Thursday, August 6, 2020

I'M BREATHLESS

Have you ever watched movies and see yourself in those on screen characters? Over the years there have been two for me.. and Breathless Mahoney was one for me. 

 And all this comes about for a couple reasons. First off Madonna has been a icon  for like...ever. The film Dick Tracey also just turned 30 this year.  I for one LOVED the movie. While the movie was a box office hit, many a review said the movie was so-so, but Madonna herself actually got the best reviews for this movie then any other. I have to say, I feel as thought she gets ripped on her acting, and to the contrary, I feel she did quite a excellent job of it in Dick Tracey, not to mention Evita she blew out of the water, and was sultry in Body of Evidence, but I thoroughly enjoyed all her movies. I can and have seen worst acting.  But it was her Breathless Mahoney that captivated me the most. When the movie hit, I did not know what I was in store for when Dick Tracy came out, or what to expect. And then I saw Madonna. Too date, I have never seen Madonna look more beautiful or radiant then in this movie.

In retrospect, Dick Tracy probably represents Madonna at the peak-iest of the many, many peaks in her career. The movie came hot off the heels of her groundbreaking Like a Prayer album, and her Dick Tracy companion album I’m Breathless, which is secretly my third favorite album of hers..... featured the world-changing single “Vogue.” Those two albums fueled the iconic Blond Ambition World Tour, the only one of her huge tours I got to see,  and was keenly aware of,  because Madonna was as omnipresent as the sun in the summer of 1990. All that is to say, when you watch Dick Tracy, you’re seeing Madonna at the height of her Madonna-ness—and she delivers. 

She stars as Breathless Mahoney, a vampy lounge singer, a dangerous seductress, and the ultimate comic book femme fatale, and fond of a good cock-a-tail. So I already saw myself in her a lot already!!!!!  But Mahoney does more than writhe on Dick Tracy’s desk and pull him into her shadow. Madonna plays Mahoney with all the tension of a clenched fist. She’s a woman caught in a bad situation with very little in the way of exits. I've been there too. 
See the resemblance? High slit in gown, champagne bottle, dirty look at children.

When the movie had come out, I wasn't yet doing drag, it would be a couple years later. When I did get my act together, I came back to the movie and decide for a "breathless" based look, which would change and evolve years later. The first shows I had were songs from the Dick Tracey album too. It just all seemed fitting....and in my young days I always seemed to meet the wrong boys too...and my second long term relationship was a mistake from the beginning...can you say Lips Manlis? And like Lips, he too is departed. Like Breathless, I can be good, and evil, a vamp and a tramp, but would settle for the right guy. I'm can definitely be the " you don't know if you want to hit me or kiss me" boy. It's sometimes eerie to watch a movie and see so much of yourself in a character. Turns out funny it's one I love , played beautifully by a celebrity I love.

This also comes about because I had a vivid dream I was Breathless, and my Dick Tracey was none other than our Uptonking!!!!! If you have seen him, you'll understand why. he pushes the right buttons, and gets the kitty purrrrring. The next morning, I thought to myself, I just bet that would be the dynamic we would have too. While I gather Uptonking is not a golden boy, he is definitely a class act, worldly, and knows how to treat a dame. And he seems up to the challenge of a good minx. I can see the scene already.....


So I dedicate one of my all time favorite Madonna songs to my private Dick....Tracey, the Uptonking. Some girls, they like candy, and others, they like to grind, I'll settle for the back of your hand somewhere on my behind. Boy does this song bring back good memories. Was one of my favorite routines to do.


So if you’re going to watch Dick Tracy in the year 2020, right here and right now, then you need to do it for Madonna’s acting and looks first and foremost. Do it for the gowns, and not for the glorification of the police. There’s one aspect of the movie that’s aged exquisitely, and it has nothing to do with Dick and everything to do with this dame.

