Sunday, November 22, 2020

LAKE GALENA

In these times, and with my pandemic summer retreat of glamping and the mountains being over for now...it's times like this that I'm thankful for having the glorious lake five minutes up the road. Each season, it's changes right along. Even as the temps are starting to dip lower, I still try to go and get my 6 mile walk and jog in. I will go till it is just too cold anymore, or it snows. The lake has a paved trail the whole perimeter which comes to just over six miles, so I divide it up into four parts. I start out walking and then jog, then walk and end the last part jogging. It generally takes me about and hour and a half to do the whole thing. One side of the lake can get very hilly too. You can feel the burn on the legs. But some days, I may take one of the many  dirt trails that break off the main paved one. Some go deep into the woods. During this time, it's been great because it's only been the locals who live on the lake or the near by streets like yours truly. Just last week was one guy still running shitless!!! I didn't mind...he was hot. I took my camera yesterday and took a few snaps.
This view is from the dam looking toward the Nature preserve at the other end. At that end, one can see many variety of ducks, geese, turtles and heron. It looks so big. I some days don't know how I manage to get the whole way around. But when I start out, I don't think about it.  In the summer, on the days I don't run, I rent a canoe and paddle the perimeter of the lake. Gives a good arm and chest work out. OMG....I almost sound butch!!!! But come the end of September the boat rental closes. 

Yes!!!!! Wild turkeys run rampant at the lake and this time of year even venture down to the Mistress's abode. It is their time of year after all. In the summer months, I suspect they venture further into the woods.
A Katydid on the path ....
I always thought this curvy twisted, intertwined, tree was cool. In the summer it's covered in wisteria. This also means it's my half way point on the path.
A black headed turkey vulture. They are there in numbers...after all the huge fish that get beached from wind blowing the water, making waves.
And it's for this sunset before leaving the lake that makes the whole thing worth it, and for giving me some solace in these times. How can you not feel at peace from the world, for that moment,  even for a couple minutes. And for that I'm truly thankful.

41 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, I had a walk up to the "lake" (i.e. tiny reservoir that has naturalised) near where I live today, too! Yours is much more spectacular, though. That sunset, for a start, but also the vibrant colours (katydid, leaves), giant wildlife (turkeys, vulture), huge erect wood (did you see that shirtless runner again today???)!
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear...i didn't realise my erect wood was in the photo.....

      Delete
  2. Beautiful lake, excellent images!!! Would love to be tagging along on that run!
    Apparently we both had the same idea, cause I took a run around one of our local reservoirs...some great cloudscapes, textures of grasses against the blue sky, lake views etc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds!!!! I very much enjoyed you email and pictures.

      Delete
  3. Fun tour!
    Here we walk along the huge Columbia River
    that comes down from Canada and empties into
    the Pacific.
    take care, xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to keep active and excerise

      Delete
    2. I have visited the mighty columbia river; very scenic!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous place for a walk and sightseeing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't blame you one bit. Nature has been a savior for many of us during this pandemic. I don't blame you one bit for enjoying the lake. Breathtaking picture Mistress.

    Loved seeing the turkeys, but they may want to keep a low profile till after Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...a low profile...at least to weeks end....

      Delete
  6. Love this! And that sunset picture stole the show. You know me, im all about getting outdoors and enjoy it with exercise. That a great walk and jog to do.Get outdoors and enjoy...especially those in the northeast. Otherwise will be a lonnnnnng winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply incredible. You chose a great place to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to think...I didn't want to move here in the beginning?!?!?!?!!?

      Delete
  8. Oh I loved this. I especially loved that first photo and the last. That sunset is spectacular. Those turkeys gave me some giggles. You have a lot of wildlife there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very pleased with that sunset picture. So peaceful there on that dock. Get meditation time.

      Delete
  9. I saw some turkey vultures in my area on wednesday as I was driving up to meet your for lunch. the vultures like to congregate at a nearby middle school field; at times it can look like the school scene from the movie "the birds".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only see them at the lake here...but not in huge numbers...i like the wild turkeys better.

      Delete
  10. I don't live far from Hinckley, Ohio, which has a "Buzzard Day" once a year. It's when flocks of turkey vultures return to roost around a lake, much like the one in your photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have buzzards here when i first lived here. They finally got lured in when many places weren't lowering their dumpster lids...and they never left.

      Delete
  11. Hubby and I went for a couple of drives up in mountain and hiked in to some creeks. I only see a few vultures in my life. There plant of wild turkeys in North Idaho.
    Stay Safe and Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gobble.....gobble!!!!!
      🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃

      Delete
  12. ... I'm waiting for you to start doing drag survival entries... where you run around naked and eat disgusting things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...that was in the 90's...many a drag survival day and eating of disgusting things.

      Delete
  13. I couldn't possibly pick a favorite picture...but that sunset is perfect damn near perfect. Bucks Country is by far the prettiest county in the south East I think. It not a concrete jungle like the rest of the Philadelphia area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the farther out you go in chesco and montco, the less concrete you see. I'm between KoP and plymouth meeting; so much damn crap it makes ya sick!

      Delete
    2. I sure didn't miss the KoP when I left working over that way.

      Delete
  14. These photographs are stunning. You have captured the tranquillity perfectly.

    I have never seen or heard of a "Katydid" I shall Google it.

    Thank you for this post. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard of them...but never saw one. Neat.

      Delete
  15. What a great trek. You’re fortunate to live in such a beautiful area. I spent the weekend gathering leaves. It was a bit brisk but the activity kept me warm. And I’m thankful for the bloggers I follow that bring me joy and a little sunshine to my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice compliment Huntley!!! Im glad they bring joy.

      Delete
  16. Pretty place, big turkeys

    ReplyDelete
  17. How beautiful! I'd be testing the ice each day, waiting for the time to lace up my skates!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last couples years the lake never froze....too mild here.

      Delete
  18. how marvelous! Wish all of us had such a spot to go to we would be a better lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I a great escape I can tell you that.

      Delete
  19. At this point....Im so out of shape...just looking at the lake and you jogging it gives me heart palutation!!!! Such pretty pictures. I enjoyed seeing the turkeys. I had no idea they ran wild. I like the ducks swimming there too in that one picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my....i didn't even notice the ducks!

      Delete
  20. Like you, I have resorted to big open spaces and nature to kind of appease my running mind. It's been a blessing.
    I love your pics!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could run together...or I could just chase you!!!!!

      Delete
  21. Those turkeys!!!!!! That lake is so picturesque.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!