Tuesday, November 14, 2023

JEWEL OF THE RIVERIA

 
One of my first views of Portofino as we arrived!

We arrived well, and I'm happy to report that my little pep pills got me through the 13-hour flight! Truth be told I was flying before we even took off!!!  That and a few gin and tonics. The trip did not disappoint. Warbucks even spent three days with us to my surprise for my birthday! So it was great to see him. Portofino Italy is one of those picture-perfect postcard places you recognize. One can't mistake the iconic U-shaped port, flanked by massive hills and mountains, with tidy row of similar, multicolored homes and building snaking up and into the hills, and villas nestled in the hills as well. Boats and yachts could be seen bobbing in the small harbor...there really is not a bad view or sight wherever you looked. Portofino was on my buck list for some time, and we also hit up Capi, Lake Como and Cinque Terre. So, what was so great about Portofino? For me it was just for pure relaxation, eating, drinking, and walking, more drinking, and beautiful views We had no set schedule, and did no planning, just went with the wind. I didn't want the hub bub of a big city. And the weather was perfect, still in the high 70's. After the flight, then an hour car ride, and finally a ferry took us down the coast to Portofino. A great way to arrive for the first time. I think my jaw dropped. It was also the perfect time to go as the tourist season was over, and by the end of November, I understand becomes a ghost town and just about everything closes. But it can be quite year-round too, say compared to a city environment. It was a much need trip.

Portofino isn't very big and although it's not easy to get "lost", you will definitely enjoy climbing up, down, and in between all the color houses and walking town streets to see all the eateries, flower and produce stands, and handi craft stands. Our hotel, The Splendido Hotel, not as rumors got around of the Hotel Portofino from the Itv show, lol...was very swank, yet charming, and the hotel and room had great views to the harbor, and the staff was top notch. They even unpacked our bags! They even insisted! Since we were spending more time at the hotel, we didn't mind paying more for our room. The concierge told us Elizabeth Taylor actually stayed there twice, along with a few other golden Hollywood royals.

Our hotel was the long building almost at the top of the hill. Spectacular views.

I also enjoyed my first Campari and soda!!!!!

The elaborately painted buildings and homes are a unique distinction that sets the Ligurian region apart from all the other regions in Italy. The tall terrace houses were built high to conserve space and decoratively painted to appeal to the eye. But this isn't to say we didn't sight see. We did take a few days to tour some churches, a lighthouse and an abbey, and other areas of the Riveria. I think the pictures for this post speak for themselves. I'm already to head back. The one thing that caught me off guard as the lack of fall foliage. But as MM#!1 Fan told me, notice all their trees were not of maple, oak and the like here, but all other kinds of tree and plants. The only color we really saw as in Lake Como of tree turning.


Who's ready? I'm going back next week!

42 comments:

  1. Portofino looks amazing! How idyllic! Your hotel looks wonderful too. I've never been to Portofino, but we did spend some time in the similarly lovely Cinque Terre when we were in Italy in 2008. I had the best pasta in my entire life in one of its little villages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the pasta here is rather a joke here now that I have tasted the real stuff. And the hotel was lovely...we even spent a whole day at the hotel alone, buy the pool.

      Delete
    2. I also visited the Cinque Terre and they are magnificent places. Speaking of food that, outside of Italy, is defined as Italian... only those who have actually eaten real Italian food in Italy can realize that food with Italian names is really a joke.

      Delete
    3. Your absolutely right Xersex!!!! The food was expensive, but I didn't care, it was delicious.

      Delete
  2. Whoa.
    Whoa.
    Whoa.
    That is absolutely beautiful. That sea! Those colors! The beach!
    And that man?????

    Also, Campari and soda are kind of one of the few cocktails I can take. Totally jealous that you got to enjoy Portofino. Did you learn something in Italian?
    Sto cazzo?
    You should have told Xersex you were going.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of Xersex, and he DM'ed me several times on Instagram. I'm not sure what part of Italy he is in. The man is MM#1 Fan. I liked the Campari, but I still think I'm more a Pimms Cup guy.

