Thursday, July 30, 2020

DETOXIFICATION

No...this post has nothing to do coming off the previous post of drinking. It has to do with another fabulous queen who is legend in her own right.


Detox Icunt. I have long thought this queen is just pure perfection when delivering a sleek drag look with still bringing the camp and dream like aspect to her drag style. Her drag to me is very memorable. She reminds me of a  drunken Stepford Wife, with a touch of a muppet, and a pinch of  a runway model. Detox is an American drag performer and recording artist, and was a fixture on the Southern California drag scene for years before gaining prominence nationally on the fifth season of RuPaul's Drag Race.  Both her drag race appearances were legendary to me...I thought for sure she had the all stars win, and hell, even Detox will tell you she wasn't their mentally or checked in fully on season 5, and she STILL came if fourth. 


To me, it's not always about winning drag race though. Some of the queens who didn't win have gone on to be even more visible and done more with their platforms then some of the winners. Detox to me was one of those queens. She has never let herself become defeated...only prefects herself more. I feel she gets discounted a lot and looked over, and goodness knows why, she can bring it all. Her drags shows are one of the most entertaining. To me, in a way, she is like the Madonna of the drag world...so many looks and re-invents herself, while not always being understood. I don't know if it's because she is too wacky and over the top, but she always surprises me with her style and routines. So I was tickled when I came across the little snippet into some of what Detox is like.

One can genuinely  see what connections queens can get to their drag sisters.  There is way more to Detox then meets the eye. These are the snippets you don't see on drag race. I thought it was a marvelous 18-minute mini-doc portrait of a queen in which she walks us through every moment of RuPaul’s Drag Race season five, All Stars 2, and her life both before and after finding fame. We visit her sister, see her new Illinois home (which she bought while drunk!), and watch her thought process as she gets ready for a gig. All in all, pretty fascinating stuff. 

And then there's this, with a bevy of drag appearances
The last thing this queen needs to do is detox. I say lets get drunk on her.

19 comments:

  1. Oh I love this. DETOX is a gem. I feel like people cut Detox short too. Remember that SHE had the better track record on both seasons, and was second place in AS2, but I feel bad for her because almost no one was rooting for her, even though she did very well. She always leave me gagging for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Detox and agree with her...Season 5 was truly iconic. There was more talent on that season then any other. That docu was excellent. Hearing Detox talk about Roxxxy makes me so sad. I feel Roxxxy has been treated unfairly by the fandom since AS2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think season 5 was my favorite followed by season 1 and 3 and 7

      Delete
  3. You are right, it’s not always about winning. Detox is proof of that. Charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent indeed. I’ve seen her first row in Paris and New York fashion week, and even on Botched!
    I love that she’s uniquely herself. Her Fifth Element inspired runway was a gag. Her rhyme in Read you wrote you is a BOP.
    LOVE HER.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im dying to know what you do for a living mister...like what field you work in. And just what is your little icon of, I have often wondered?

      Delete
  4. That was great. I always liked Detox. Make no bones about it, she is a fierce drag queen, but above that she is a great artist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the face of a successful Drag Queen!😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg this is why I absolutely love Detox. She’s such a stunning queen and stone cold bitch with her heart on her sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As soon as I saw this post title, I was purr-aying that it would not be about the juice, but about Detox and you did not disappoint!

    She will always be one of my all-time favorites in looks and style and wit and charisma uniqueness nerve and talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you glad I didn't disappoint?

      Delete
  8. What a great video. Detox is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is and has always been one of the most iconic, exciting, entertaining and well-rounded queens from the show, an actual icon

    ReplyDelete
  10. The face and hair in that first image made me immediately think of Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Somewhere in the back of my brain I remember the snippet from Season 5 where she talks about being nervous. Butterflies are important to success in stage performance - lose them and you're not in the game. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like Detox too but I never knew before what her drag surname is . . . LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ADORE DETOX. Smart beats sexy every time, and when they come in one package? There's something so sharp about her - her look, her act, her attitude. She possesses an air of confidence that is earned. Much respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first picture always leaves me breathless.

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!