Friday, April 10, 2020

RAPUNZEL

Listen, even in times of plaque, one must remember to still be fashionable!!! This is the Mistress with Ms Moorecock when we have to finally head out!

I haven't spoke lately about my own quarantine yet. But after some emails, some of you are very intuitive, and saw a change in my tone after one post. That was the day I found out a favorite cousin did indeed catch the covid -19 virus. So far, I think she is going best as can be expected.  I have been fine for the most part. The loneness' comes and goes. With exception to taking walks, and walking Buster,and a few car rides, I haven't been out of the house otherwise. The libations and food pantry are nicely filled, so I've not yet needed any trips out.  I do think I may have a bit of anxiety when I do have to go out. But when I do, I have just the protection, thanks to the fabulous Juno Birch for this idea.
And don't think for one moment I wont!
I can go right to washing dishes once Im back! 

This must feel how it was to be Rapunzel, trapped in that tower. I have been home since March 12, when we closed our doors. For a while, till last week, we were getting paid, but then the company decided to furlough the whole company on the brick and mortar side. Im now hearing a June date to return. That had me worried. I immediately started to see where I could cut cost. I also have stock too dump if I need too. I also applied for the UEI which will help when it arrives. I'd should be fine for three months at least till any assistance would arrive.

The biggest issue for me has been the social aspect. I can bounce easily from intro to extro very easily, but by nature, Im usually very social. So far not to bad...but NO MEN!!!! This just might be the longest  I've gone without any relations! The horror! I have been emailing and texting many friends, and have talked to many on the phone. I and past blogger Auntie Flame, Joy, had a lovely hour long conversation one day. She's a hoot. The clan and I have already cancelled the time share for the beach trip at the beginning of June, and Warbucks and I cancelled a Portofino trip for July. Being in Italy, we have no idea what the state of things would be there or here. We were both bummed. And no Lad either. But we have Skyped. I'll leave that right there.

I have gotten together with one neighbor, my ex Colorado earth loving "straight" neighbor, Brice. That helped fill the void at least one night, till things tide over. Nice conversation, some drinks and watched a movie. We haven't seen each other now, since he went back to work doing landscaping. While he works alone, we haven't got back together since then. Just in case. We have had talks from our windows though!!!!

Much has been done around the house. I got my file cabinet cleaned out and shredded old tax returns from years ago, and old bill statements till the current year. I have also cleaned the windows and decided to shampoo the carpets. Why not right? On the first day of the carpet cleaning, I was taking the water out to empty it. When I was going down the stairs, I decided to skip the last 8 or 9 steps and took a real nice trip, landed on my back, naturally, with the water container flying all over the place. I lie there thinking I might be dead. But since I didn't see any nude Hugh Jackman floating above me, I surmised I wasn't dead. Luckily the houseboys got me up and back to the peid de terre. I did end up with a nice black and blue mark.
Flowers have helped.
This arrived from Warbucks one day at the door. One of my favorite guilty pleasure's...Turkish Delight. The candy, not the men. But I like them too. As one can see, I've made a huge dent.
This will be my only Easter Im afraid. Of course I still did a few touch, of my vintage Easter decorations given to me from the Dame, and my grandmothers rabbit.
This year, will be the first Easter ever to my recollection,  I won't be with family. With my uncle and aunt over 75, and my mother working part time in a rehab, we thought it best to forgo my aunt's traditional dinner. Since I'll be alone, I called the butcher from the market Tuesday, since they to are closed, if he had any nice meat. I told him, a nice thick piece. One to make the mouth water. Lamb that is.  So... I have that coming tomorrow. Ill have that with asparagus with a crème feta sauce over both, and rosemary potatoes. People sure have been nice. The butcher knows my coffee guy at the market and asked if I needed anything from him. So I got two lbs, which he will bring with said meat. And luckily the lady up the road has been bringing me my fresh eggs from her coop, which is the only thing, otherwise I've needed. I took a walk to her the one day, so I could feed her two horses.  Nice to help the local business and neighbors going. Those hyacinths above were from another neighbor who works at a nursery. Boy do they smells nice.

