Tuesday, November 17, 2020

MURRAY

 Drag encompasses many forms other then just gay boys dressing in drag. Let's not forget about drag kings. While not as strong in number as drag queens, there are some talented kings out there, and one of my hands down favorites is the hilarity of Murray Hill.

 I just adore his drag persona right down to his mannerisms. Just looking at him makes me chuckle like when I look to two of my favorite comedians. Jackie Gleason or Rodney Dangerfield. Murray Hill is a NYC legend, comedian, host and larger then life.  Murray is renowned for his funny improv, quick wit,  and snark... and sparkly tuxedos. No doubt Murray is the cities reigning king patriarch of downtown performance. For years his Murray Hill Show  was one of the hottest tickets in town. Outside of Lady Bunny, his act is one of the funniest show I've seen. And I love how he never breaks character of his alter ego, much like Bunny, Coco Peru or Miss Richfield. Off stage Murray is one of the top gender benders and has received many a citation for his good and positive works for and with the LGBTQ community. No doubt too that Murray has helped with a resurgence of drag kings, tearing up gender norms. It was his love for Benny Hill, that he started his persona and show... and in the last decade he no longer inhabited his real name and self at least in public , and forged an individual name for himself. To me Murray was always a stand out. He's a performer with a full act-not just someone who can deliver a lip-synch number. The audience is in on the joke that Murray is actually female, but his character is so charming that his personality and sctick overrides his sexual identity.  Like so many other performers Murray has not taken to the stage with the pandemic and has been affected by this like so many other drag counterparts, but has started doing some shows on his Instagram live. Gods knows we can all use a bit of Murry Hill in our life.


26 comments:

  1. How fun. I bet Mr. Murray is a gas. Looks fun. Thanks for sharing this. I think that whole drag king community needs more exposure... our rainbow has a lot of room under it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There surly are some talented ones out there!

      Delete
  2. I love Benny Hill and I bet I'd love Murray just as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's wonderful. Really. Taking his act on the road as it were to help the community is what makes this stand out for me. Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Murray!!!! I too just bet he bring down the house. And your right...just seeing the pictures made me chuckle. I get a Jackie Gleason vibe too. I'd love to catch his act one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm firing up YouTube after this and I will look for his videos. You had me a sparkly tuxedos. And anybody who hangs out with Lady Bunny AND Joey Arias must have the best stories!!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine the stories? I have yet to see one of his Instagram Live shows yet but plan to catch one since he started doing them. I did Hedda's last week.

      Delete
  6. Love it! He looks like the love child of Lea DeLaria and Alex Karras!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex Karras!!!!!!! I never knew anyone that knew his name!!!!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. YES! That's who he reminds me of!

      Delete
    2. I had no idea, but looked him up, your both right.

      Delete
  8. Deedles is absolutely right, hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And a better mustache than I have ever grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use a black shoe polish...no worries!

      Delete
  10. And a great name, too. He's perfected the look of the cheesiest lounge act. Would love to see him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing you from your blog, you'd probably love his show Mitchell

      Delete
  11. I'm kinda getting Lea DeLaria from Murray, and that ain't a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He is working that burgundy suit! He looks a riot henny.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Showbiz at it's best honey. I caught a show of his once two and I just couldn't stop laughing. He knows his art.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this lots!!!!!! Now that's how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Murray had nailed it...big smile, sparky suit, double chin, and the cheesy club schtick.....

    I love it!!!!! And yes to more drag kings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Murray!!!! Charming fun and hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here Here, bring forth the drag kings.

    Long live Murray Hill. He is a trip and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  18. what hoot! I have not encountered Murray until now.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!