Monday, May 24, 2010

Where's Mariah Carey When You Need Her?


Well another weekend flew by and the Mistress relaxed for so long as she could before getting antsy. Come Sunday I was ready to go do something, so the Mistress and Boy-Toy decided to go to the Academy of Natural Sciences in downtown Philly. It was a little rainy so it would be a perfect day to go. The museum itself is chalk full of all kinds of interesting things. I've always enjoyed natural history. I at one time I even wanted to be a archaeologist, but the parents weren't going for that. Get a real job they said. Anyyyyyyywho, on the way to the museum I took this pic of the hostas outside in the garden. I love to see the water beads on leaves.

We planned on seeing the whole museum, but the main thing we wanted to see was the beautiful Butterfly Arboretum. It was quite spectacular to see with all the butterflies fluttering around you everywhere, and so many different kinds. I should have worn my Mariah Carey get-up and sang my best Butterfly to all!!! I even learned a couple things I hadn't known before. Butterflies, features a lush, tropical garden filled with colorful plants and a multitude of live butterflies from Central and South America, East Africa, and Southeast Asia. The arboretum changes every day. Butterflies will usually have between 90 to 180 butterflies and 20 to 40 different species on any given day. Adult butterflies usually live for one to two weeks and the Academy of Science receives new butterflies from around the world each week. So, what's here one week probably won't be the same as what we saw here this weekend. They also have a window in which to look through to see level upon level of the cocoons where the caterpillars perform their metamorphosis. Some were still cocooned, while others were coming out,so neat to see. Here are just a few of the species we saw.







After the museum we had a wonderful lunch and then on to some cock-a-tails at one of our favorite bars to bring this baby of a weekend home, before heading back to work for the week.A long, but a fun day.Tootles.

12 comments:

  1. Those are very nice pictures! I need to get out more often and enjoy the scenery myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbie- It really makes for a lovely day out! If you get a chance it is worth it! Thanks for stopping by this little ole blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hon, you never grew your own butterfly? When I was four, I collected a caterpillar from the yard as well as leaves and twigs from the plants it had been near. My mom had my dad punch airholes in the lid of a jar. Once the butterfly came out of the chrysalis, my mom and I took the jar outside and set it free. After that I read butterfly guides endlessly. Thus my trip in February to the butterfly grove.


    Now added to the list. Next time you're here, we're going to Discovery Kingdom. Butterflies, dolphins and roller coasters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great day. Did not know of the two week life span, takes a lot of effort to run that exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yet another intrest of the Mistress! I have been there before but the butterfly exhibit wasn't there yet. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sound like the perfect weekend Mistress! The museuem is always a good idea when it is raining. And the butterfly pictures are stunning! Nice post about the place to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coco de Mere5/25/2010

    How beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool to see them up close like that. And you, a archaeologist! That's very intresting.I can't say I never knew anyone that wanted to do that. But I bet you have uncovered many bones ;0

    ReplyDelete
  9. This might sound weird, but I collect dead butterflies. I have quite the collection,all in huge glass shadow boxes. We have several butterfly houses near us. I a neat feeling to have them all around you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a great weekend! It would be neat to be able to get so close. Great pictures by the way. And you would look way more classy than Mariah honey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pics! I've been back reading, and you have many intrests my friend. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool place. I have been there with Mahogany, but had no idea that's what was up on the top floor!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!