." By the time she randomly picked up the bass in music class and began experimenting with it, she had grown bored with her other instruments. Her band teacher showed her a blues line for the bass which she later used to secure her first gig. After that, she went in to play the bass daily and gradually fell in love. And ever since has been creating lasting melodies! She was amazing and in just that 20 minutes we heard her perform, I'm hooked. It's a good thing she wasn't just coming on to perform, otherwise the Mistress would have spent the entire night there, drinking sake, and getting sauced, then how would she get home!

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE Esperanza! She has been to Philly many times where I have seen her at Upstairs at Valarri! She is fraking amazing!Great post and how cool to hear it, at a damn sake lounge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Batina3/21/2010

    LOVE HER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esperanza not only has some great talent but some nice style too. I have heerd of her about on our public radio up here. She is quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mistress, what a great blog you have! So many different intrests! And to be honest I never really followed drag queens but, wow. I may have too. I was googling Esperanza and you come up. I love jazz and I recently really started getting into her. She is really taking the jazz world by storm and is a real up and comer! Great post. I never really read blogs but I could get hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love me some jazz. I think bass adds a lot to the sound.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leave it to you to bring a new talent like the wonderful Ms. Spalding to out attention. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Esperanza Spalding is a natural wonder. Her voice is so soft and enticing and has a powerful strength, without ever being overwhelming. I could just sit and listen to her for days. So excited you were able to see her perform Maddie. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!