I have also done much cooking, most nights I have a cooked dinner. I have made hot crossed buns, about four loaves of bread for the egg lady and butcher when he comes, and yesterday made peach turnovers. Notice how one is gone already.
Then one day the landscaping showed up.
LOOK!!!!!!!
By DAMN! MENS!!!!!!!!!!! PAPI'S Oh it's been so long!!!!!!
The only good thing about this pandemic has been the excellent affects it's having on the environment. I've long said that Mother Nature was just filing her nails and finishing her cocktail, and would be with us shortly. Humans can not keep taking from the planet, trashing the planet, tearing up more and more land, using it's resources while polluting the air, yeah Im looking at you Ru, and being cruel to animals, and hunting them for sport. Such greed and hatred and racism. I have long said there would be a reckoning...and I don't think this is even the tip of the iceberg. Mother Nature is only just getting started. And she would have that right as far as Im concerned.

I think we are entering a new time, and will be living a new normal going forward. Hopefully we will learn from this, but I sadly think not. But maybe one day, some day, a prince will show up and finally rescue this ice queen from it's enclosed tower walls.

50 comments:

  1. First things first. Glad the cousin is better. And The rubber gloves! Guurrrllll. Approved.
    Then, the vintage Easter is totes up my alley. It makes me happy to see the situation with the company has not zapped your fabulousness. I feel you. Many are planning ahead because this situation has affected us all.
    And lastly, the Men. Hunny, it’s been awhile. I totally feel you. Sad thing is first thing I’ll ask a man next time I go on a date is gonna be: how was your social distancing?

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see a big touchy feely groping kind of group huge coming.

      Delete
    2. I knew you'd love the gloves Sixpense!!! Sound like Cali Boi has the party in the planning stage already.

      Delete
  2. You will survive! You are strong, you are invincible. I am missing traveling, but we will explore the adventures of the world again one day. Love the gloves. Much better than the ill fitting plastic I see people wearing to drive their cars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely flowers, and turnovers, and turkish delight (yum), and MENZ! my lawn guys were here monday and tuesday this week; you would have enjoyed the view.

    I've made white poppyseed bread (for sammiches) and beer bread (for morning toast) this week. now that I completed an inventory of my baking supplies, cornbread and brownies and chocolate cake are next.

    we had a half case of wine delivered yesterday from a winery near allentown. we cannot find this particular wine at the grocery store; only the state store carries this brand.

    hang in there, sweetie! we love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your in a baking frenzy like myself sounds like.

      Delete
  4. So glad your cousin is recovering.
    Those gloves are fab-u-lous darling!

    This is a very poignant post, dear Maddie
    I'm sure a lot of us feel the same. I'm lucky enough to be locked in with my other half and we get along great.
    I do worry about my youngest son. He works in the hospital, lives alone and is quite an introvert. We are in touch by messenger and Facebook.

    I had no idea you were a culinary goddess. Your wares look amazing!
    There's a terrible shortage of all types of flour here. Can't get a single bag.

    I do hope you haven't injured your lovely body by falling down the steps. You hadn't overdone the gin, had you?

    We have had to postpone a cruise up the Danube until next year but it doesn't matter. We will have it to look forward to.

    You take good care of yourself. Sending lots of love. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep your son and you all in my thoughts. Thanks for the kinds words. And have a Happy Easter.

      Delete
  5. Good news about your cousin ... sending positive thoughts.

    I am like you in that i can be happy alone or happy in a crowd, but, of the two, I like the quiet me times. Carlos and I have developed a way of being in the house together and yet giving one another space; there are walks through the 'hood and yardwork, housework, cooking etc. It's much more difficult for Carlos because he loves being around people all the time.
    And even though i am, NOT YET, over this self-isolation, i do know that one day it will start to irk me.

    Hopefully this will ease up before then ...

    Stay safe. Keep baking. Imbibing. Posing. Making us smile. A new day will dawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im with you on the self isolation thing...the only part I can't take is the not ordering in of , well , huh, Let's just hope a new day will dawn soon.

      Delete
  6. It's tough, for sure. My other half has now been furloughed, too. The UEI will help us get through - along with cooking (which few people know how to do) - being frugal by baking bread and such (which few people know how to do). But, my mistress, I caution: Do not sell off stock unless it is a dire, dire necessity.
    It sounds as if I need to send you a few somethings to cheer you up a bit. I'm one who can be perfectly fine alone or in a crowd. But, it's the forced isolation that begins to have an effect because it's not our choice.
    I'm happy your cousin is holding her own. Stay home, keep yourself safe. This will end, things will be a bit different, but things will go back to normal. Many warm hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems everyday, is a different mood. I have to admit, some of these days it's been nice to not be around people. Hugs to you.

