Thursday, April 11, 2024

OLD SCHOOL

Over the weekend while in Philly and at brunch, talk turned to drag. Our clan was a fixed bag of a few young, mostly middle aged, and a few older fellows. The topic arose when one of the clan was discussing Plain Jane on the current season of Drag Race. Now mind you, I have nothing against Plain, but she does come across nasty, mean spirited, and a chip on her shoulder I feel. I'm not sure she knows who she is. Though she did lighten up as the season neared the end. No, I'm still no fan. I did however take assault with her comment towards Sapphira Cristal in the latest episode, about letting Sapphira do her old, you know old school.  Pretty sharp comment considering she thought she did well, and ended up in the bottom, while Sapphira placed high.  I know on the drag circuit there has always been an age old question... new drag or old drag?  There is a stigma that old school queens don't support or understand the new school. I think it is true to a point. My friend's argument was, it's time to move forward to new school. But I disagree. While new style is needed, these new queens have to find and have a schtick... and connect with an audience. Many of these new queens, even on the Drag Race that I have seen in person, just don't connect with an audience, and I have seen some of them lose the audience.  There is more to a drag show then just looks and social media. I can tell you, people not in the know about drag, were to go see, say Sapphira over Plain Jane, might enjoy both...but I can tell you... they will leave and remember being more entertained by seeing a Sapphira show over a Plain show. Even in Ptown, the staple queens like Varla, Miss Richfield, Thirsty Burlington, Dina Martina and Mamma Tits far outsell tickets to shows then when Ru girls are there. There's a reason. And it comes down to knowing your style, your crowd, your drag herstory and connecting with an audience. I have seen many a Ru girl fall flat with crowds off the show. While I do love and adore all drag queens, my heart will always go to the old school and those queens with the real staying power.

Sherry Vine

Lypsinka

Jackie Beat

Coco Peru

These queens are a true testament and the reason I myself got into drag and feel in love with it in the first place. They didn't have the luxury of a tv show to get the on the map, or managers, or social media. It was all them and on their own. Drag was also about being campy, silly, outlandish and vulgar...not about being highly polished, editorial, and try to pass as female and fishy as you can get. They had to beg and work there assess off for club gigs, which is not easy to do in a saturated area of queens take my word for it, and many are far more involved in their communities and grass roots efforts. More importantly they had style and schticks and knew how to entertain a crowd henny.  In my years doing drag I went from a crowd queen to talk and shmooze the club crowd, to drag shows and hostess, and then went into Boylesque eventually. I was always known for my sky-high hair, hair accountments, dance routines, and one never knew what I might show up in.  If you connect with the crowd, you get gigs and clubs and parties want you.  Many lip synch, have dance routines, but many also had real singing talents, insult comedy techniques and write and produce their own shows. Some, all the above. 

Charles Bush

Lady Bunny

Dina Martina

Edie

Sister Roma

 Now while I'm not siding completely with old school, I prefer an old school queen over a new school queen more times than not, because that's what I prefer, but if old school queens don't encourage change in drag, or any kind of art for that matter, then what's the point? The drag scene has to evolve, and old school queens need to accept that. Drag is performance. It's about projecting a fantasy into reality and captivating an audience with it. And if you don't have that, a queen's career is going to be short lived. I will say though I think old school queens find it much easier to connect with an audience though and its why many leave talking a week later about a show they just saw. 

Joey Arias

Peaches Christ

Hedda Lettuce

Hot Chocolate

Miss Richfield 1981

There are a handful of new school queens who I think could have a long career in drag, like Jinkxx Monsoon, Trixie Mattel, Sasha Velour, Nina West and a few others, but they have a very wide arrange of looks and repertoire in their acts. The specialty horror drag, and the goth type I think will have a shelf life. Most local drag almost always falls back on old school type drag and drag shows. I mean, how many queens these days will, or hope to have, a drag career like the legends in this post have had, and still do? My advice? The new school queens need to stop with just the crutch of social media, being just a look queen, and KNOW and connect with an audience.
Varla Jean Merman

Here's to the entertaining staying power of the Old School Queens! May all queens have long careers like these gals.

30 comments:

  1. Classics are classics for a reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True dat! Classics are always in and have staying power.

      Delete
    2. Nothing like the classics...or a classic drag show!!!!

      Delete
  2. I like the classics and I like the new; I think they could feed off one another and learn from each other.

    And you're spot on about Plain Jane; didn't come off as nice at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can rock old school drag... do it and make us gag on that old school charm! If you add a twist to the style of drag we are used to seeing good girl... get yo coins henny. Do queens these days have the staying power as these hard-working legends...the jury is still out. They don't make queens Ford enough like they used too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just it!!!!! Just makes us gag and feel entertained. Some of these queens don't even know the words to lip synched sometimes.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous4/11/2024

    As a older gay guy, I've been visiting your blog for years because of your perspectives and commentary on drag, life, friends, and many other things you have thoughtfully commented on (I also grew up outside Philly and spent many a day in New Hope and Upper Bucks County). This is the first post where I actually began to understand some of what you've been referencing about drag all along, something that had always been very foreign to me. Thanks for this explanation of what you're now seeing now in the drag universe. It was more helpful in my understanding of drag than you probably intended because of your insights around connecting with the audience; it never occurred to me that social media was a factor. Like I said, I'm an older gay guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment and for stopping in Anon!!!! You tickled me. Philly has a very rich drag community. Nice to see it so full again.

