Friday, July 24, 2020

GRANDE DAME, THE FINGERS HAVE IT


A drag bombshell with lots of self irony, a well shaped Mae West body, and tons of hair, was a queen...Lady Fingers. 


Lady Fingers was a blog reader of mine. It sadden me when I got an email from her partner Cliff, telling me that she had pasted away this spring during the pandemic, as we had hopes to meet one day. Her humor was Lucille Ball, looks a cross of Lady Bunny meets Divine, and the voice of Dietrich. Lady Fingers was one of the first high profile drag queens and female illusionist on the scene in her local town of Huntington Station, and first hit the stage in 1972 with Neil’s Hollywood Follies on Long Island as Mae West. Within the next five years she befriended her mentors and many other drag queens. All of them great performers, icons in the New York drag and night scene,  and charitable fund raisers in their own rights. Lady Finger followed suit and produced her first,  and one of the first AIDS benefits in a Long Island night club in the early 80’s. There were more benefits and even Tupperware parties for GMHC to follow. In 1985 she moved west to San Diego with a couple of friends and discovered her home away from home, and met her life partner.


While there, discovering the essence of charity through a community of incredible people, she made a name for herself as a performer at scores of shows for just about every charitable organization in town. This led to a number of titles, Miss Sweetheart San Diego, Miss Gay San Diego. It was also here that she was introduced to the Imperial Court of San Diego where she has made lifelong friends and learned incredible lessons and what it is to love. She is proud to be one of the original producers of the Scott Carlson Thanksgiving Dinner, from its inception alongside Scott and for 4 years after he pasted. Now in its 32nd year thanks to the Imperial Court of San Diego when she could no longer do it and then move back east.



After returning to New York, and discovering that the Imperial Court System had reached the east coast, and there were members she already knew. . . she was elated. She joined the membership and stayed heavily involved while also doing charity shows all over and around New York. Four of those years were on the Board of directors, one as a member at large and three as Vice President. Before leaving New York for the last time in 2001, she was involved with not only TICONY, and her own shows, but took part in Wigstock for three years, and two invasions of Fire Island... before moving with her partner Cliff to Ann Arbor, MI. Once there, even though not performing,  she did run a wig business out of her home. Queens could order and have the wig styled by her personally, and she'd have them shipped. She was a queen of the stacking of wigs. I ordered one myself you may see one day. The one thing Lady Finger's never did because of society's looking down on it,  was to eventually transition to a female. Even though she was always about more of everything, over the top drag, and sky high hair, she always felt female inside, and lived mostly as a female right up to, sadly,  her passing this spring. She told me in an email once she wanted her and I to go just once,  to Night of a Thousand Gowns before she checked out, but it never did materialize, for health reasons. But if I ever do decided to go, I'll take a date, and in her honor wear the biggest gown and sky high hair I can find! May she be entertaining at the big cabaret in the sky.

Special thanks to her partner Cliff for taking time to send me this info and snapshots for this post. 

21 comments:

  1. I remember her. Had no idea what a trailblazer she was. Huntington Station in the early '70s! What a wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful soul and a true queen of queens. Rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful tribute, Mads. Slumber serenely Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic post, Maddie.
    Grande Dame indeed. The work drag performers did during the plague was incredible. I just can imagine the Tupperware parties. That second photo of her with the cigiie? Loves it! So sad she passed.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an extraordinary person!
    take care, xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a terrific human being! Sorry to hear this. Thanks for sharing her story with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still seems odd coming here and not seeing her comments anymore. She would always banter with everyone. I really should have been a guy man. And a drag queen. I still remember her happy moment picture she sent in was of her favorite reading corner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cap Chasen7/24/2020

    She is the appitamy of what drag was in the 70's and 80' before it got all compilated. To me she is what drag is!!! God love her. I bet she is bringing the stage down somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely and enlightening biography, Maddie.
    Rest in peace, Lady Fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must have missed where you posted she passed. I met her once at Wigstock and many would get her and Bunny mixed up...one reason she switched to dark hair. I enjoyed her drag as that is to me the old school way and I prefer this style drag myself. What a great post..so many queens never get any limelight. I enjoyed her comments too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG!!!!!! She is fabulous!!!!!!! I too remember her comments. I'm so sorry to hear she passed away. I know on blogs sometimes people disappear without notice, but I wondered where she went. That is sad to hear she passed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. t wasn't always just the well known queens who were the movers and shakers. She certainly liked her huge hair and the picture with Bunny is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always heartbreaking to hear when a fellow queen passes on whether you met them or not. And you know I love a queen with big hair.

    ReplyDelete
  14. does seem rather sad not to see her here commenting anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice tribute to a wonderful queen. And thanks to Cliff for letting us in on her life and those great pictures. She was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My heart to you on the loss of your friend. How very sad. But I applaud you for sharing her life story. This is the kind gay history that I treasure learning. And the kind that is captured in blogs, such as your own... these aren't big stories, but real ones, the kind a life is made of... and their contributions to the community need to be noted, celebrated and recorded. What a wonderful tribute to a very gifted, loving person. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Uptonking...while your blog is always entertaining....and you feature many interests it is one huge drag archives. It's nice to see that not onlt the well known get featured here. Someone needs to write these things down.

      Delete
  17. She was quite something!!!!!! Pretty and campy. I miss her comment on your blog. I only wished she could have transitioned.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Three cheers for Ms Lady Fingers!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just Love that 2nd Vintage Image, so Classic for the Era, so sorry to hear you've lost such a good Friend and Pioneer of Drag.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Clifford7/26/2020

    Thank you dear Mistress and to everyone who commented with such kind comments. I know that Miss Fingers would have loved this!!!! I can't think of a day that you and your blog didn't make her day...and you took her to places she couldn't make it too. Peace and love to you Mistress.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!