Tuesday, September 12, 2023

MS.JAFFE

If you get to Philadelphia and love drag, you'd have to check out the Eric Jafee, the genderfull glamour monster! Ms. Eric is a unique hybrid of queen, full of musical numbers, hilarious comedy, ingenuity and knack for turning down what people may think drag "is", and completely turning it upside down, has elevated him to the top of his game in the city of brotherly love's drag scene. He's come a long way since we first met. After sweeping some of the biggest categories at the Philly Drag Awards, where he won the title of Drag Queen of the Year, Ms. Eric himself was surprised when his now fiancée proposed to him live at his 5th anniversary show of the Eric Jaffe Show at Tavern on Camac. This queen grew up in the thick of Philly in Elkins Park, where he went to services and was Bar Mitzvahed at Beth Sholom and raised in a strict Jewish household. If you haven't noticed he's also Philly's infamous bearded queen, taking upwards of over 2 hours to get ready. Eric plays ukulele, sings, and does pure hilarity in his shows, along with a good dose of filth. As a queen he doesn't identify as a female impersonator, but rather an extension of himself or another character. For him, his drag is a perspective on gender itself because for him being a bearded queen, Eric proves he can be a glamourous creature who just happens to have a beard and hairy chest. In addition to his comedy, which he credits his Jewish background for his show's humor, he also brings his Judaism into his drag...which make for some hilarious shows, including the Chanukah themed songs and plays Moses in an annual Passover skit.

 Check out Eric Jaffe weekly at Taven on Camac, his upcoming cabaret The Lizard of Oz, and on his Instagram.

21 comments:

  1. Ohhh
    Love me a bearded Queen!
    And love a Drag artist that goes 'against' the grain. Why go for the hyper-femme when you can do genderfuck much better?

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. My friend that does drag up at the campground Because by the name Aurora is probably one of the most stunning bearded Queens I've ever seen. Fun, can't be and glamorous. And he is so Butch as a guy I think people are flabbergasted when they find out he does drag.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely love the whole vibe going on here!!! And the color! And the style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since moving to Philly, I adore this bitch!!!! Ms. Thang is entertaining as hell henny. Have you caught The Lizard of Oz yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with his style and his background his personality just all comes together.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous picture of Ms Eric!!! ADORE out Philly Queen! I very rarely miss one of his shows at Tavern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos. I just watched the video Your Fault/Last Midnight. I didn’t know the witch said “Shut the fuck up.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think dressing like a woman and keeping his beard is brilliant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember when Mathu Anderson was one of the first Queens to emerge as a bearded drag queen. And he is absolutely drop dead fierce. He went on later to be RuPaul's makeup artist and wig designer. At least they had a falling out. He is brilliant.

      Delete
    2. why should he hid his beard?

      Delete
  7. What a unique look and style!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of the funny with the musical numbers and the flipping of the script!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun is that? He's both a drag queen and a drag king. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of Ms Eric. but she sounds like a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these pictures! If I'm ever close enough to your neck of the woods I would love to meet you for coffee/tea or wine, depending on the time of day. Catching a Philly drag show would be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm always game. As long as you're not crazy, or an escape convict. Philly's got some excellent drag shows.

      Delete
  12. Not many bearded queens can pull together glam and comedy well, but he is stunning. I almost don't even notice the beard he's that good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That fluorescent look is amazing! I have heard good things about him here, but I have yet to see him performer, but have seen him in person. He is so glam and camp. Brava I say.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mrs Jafee obviously has a GSOH!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!