      And you can imagine what I learned to do in Italian!!!!!! So, you hit the nail on the head.

      Delete
    2. I'm from Milan. I hope you had as much fun as possible. Did you like Italian men?

      Delete
    3. Oh Six, you know Maddie got in on with someone. Probably under a fig tree.

      Delete
    4. Xersex....yes I did, and I do, enjoy Italian men!! If I ever get to Milan...watch out!

      Delete
    5. if you fall into my hands, I will eat you and devour you in a way that will make you remember Italian men as long as you live!

      Delete
    6. Xersex.....I think I'd let you too!!!!!! I have a few things for you to enjoy.

      Delete
  3. The colors of the buildings and the water and the hillsides are magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just you wait till you see the picture from Capri!!! I've never seen water so clear and blue.

      Delete
  4. That place looks amazing and peaceful. I'd go there in a heartbeat myself if I could stomach our domestic airlines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MM#1 Fan say with my mentality, I'm far more suited to live in Europe then the US. I could definitely live there.

      Delete
  5. Portofino is truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every photo is a beauty! The second photo is where I tore my quadriceps muscle! Still, the memories are rich and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I sensed you there! We spent some timing there sunning ourselves and met some very photogenic gulls.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous!! Stunning!!! Picturesque!! Never been but that is my kind of vacation. I don't need to see sites and landmark every vacation. Nothing wrong with just enjoying everyday earthly delights and relaxing.And a few Campari's.

    I admit to getting vibes of Evil Under the Sun. Did you play the part of Myra Gardner or Arlena Stuart Marshall?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's definitely Arlena! "She could always throw her legs up in the air higher than any of us... and wider." Jx

      Delete
    2. I loved that movie!

      Delete
    3. Jon is right Ursula...but many friends would tell you Im loud and zany like Myra.

      Delete
  8. So, so gorgeous. I would not be able to do the walking because of the M.D., but I sure could do the relaxing - and the eating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why don't we live there? The hills would be rough for some of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hills are alive with the sound of music I heard.

      Delete
  10. Lovely. Simply lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's all too, too, divine, darling! I would love to visit, and do exactly as you did: "pure relaxation, eating, drinking, and walking, more drinking, and beautiful views"... Bliss. Jx

    PS Bizarrely, the series Hotel Portofino (which I had never heard of until you mentioned it, so I looked it up) was primarily filmed in Croatia! I imagine it was a lot cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the show, and I did know that tidbit about the filming in Croatia. It is cheaper I read, and the production company used a drone to capture the arial shots of Portofino to sprinkle in each episode.

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful place! I can picture you living there, and I would come to visit you.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd let you too!!!! It was quite beautiful Janie.

      Delete
  13. im still in shock you even returned.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take me with. My, you travel in STYLE. Like Rita Hayworth or Ava Gardner!

    ReplyDelete
  15. With the colors of the building, the water, and boats, it’s really a beautiful area to see visually. I mean your picture are gorgeous. I can only imagine in person what it must look like. I really need to start traveling aboard more. I think I could live there, when do we leave.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG!!!!! Just how pretty can one place be?!?!?! The people of Italy are lucky to have such a beautiful coast line. I've been stuck on this post for 15 minutes taking it all in. I'm sure you must have hated leaving.... a place worth seeing with your own eyes to appreciate its charm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Insanely beautiful pictures and place! Like I said in another post, sure puts the California coastline to shame. As a swimmer, I'd love swimming in that harbor. Can't believe just how blue the water is.

    I also spied just one queen bed in your room. You know, for you and MM#1 Fan..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can't lie some boys like to cuddle.

      Delete
  18. We have always wanted to visit Portofino and this post did not disappoint!!! Wow!!!! Loks like you had a great time. Had no idea it was just that stunning. Love all the colorful homes. And the water?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm vacationing with you from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning....you had me with the first picture, and I fell in love more and more with each picture! And how wonderful is that fruit stand??? I could use even but a weekend there...I have no excuse since I'm in Europe! I've done Rome and it ended there.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!