Friday, August 7, 2020

GRANDE DAME...JIMBO

As soon as I saw Jimbo the first time, I was in love!!!! Jimbo is one of the talented queens who manages to bring everything he enjoys and loves-  clowning, drag, performing, make up artist, set design and costume design into one and bring it to the stage. The resumé of this Victoria,  British Columbia queen,  and trained clown Jimbo — which includes building a giant, 700-kilogram plywood peach for Kaleidoscope Theatre’s production of James and the Giant Peach and contributing to the glammy esthetic of Atomic Vaudeville’s Hedwig and the Angry Inch and The Rocky Horror Picture Show — makes him suitably prepared for a queen and to get on Canada's Drag Race. He's always been on my radar, his looks always surprise and shock...never disappoints, and can deliver a performance you won't forget. Over the years Jimbo credits being friends with artists of a great skill level that he was able to put together something really impressive that really showcased his skills, talents and performances and what he is able to bring to the his acts and eventually to the drag race competition. Like Manchester in England, the Victoria drag scene is so diverse and so cool, because the performers and artists in this town have this incredible drive to showcase their art, and Jimbo does just that.

Jimbo is a well-known personality around Victoria — as is James Insell himself. His quasi-legendary Chinatown studio and home, is where he creates costumes for  myriad film and theatre productions is just as famous as his personality, and in April he put his skills to work in another area: making masks in an array of designs to help stop the spread of COVID-19. Jimbo, his partner Brady Taylor, a wig designer, and fashion designer Sarah Runnalls have sold hundreds of their non-medical masks during the pandemic, and have matched every purchase with another mask donation to someone living on the streets in Victoria, to keep all protected, while the money went to the community to help out with other needs. There is some talent on Canada's Drag Race to be sure, but Jimbo is so memorable, so creative, and has such a fun and a not so serious take to drag that's refreshing. He makes me feel like when I was a kid and went to see the circus, And when it's over, you had those feelings of delight at seeing something great and fun. 

I wish him luck on the win.

And can I just say for a minute just how incredibly adorable Jimbo is? Oh yes. .....
Here's Jimbo with his partner  Brady Taylor. Yep. I would totally be the butter between their bread!!!!!!

15 comments:

  1. Love.
    In and out of drag.
    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he certainly has a big heart too go with his big...wigs! Handsome out of drag too. I love all of the color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Jimbo wins the whole damn thing. Such a talent, and such a bright light. 💡🌈🌎 Rita Baga is good to, but I sense a attitude with her.

    Love that whole bit about the masks too. Another queen showing how it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love her!
    I love Drag that covers the gamut: weird, clown, high femme, the works. I loved that BDSM Minnie Mouse getup and the HAIR challenge costume. She's the ish.
    I'm loving Canada's Drag Race but the judges sometimes get to me.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The judges panel is the worst thing about this show. Period.

      Delete
  5. OK, you shouldn't have shown him out of drag, or his boyfriend, because that's now what's basically got my attention😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree more. While I haven't seen the show or even know where to get it, I have been beefing up on recap scene highlights. I too was in love with him at first sight too. Such a fun personality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im so glad to see you feature Jimbo. I haven't enjoyed or fell in love with a drag queen in a long time till I saw Canada Drag Race. His looks are making me gag!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adore Jimbo and all his zany... and can't wait to work with him some day. He and Vangie have a comical banter going back and forth on Instagram...so I can't wait to see them meet in real life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OBSESSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm enjoying him on Canada's Drag Race too. It's so funny that he's based in Victoria BC and not in Vancouver. Victoria is known as a quiet, stodgy city of retirees and government workers. It's Vancouver with the big vibrant gay scene! But I'm sure he performs a lot in Vancouver too -- it's just a ferry ride away!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Someone give that bitch the crown now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jimbo is larger than life (in so many ways). I loved seeing drag queens in and out of drag. You never know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some Leigh Bowery inspired stuff there. Very striking. And how wonderful to have a photographer for a boyfriend. They make a cute couple. A theatrical background makes for the best drag performer. Because it's really about design and construction and bringing something of yourself to it. It's art.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!