      Delete
  7. We here, in WA state, have cancelled school
    for the year. All my school buddies have
    retired. Now they are itching to do the
    home and outdoor projects but many stores
    are closed, reduced hours, stand in line
    to get in or don't have what they need.
    Take care, be well, best hopes for your
    cousin. xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our schools too closed for the year also.

      Delete
  8. "This too shall pass."

    I'm thinking post corona and how to capitalize. Purell mouthwash, Purell lube, Purell bodywash, Purell deodorant,....

    Hope your cousin is on the mend fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purell lube!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Looks like you got your first customer already.

      Delete
  9. You've been holding things in too long, sweetie. We are here for you, sort of. My yard boy mowed my lawn (well that green stuff that's passing for grass anyway) real good this past weekend. I had to pay him with "hot old lady" sexual favors. It was a dirty job, but somebody had to do it! Best five minutes of my recent life! Well, it was Balder Half, and we suck at role playing, but it was fun while it lasted and I can see my yard again. BH is homebound only on the weekends. His job is considered essential (no, he isn't a gin maker) so gets to go out and breathe in every germ left in town. On weekends I become the burly witch to his surly bitch. Bob said he is both at the same time. I admire that in my Bobulah, but I digress (as usual). Both my east coast bestie and my west coast one fell down. They are both too old to be breaking hips at this time and I told them so, dammit! So far, I haven't made it a hat trick and totally intend to keep it that way! My left big toe, however, seems to be turning black under the nail. I don't know if I stubbed it (I can't tell with the neuropathy going on down there) or if gangrene is settling in. It doesn't hurt and if it doesn't spread, I'm not going to worry about it.
    Now about those gloves, sunshine. I see that you are not adverse to wearing hand crocs *ducks and runs*! I'm sending you all the love and warmth in my heart, Mads. You're like a son and daughter to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right Deedles. When I worry or get sad or depressed, I never share or do not like others to see that side...but I still try to carry on, even thought I may hurt. What can I say tootes....it's a gift!!!

      Delete
  10. I too loved this post Maddie. What I like is you have worries, sadness, and can be upset, but yet, you somehow always manage to carry on, by yourself too I'm guessing, and keep us all smiling and happy and laughing. For the very reason, is why I love your blog. Sure if may be risque and silly at times, but you feature very little news. We need that escape as it's everywhere. I'm sure your dinner will be fabulous. I know you can cook. Those turnovers look amazing! I noticed I didn't get one, but will forgive you. But I liked that you opened up...it's good as Deedles said to let it out. And you know I adore your Easter decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy we really got a open view of you this post!!! And I love it. You should let the wall open more often. We alllll need to vent. I think the hardest part for me has been the social aspect too. But you communication with your neighbor from the windows cracks me up! you definitely know what the word persevering means.

    ReplyDelete
  12. its hard to keep a good bitch down.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the flip side, it's good to keep a hard bitch up. Oh, I do miss my brain cells!

      Delete
  13. A wonderfully newsy post, Mistress! You do everything with such style and panache!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sure hope you didn't do any un foreseen damaged when you went down those steps!!!! You damn lucky...especially if you damaged your , well, you know. What would that do to the moral of our men? Watch those steps! I am not going to dinner either, but your dinner sounds like it will fill the void...and those dish gloves!!!!!! Yes bitch! I bet you give people out a good chuckle. Hang in there friend. I too have cancelled all travel plans.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm only surprised you weren't out entertaining the boys from landscaping, with a rendition of Everything Coming Up Roses? We are in scary times that for sure. We will all get through supporting each other right? That's what we do.

    Hang in there and many hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me with the yellow gloves and gingham shirt! Your right...even in a pandemic, you look great. I'm not going home for Easter either, my parents thought it best also. But I can't cook a lick, so it might be just candy. You have a better outlook that me. But those turn over looks yummy. You bake too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But can you lick a, oh that's cook. Never mind.

      Delete
  17. Your like me. I tend not to show all my sides to people either and hold a lot in. I have good days and bad days, and the emotions are all up and down. We lost our first resident this week and really broke the hearts of many here...he was a longtime dj of our radio station. He'd been on the air for two decades. Your gloves made me laugh thought. So yeah open up more it helps. I love your Easter touches.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hang in there. I can't believe you took a tumble down the staircase!!! Hope you are alright. Shall I virtually rub your leg to make sure it's fine? Which one is it? And yes...You need to let the wall down sometimes. Let it all hang out. Your dinner will be better than mine. I need a store visit again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh....Im sure your magic hands will find the spot dear.