38 comments:

  1. Honey, when I could not heart you more...
    I loved that movie. I love the saturated primary colors and the idea of redemption in excess. I also loved Madonna in that role. Dick Tracy is the epitome of artificiality and archetypes and that includes Breathless and nobody could do that better than our Madge. I don't think, as many people do, that she channeled Marilyn into Breathless. I think Breathless Mahoney is purely a Madonna creation and that's what makes it so cool.
    Also, this: "See the resemblance? High slit in gown, champagne bottle, dirty look at children".
    That's my Maddie.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sixpence. Her playing the role could not have been better cast...its the equivalent of Angelina Jolie playing Maleficent.

      I knew you'd enjoy that line with the kids.LOL!!!!! We need a Madonna movie night!

      Delete
  2. I have never seen this movie. but yeah, madge was flying high in her career at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated the comic strip, and I dislike Madonna intensely, so this is a no go for me. I do like Evita and A League of Their Own, but that's it. I can see why you're attracted to her, though, so whatever trips your trigger. I think I'd like you better in that outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im not a huge fan of Madonna either, but if you like old sounding music and musicals and fashion and Warren Beatty, hubba hubba, you'd like this movie. Your other two are favorites on mine too Deedles. She was magnificent in Evita.

      Delete
    2. Well Deedles, how about in the remake, Ill be Breathless and you can be Tess Trueheart to Dick Tracy???

      And Agnes....oh yes Warren looked so handsome in this didn't he?

      Delete
  4. I will give it to her that, at least in my mind and yours, she never looked better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You slay me... and give all sorts of meaning to the term 'spank'. Absolutely blushing (terribly flattered and more than a little turned on!). That said... I love Madonna in Who's That Girl. Everybody hated that movie and I absolutely adored it. Her performance is one of her best. And when she walks out in that gown and The Look of Love is playing in the background... to die for. I also love I'm Breathless. The Sondheim song alone is priceless. Thanks, hon. You made my week. See you in my dreams...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then......Tie my hands behind my back and, oh, I'm in ecstasy.

      Delete
    2. you'll be happy to know he sweats better in the dark.

      Delete
  6. That year we had 4 yr old twins and a baby.
    No movies for us!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cecil and I will put it on our watchlist and then we'll play dress-up afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the Dick Tracey movie too (30 years ago already?) and agree it was Madonna's best movie performance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A really good film, I thought, containing some first class songs. One of her many 'highs', surely. But that was then. It wasn't long after this when she started to go off the rails, and for the last couple of decades at least her life and inane comments have become haphazard and bonkers, the latest being her 'thumbs-up' for that Demon sperm 'lady'. How the 'great' - yes, she once did qualify - have fallen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too enjoyed the film, and loved the songs. I had no problem with Madonna getting older, but the off the rails and bonkers things.... is crazy. She could still get older do her music, I have no problem with that. if she could just keep her mouth shut, she'd be fine.

      Delete
  10. I absolutely agree that Madonna was at the height of her looks and talent when this film was released, and this was a great character for her. I remember the summer of 1990, and it seems to me now, in retrospect, that she was at her very best then.

    I also agree with Raybeard, though....she's gone off the rails in the last 20 years or so. She ought to be aging like a Queen Diva but instead she seems to be chasing youth and relevance like a has-been. That's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always hoping when she took her bow she'd go off gracefully.

      Delete
  11. Oh yes Maddie....I remember well those shows...if one couldnt see your inspiration they were blind. You nailed those. I too remember the blonde corkscrew wigs...a trademark for years.

    Now Madonna.Im a fan of course. I too never understood her getting ripped over acting. She was never in it to be a ground scattering actress. I always just enjoyed her movies too. But I will say in the movie Evita, I can't think of many you would have looked more like Evita then her or would have had the range singing. Many mentioned Broadway singer, but I understand that voice doesn't translate well when filming in those environs. No, she did good.

    No get get your dick girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too thought she was pretty good in 'Evita' and I've seen it on stage five times - nowhere near as 'poor' as many have called her performance. But I've got to say that, oh, how I do wish that [many will roll their eyes heavenward here] Meryl had got that role. S-o-r-r-y!

