Friday, December 19, 2014

SHINY BRITES ...VERY EYE CATCHING

 
This time of year brings back many memories for people from different times and moments in their life. And for me one of those memories is some of the ornaments on my Christmas tree.
I grew up with an Angel for a tree topper, and Shiny Brite glass ornaments on the tree. My grandmother's whole tree was practically all Shiny Brites. Do you remember Shiny Brite’s? Shiny Brite was actually the trade name of the ornaments, but the name has been confused over the years as the style name of the ornaments.
 
 
And that’s probably because there were Shiny Brites in many colors, shapes, and sizes. Like this assortment above...... Now, see why I like shiny brite balls!!! Ornaments like these were all the rage in the 1950’s and 60’s, and remained popular into the 70’s and 80’s. But Shiny Brites have been around since before World War II.
 
 
I have quite a few of these balls in the boxes like above from the Dame Courtney like above. The boxes have seen better days, but I don't have the heart to throw them out. This comapny now has some of the most sought after vintage ornaments from Mid-Century times. Before World War II Max Eckardt, an American businessman, had been importing Christmas tree ornaments from Germany. This was where most decorations came from at the time, but Eckardt’s company specialized in hand-blown glass ornaments similar to these balls from Poland.
 

These imported glass ornaments, so colorful and fun, were extremely popular. But as the war drew closer, Eckardt realized his ability to import ornaments from Germany would end. It was this foresight that led to the decision to start making glass ornaments in the United States. And so… Shiny Brite was established. The rest they say, is history.  And if you’re after vintage Shiny Brites, don’t be fooled. If you don’t know what you’re looking for in the vintage aspect, just be aware that today many of these designs are in reproduction by Christopher Radko. And that’s not a bad thing, it’s just a reproduction thing. But you also need to make sure dealers aren’t duping you!
 
 
Just because the box says Shiny Brite doesn’t mean the ornaments inside are Shiny Brites! Know your balls I say!!!! But is it just me, or do these balls make you happy too?!?!? I just love the look of them, with their colors. It why I love to just fill things with them like you saw from my post on Sunday. I love my Shiny Brites!!!
 
 
Do you have any shiny brite balls?

27 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure my grandmother has has a ton of these on her tree! Very festive post with education!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She probably did. Most people these days probably have them and aren't even aware. I just love the old fashioned look of them.

      Delete
  2. I remember these ornaments very well from the 50s and 60s. I don't know if ours were "official" Shiny Brites but I recognize a few of them in your photos! They are the memories of my childhood too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's the best part.....the memories!

      Delete
  3. Thanks to a very strict Lotion Regimen, i have Shiny Brite Balls.
    And some of the ornaments, too,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the feeling you glowed like a lamp post.

      Delete
  4. speaking of big, shiny orbs, have you ever gotten those summer beach pictures developed yet? I still thought those were peaches in the sand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peaches??? You have obviously mistaken me for someone else. My shiny brutes are smooth as a babies bottom.

      Delete
  5. They are pretty, but your all over the balls this week!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you say that like its not a regular week.

      Delete
  6. I was wondering why we went this long into the holiday season without a post on balls.

    I think my father's tree has some from before I was born, because they look just like some of those in the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shiny Brite objects always get my attention. Love the pictures. During your tour, I though I saw some of these glass balls in your assortment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty sure in my parents' collection there are some. Thanks for the history lesson.xooxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. made in philadephia, don'tcha know! down in south philly by the stadiums.

    my parents have many of these pictured here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Drugs and rock 'n' roll, bad ass Vegas hoes,
    Late-night booty calls and
    shiny disco balls."

    My kind of celebrations. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A girl after my own heart......late night booty calls! Happy days ate here once more!

      Delete
  11. Now I wish I celebrated Christmas, I love all these shiny glass gems!!!!! Cool history.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in full Holiday mode at work and at home. I haven't been by in a while. Loving your shiny and beautiful posts. I especially enjoyed your festive balls. HAPPY HOLIDAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mac,I had the feeling you had good taste.

      Delete
  13. Anonymous12/20/2014

    Beautiful Christmas ornaments, they remind me of my childhood, I don't own a single bauble, I really should have been collecting a new one every year but I forgot and going out to buy a brand new job lot seems so blah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree. A tree isn't anything if there aren't some memories in it. One should take time to fill it, instead of buying quantities to finish it off.

      Delete
  14. Awwwwwww.shiny objects!!!! They really are quite divine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool. I think my parents have them also. Nothing like balls for the holidays,wink,wink.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to run out now, and fill a deep dish with these. So colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Old. New. I'll take the vintage decorations over new. But how about yours in a dish?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh darling, I love my shiny brutes!!! I have oddles of them. And most with a story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always,did have nice big balls! I love these post.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!