      Delete
    2. What happen to your blog Cali Boi?!? I miss it.

      Delete
  19. I send you, and all much love and good peace through this. We all need someone to lean on. I give you kudos for getting through these things alone, as I know you have in the past. I only wish I was getting more done around my house.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're so right about the environmental impact. Our air is so fresh here. I wish I could walk on the beach and put my feet in the water. I'm sure it's never been this clean. I so admire you. You're a rare mix. So glad you're able to cope (mostly) with being on your own, given how happily social you can be. Portofino will wait. One of my favorite little escapes, and I haven't been there in a long, long time (before SG). Tore a muscle in my leg my last time there. And that, my dear, is another story. Stay well. Enjoy your sweet memories of Easter and make this one special for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Best wishes for your cousin’s quick recovery...photo #1 is exceptionally fine and appropriate...and of course the flowers - love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those turnovers looks simply divine. And it must be nice to have your meat delivered, wrappped for safety, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well with my farmers market closed, many of the vendors will deliver currently, which is very nice. It's always safety first with me.

      Delete
  23. Your always able to cheer yourself up and still carry on. I always say one has to have a dark and a good side to balance each other out. When one side fails, the other is there to pick up the pieces. I'd gladly come rescue you to be my hubby! Loving those gloves! A new normal for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  24. "Listen, even in times of plaque, one must remember to still be fashionable!!!"

    Even in a pandemic your fabulous! Hugs! And watch those steps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My goodness! You’re lucky you didn’t snap something going down those stairs. And I’m sorry you got furloughed. And I truly hope your cousin recovers quickly. When it rains it pours. You will get through this. And it’s good to vent. Just look at Sixpence’s blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never ever even strained anything, let alone broke a bone. I have never even been in a hospital either. I still have all my original parts I was born with.

      Delete
  26. So sorry to hear you took a Fall during Pandemic, but glad you are okay. I took a Senior Fall too during Lock Down and jacked up a Shoulder... and had a Dental Crown fall out too... I have lousy Timing what can I say? I agree that Mother Nature is reclaiming some territory now that the pesky Humans are Caged up. I've enjoyed seeing Bloggers sharing the Wildlife coming out in force and staring in at them as if we're now the Entertainment Creatures to go visit and stare at! I miss the Social aspect too, it's so unnatural and cold to not have Human Contact and to suspiciously Eyeball everyone when we do have to take the risks to go out for essential. Be Well and Stay Safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bohemian!!!!! Thanks so much for stopping by. Yes, when I went down, My first thought was 1-Im not old enough for this yet, and 2-Am I dead, and 3- Did I break anything. The correct answer is NO!!! LOL! Oh I have felt that eyeball thing, just walking my dog...it feels uncomfortable. You hang in there and you and yours stay nice and safe. I will have to pop around to visit you too luv.

      Delete
  27. Hang in there handsome. Literately. I've seen your hang.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Despite the social distancing and associated loneliness, it sounds like you have quite the little community there with your butcher (baker? candlestick maker?), egg lady, nursery guy, and Brice!
    I'm glad to hear you weren't too badly hurt in your little trip. Still, it's something different to do, I guess...? And I hope your cousin is well again soon (on the plus side for her, it sounds like she'll be immune when she is recovered).

    And the Marigolds? Practical and stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ever since I read the C.S. Lewis book I have always wondered what Turkish Delight tastes like. For awhile I didn't think it was real, then it was only available in the UK. I want to try some. Is there a proper type? I don't want no rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes it's real Spo It is a family of confections based on a gel of starch and sugar. Top premium varieties consist largely of chopped dates, pistachios, and hazelnuts or walnuts bound by the gel; traditional varieties are often flavored with rosewater, mastic, lavender, Bergamot orange, or lemon. Warbucks always brings me some from either England, Budapest or Istanbul when he visits. If you order any from these locations you wouldn't be disappointed, but I have found Shane's Confectionery in Philly here does a dam pretty good Turkish Delight.

      Delete
  30. I'm getting stir crazy myself. I sure hope your cousin pulls through the crisis. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!