Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Park Avenue Princess

I have no idea why, but the Mistress has always been fascinated by socialites. And I'm not talking about the tacky white trash of reality tv or that cheap Hollywood trash. I'm talking about real old money, with some class and finery. Good taste. From time to time I think of the late Nan Kempner.



All those "real housewives" who are touted as "socialites" should really take notes from Mrs Kempner, and her circle of friends that included Anne Bass, Blaine Trump, Georgette Mosbacher, Nancy Bloomingdale and Pat Buckley. These war horses would have had these wanna be's for a late afternoon nosh! But Nan reigned supreme. Nan Kempner was a New York socialite famous for dominating society, events, shopping, charity work and fashion. Nan was originally from San Francisco and later married Thomas Kempner where they lived in London for a short time, before moving to New York. She was also famous for her charity work. She raised $75,000,000 for cancer research, and had also amassed the largest private collection of haute couture. Later she was also a contributing editor for French Vogue and Harper's Bazaar and a design consultant for Tiffany & Co. I can remember when I was a teenager flipping through the pages of Vanity Fair and Town and Country to see her in the society and parties sections. I wonder if now looking at all the fashion she wore got me interested in working at luxury goods stores? And the fashion that comes along with it. Diana Vreeland, a pass editor of Vogue once said "There are no chic women in America. The one exception is Nan Kempner." Her style is definitely missed.








The Metropolitan Museum of Art added a whole exhibit of Nan Kempner's extensive collection of over 3,000 pieces of haute couture . I wonder if they would ever consider loaning the Mistress a few pieces? Tootles.



14 comments:

  1. She looks fabulous, and definitely what I think of when I think socialite.
    I just finished reading "Mrs. Astor Regrets" about Brooke Astor, also a fixture on the NYC social scene.
    Fascinating people, they were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11/10/2009

    I agree! These women are fascinating. And the trash on "Real Housewives" . . . I'm more of a socialite!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I graduated from Penn State and moved back home, I spent my lunch breaks at PHEAA reading Suzy's "Society" column in the New York Post. Every day it seemed Suzy mentioned Nan - who became my favorite socialite.

    Nan and Pat Buckly were the ones who made the Costume Institute Gala (the huge party in The Devil Wears Prada)what it is today - long before Anna Wintour had anything to do with it.

    XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11/10/2009

    I couldn't agree more. I lived in NYC for 12 years, and just being there I felt from reading the pages of the Sunday Times society page, I could live vicariously in their world. Sometimes, you felt like you may actually know them, and if you saw them on the street, it was so surreal. A real NY moment.

    It's true the new media-invented socialite bitches of today, have no idea what it means to TRULY run the show and raise the dough for charity.

    Miss Nan was never "Tardy for the Party". Class, class, class - grace under pressure, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know who she is, but her style is impeccible. Women aren't the same as they used to be, the socialites that is. Today, you can't even tell one like you used to. What happen to having some style and flair? As a woman, I'm appalled what we go out in anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mistress Maddie #1 Fan11/10/2009

    I think New York is about the only city left with true socialites left in it.What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marissa Devine11/10/2009

    I have always thought that Nan Kempner was a very sharp woman. I would love also to get into that exhibit to get some clothes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What class! I just wish I had some! And I could fit those damn scary thin clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honey.. I love me a socialite! I SOOOOOO want to be one! Now if I can just find the rich husband!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn, that must have been one big fucking closet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would you believe my aunt was very good friends with her! I remember seeing her once when I was very young and thinking who is this very sharp looking woman. I then knew I was so gay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coco de Mere11/11/2009

    Ms. Kempner just reaks of style! Days are gone with style like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such great style, Bunny Williams also. I still like these dames.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They sure don't make socialites like them anymore, thats for sure. She had such great style and did some many good things, for people and the community!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!