      Delete
    2. Meryl Streep!?!? She is good, but she is missing something for me in that part but not sure what. I can't put my finger on it. Of course ever since she played Thatcher, I have a hard time getting it out of my head. Every time I see her, I think Thatcher.

      Delete
    3. I believe that Meryl had desperately wanted the part of 'Evita' - but, in the final analysis, it was that 'money talks', and Madge had the advantage of being able to pull in her own fans to see the film, those who might otherwise have not been so interested. I think Ms Streep's acting would have been as high as standard as she never fails to deliver, and possibly her singing might also have been more accomplished. [As you can gather, I'm a great fan of La Streep].

      I don't keep recalling her Mrs Thatcher [thank heavens] though I do think her portrayal was remarkable. Maybe because I think that whatever role she takes on, for me it's so highly convincing that I just leave it and wait for the next one, expecting to be just as impressed, which I always am. As I say, unlike a certain American 'politician', I'm a H-U-G-E fan of hers.

      Delete
    4. Im a huge fan too Raybeard. I always learn something from you. I had no idea she wanted that part so badly. I wonder how she felt about Madonna getting the part then, not really being considered an actress?

      I have no idea why I can't lose the Thatcher image...drives me nuts. Because I liked he even more from Julia and Julia. She sure can immerse herself in another well known person so well.

      Delete
    5. I got the impression that Meryl was truly gutted at not getting 'Evita', and one can hardly blame her for feeling that way. It might well have been her entire career's peak. Still, I do give Madge considerable credit for her own achievement in the part.

      Delete
  12. I can contest to your Breathless
    charms...having been a victim. That's actually one of my favorite movies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since Madonna came way after my prime, I always knew who she was but didn't listen or buy her music, but I do know a Madonna song when I hear it. But when this came out, I loved her. Of course I really liked the nostalgic sound of the her songs, which is why it's the only cd I have of hers. I thought it was also pretty risky for her to do a whole album of the music, in fear what would her fans say and it wasn't something artist went and did...a whole album of music from yester year? She and the music were great in this.

    And this answers many questions about yourself too. LOL! I can see this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great album. Great movie. Fantastic MADONNA!!!!!!!!

    I would have loved to seen you do this number!!! If there is ever a revival.......

    ReplyDelete
  15. i definitely see the resemblance. both blondes looking for dick.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You as Breathless? I'd buy that!!!!!! Hanky Panky is actually one of me favorite songs of hers.

    Madonna was an excellent actress when given a proper role. Love this Stephen Sondheim song. The entire score deserves more respect.And she’s heavenly beautiful in this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cap Chasen8/06/2020

    Breathless and the Mistress aren't the same?!?!?!

    Hell Im 74 and even I bought this album of hers. It was so different for her to do and I loved the old timey feel of the album...which is very nice. I appreciate each song. Madonna presents a clean voice in this song. For this album I can mention other favorites such as "Sooner Or Later", He's A Man and many others.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have So many memories with this song and album . My best friend at the time was obsessed with this song and he used to perform this song also. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always leave me breathless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yes...I can mostly certainly see this. This poor unsuspecting Uptonking doesn't know what's about to hit. I also think many foget about this song and album, which is ashame. ...only of her best.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Madonna stole every movie she was ever in. She's the only thing I remember about Dick Tracy. The camera doesn't just love her, it's unable to resist her. I always thought of Breathless Mahoney as being a riff on Rita Hayworth in 'Gilda' - only covered in diamonds, a total supernova of sexiness. I'd have loved to have seen you do that thing you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a lovely way with words dear.

      Delete
  22. I watched this movie, but sadly I don't remember much of it. I absolutely loved her in A League of Their Own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do a re-watch. I had forgotten it had such a wonderful cast too. A visual delight and campy fun.

      Delete
  23. One of my favourite Madonna tunes too - but I haven't seen the film, which is somewhat remiss of me.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I rather enjoyed the film, and thought her performance was fine (much better than Evits). I have the soundtrack for Dick Tracy because - of course, I do.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!