      Delete
  5. You know how I feel about Drag Race. Queens are meant to entertain not jump through idiotic challenges. You either entertain or you don't. I'm a newer queen, within the last 10 years, but have always embraced the older school drag humor and style. I have seen social media queens or Drag Race queens fall flat on their face because they can't hold the crowd...or the local girls suffer, because the crowd comes to see the Ru girls, have a meet and greed and then leave after their set is done. And after a mediocre set I might add. If the crowd wants semi entertainment and photo opts, then drag is in trouble. These queens you featured have the right stuff. Us queens these days will be luckily to see half the years these legendary bitches have been around. These new up and coming social media whores and some Ru girls are just to entitled. I have far more respect for these sisters pictured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would hope that most newer queens would look at this list and know them and their work. Social media, a tv show and just looking editorial and as fish as can be? It's just not the only element. You best perform and connect...or game over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy all drag queens, but your list here, and let's be honest, these are the queens that brought me to love drag, and all these years later are still making me laugh and entertained.

    I will also agree about Plain Jane. Just what has she has done that is no different than any other queen of her style who has been on previous seasons???? But honestly, are we seeing anything new on their anymore??? Sapphira I will say has that talent of the five-octave voice we hadn't seen. She is a good example of old and new. Here in Philly she molds the two beautifully. THOSE are the queens with the staying power and the crowd pleasers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a straight woman I get what you're saying. I love drag queens. I have seen new drag queens but then left not really recalling what made them special let alone their name. No queen can make me laugh like Miss Richfield 1981 though. All these years later and I can still see her playing the jew harp or a ukulele, with her songs. Hilarious!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I saw my first drag show in 1992 or so. Obviously old school, and the whole scene, gay life in general, was very "underground". I'm now of the opinion that it can't stay underground, that it has to make as many inroads into the mainstream world as possible, but that's more intellectual reasoning. Emotionally, I loved the old us-against-the-mean-straight-world feeling of gay life back in the day. And I think that's one reason drag queens connected with their audience. They weren't performing on TV or in huge arenas but just in rinky-dink bars. You could go up to the stage (or sometimes just sit at the bar as they were a little like strippers in that respect) and TALK to a drag queen. I remember one time walking up to the stage and the drag queen giving me a big kiss on the lips! You're not going to get THAT watching drag on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point. Our locals' queens are always accessible and mingle with the crowd. I went to see three Drag Race queens once, and after the show they split , probably for a more bougie club. They were good, but to me that is not connecting with an audience. They get an air and big heads once they come off that show. NOT all of them mind you, but they are.

      Delete
    2. Your right Kirk!!! It's the best feeling when one mingled in the crowd...or when the queens are accessible like that. Most of these queens in the post are lile that. It's called creating community.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous4/12/2024

    Tundra Bunny here...

    I've always regarded drag queens as performers who entertain via singing, dancing or comedy routines (vulgar or otherwise) to engage with their audiences. Watching what are essentially beauty pageant contestants traipse across a stage is not entertainment in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like sharp-tongued and witty, but I don’t at all like nasty. And I adore old school.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cap Chasen4/12/2024

    I'll take the old school queens. I don't watch Drag Race, but when I have fell upon it, all I see is bickering and fighting and drama.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sister Roma looks a little bit like Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still remember Drag shows on Thursday nights.
    I still remember Drag bingo on Sunday afternoons.
    I still remember Drag artists who would make you belly laugh for one hour with their routine.
    I do like some new Queens who go all 'old school' and stand their ground. Plane Jane does have room to grow. When she does, she's going to be great.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Ya gotta have a gimmick." But, honey, it takes talent to survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep.
      And that's what some younger Queens do not seem to understand...

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Pat...Nymphia Wind on drag race....one of the three finalist has a gimmick of the color yellow...and breathtaking hair and ensemble styling....she is flawless. But don't see how she would put on an hour long show if she had too. Most of the queens in this post have a gimmick and then build on that and there drag persona. Some of these young queens don't get that.

      Delete
  16. Most of these ladies look as if they'd have a real larf on stage and give the audience an even bigger larf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having seen most of them and know a few....your spot on!!!!!

      Delete
  17. Old school never really goes out of style, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love 'em all, but I especially love Miss Richfield.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was lucky enough to be in Savannah to experience Club One and the Lady Chablis before all the social media/TV hype. It was always great fun and SUPREMELY entertaining. I'll always love the classic old school queens! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there was one of the true Southern Divas. She can hold a crowd and she didn't take any shit from anyone. I surmise her conversations at a bar or entertaining alone.

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!