Sunday, April 14, 2024

FLORALIFCATION CONTINUES

 

After what was a rainy week with strong gales, it was a lovely weekend spent at the Casa du Borghese being a domesticated minx. It's been a busy two weeks. You may recall the huge 75 ft Eastern White Pine that was leaning when we had a very heavy snow in February. It unfortunately had to come down, a sad day...and it looks most odd since the tree has always been there since our family lived here. The arborist said if he could have the wood, he'd knock down the price. Turns out, it wasn't anywhere near what we thought it might cost. I saved some wood for the firepit too and gave him the rest. Still said to see it go. Otherwise, the garden flowers and flowering trees and shrubs continue to bring us joy.

This was the snow that made the Eastern Pine lean. It's the big one in the middle. If you saw the tree from the street side, you'd see the lean.

I took one last picture the day it came down. I'll miss it. The squirrels are already confused as they used it for a "highway" of sort to connect to oak tree in the back garden.
It actually got taken down quite quick.

The new skyline. I opted to not have the trunk and roots ripped up, as it was going to uproot many parts of garden and the lawn. I today sowed hundreds of wildflower seeds.
 The stump will pay homage to the long-standing tree. I have plans to do a potted garden on the top of the stump, and today, surrounding the stump are the wildflower seeds of coneflower, daisies, dwarf lupine, cosmos, zinnias, cornflower, larkspur, bee balm, scarlet sage, aster, poppies, Indian blanket, bishops flower,canlendula, blue flax and Sweet William. Finger crossed.

In other grounds news we were also delighted to see our Burkwood Viburnum bounced back after three years of not blooming. After a deep cut back last year...it is in full bloom once again!!! Heavenly!  If your not familiar with this bush, it is a densely full, deep green leaf bush. In the spring it blooms a sort of "nose gay" bouquet, of little clustered flowers that smell absolutely delicious of orange and clove I would best describe.

The weeping cherry bloomed in all its glory for two weeks...but is now snowing its pink petals all over.

Pansy power continues.
Our white and pink dogwoods will be the next to bloom this week. The bud are just about open.
Not sure what this ground cover is called, but was surprised to see more crocus come up.

Another project done this week too. A new driveway was put it. But it wasn't all gardening this weekend. There were some refreshing beverages to be had in addition to me baking a quiche Lorriane and a pot of Cabbage Soup which turned out very tasty if I say so myself.

So there was that. 
Feel free to email me if you'd like the recipe.

32 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss, Maddie. We had to put down our front yard tree (some kind of cork I think) a couple of weeks ago. It was our squirrels' jungle gym. It died from a beetle infestation. I'm thinking about putting some glowing pebbles on the stump since I suck with growing things. I wish I had your gardening talent and a healthier body to use it. On the brighter side, Bella's still alive and kicking, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl! At least you have an escape. In the city, all I have is a little balcony.

      Delete
    2. Here's to both of us Deedles to still having our old fur kids!!!!! Thanks heavens we still have several trees to provide shade and protection.

      Delete
  2. Oh...that sucks that the tree couldn't be saved. That thing was huge!!! But I think your plans sound wonderful. Everything else looks so darn pretty. My parents have a Burkwood Viburnum, and I agree it smells AMAZING! Your right too...orange and clove is the smell. They smell wonderful in vases too if you bring them in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neighbor from the other end of the street have commented on it being gone. It really changes the skyline to the street after all these years.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to see how all those wildflowers do girl. I just love seeing all the flowering trees. And do I want to recipe? HELL YES! I love anything with cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, did you offer him up your wood?

    So pretty. I am hopeless when it comes to a green thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the weeping cherry!!!! They remind me of cotton candy I don't know why. I cannot wait to see all the wildflowers. What a great idea for the stump. Sorry to hear about the pine though. What a grande tree it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the lilacs to look forward to soon too.

      Delete
  6. Sorry you lost your pine tree. I always feel guilty about having a tree cut down but sometimes there's no alternative. We lost a pine a few years ago. They left the stump and i have a statue of a classical lady stood on it. It looks good.
    All your blossoms mirror whats flowering here too.
    Still cold, wet and windy here. Spring is dragging her heels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd how we take cutting a treed down isn't it??? Almost like it's a character in a story. I know your garden must be looking stunning, and I hope your enjoying that greenhouse.

      Delete
  7. I wish someone would cut down the weed trees in our neighbours' gardens - they drop leaves and seeds all over our garden!

    Storms or no storms (and we have one going on here in London as we speak), Spring is a beautiful time of year. That is a pretty Viburnum, never heard of the variety - and cherry trees are always a joy.

    Jx

    PS The ground-cover plant, by the way, is a spring heather (Erica carnea). It covers the moorland in places like Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring heather!!!!!! I knew you'd know!!!!!! We had another nice rainstorm last night late.

      Delete
    2. I thought Erica carnea too. Like you Jon I have next door tree problems too; a line of mixed conifer and Eucalyptus and other trees over 40 foot high and less that 10 feet from our house. Fortunately they stand to the east and the prevailing winds come from the west. Seeds and rubbish from the trees end up on my car in the footwell of my front windscreen where a blasted squirrel planted a walnut! I have had sycamore seeds germinate there - I suppose I could set a new fashion - being arrested for having trees blocking my sight of the road.

      Delete
    3. Blasted squirrel had me in stitches Helen!!!!

      Delete
  8. Too bad about the pìne, but life goes on. AND it gives you a new opportunity for gardening. I love your idea of wildflowers there. Thanks for the gloriosity of this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted wildflowers...but didn't get any full sun anywhere before. Fingers crossed they come in.

      Delete
  9. Send me that recipe too!!! I love cabbage! That pine was a huge tree. I would have been sorry to see it go to , but netter to be safe than sorry. That makes for excellent wood in things not to mention a lovely scent when burned. I of course loved all the flowering trees. I actually have a few dogwoods here. I too love the scent of the Burkwood Viburnum. I would love to get another. Your little shovel is so cute, dare say old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That little shovel was my grandfathers.

      Delete
  10. you live in a paradise

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a lot of wood, what would you ever do with that? Enjoy the gardening. The holly bushes are blooming here, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it is always sad when a tree must be taken down. Love the idea of putting the potted plant on the stump and the wildflowers around. That will be so pretty - you'll have to post some pictures. Saw a plant on This Old House that i wish would grow here....Popcorn Ball. Ever heard of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... I have heard of them. There are several around the neighborhood. I myself had a Cassia.....they get long spears of yellow flowers and smell like popcorn. You should look into them. They smell just like buttered popcorn and do very well in hot climates.

      Delete
    2. Oh, cool. We need something to replace the 3 trees along the south side of the house. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Mine did real well here, and I posted pictures of it in the summer last year on the blog. It unfortunately gets too cold here in the fall and winter so it died off, but in your climate in may come back year after year. They can get up to 9' feet tall.

      Delete
  13. I'm sad to see the tree go myself, but from my time as an underwriter I know it's best to bring it down before it does six figure damages to a home when it falls. I also love cherry trees myself. I wish I could have one myself, even if it sheds a ton of pink leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when the petals fall...it looks like pink snow.

      Delete
  14. You have been getting all kind of things done!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!