Sunday, May 1, 2016

MEANWHILE...PARTY HAPPENING PEOPLE

While doing my post for Deee-Lite's National Week, I dropped down one of those deep Internet rabbit holes this week till it led me to footage of New York nightclubs in the 1980s. I did this for hours. I found some crazy good stuff, but I took a major detour along the way watching vintage live Deee-Lite performances. I was only here for the 90's nightlife, so I can't imagine what the 80's felt like. Although the members of DeeeLite came from all over the globe—Super DJ Dmitri hailing from the Ukraine, Towa Tei born in Korea, but raised in Tokyo, and Lady Miss Kier Kirby grew up all over the place, mostly near Yougstown and Pittsburgh—I thought that Deee-Lite were the most “New York” sounding group of their day.
When they started on the scene, Deee-Lite’s futuristic, uniquely funky, jazzy “sampladelic” sound was something that no one had ever really heard before and it was obvious, from early on, seeing them at places like The Pyramid Club, Tunnel, and at the yearly Wigstock event, that they were going to be huge. Frankly I thought that they were destined for a more sustained career than they ended up having together. It’s difficult to point to the reason why that didn’t happen, because it wasn’t the music, which continued to be incredibly innovative, their videos were great and Lady Miss Kier—one of the top five foxiest girls in NYC and an instant style icon and a supremely confident front woman. She’s what they call a “belter,” like Ethyl Merman. Back then she was a tiny thing, but her voice had the power of seasoned soul diva. If your ever at the Casa for a soiree or a dinner party, rest assure their will be Deee-Lite on the turntable.......

And finally.... we can't forget their perennial favorite along with Bootsy Collins.....

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for bringing all this music to us this week. I had no idea they has so many groovy songs. I just can't stop watching her dance, I bet it was all freestyle, it looks really natural and flowy.
    Completely hypnotizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Lady Miss Kier and Deee-Lite were one of a kind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im a heavy metal and rock guy, but have always loved this song. And Party Happening People? I have never heard a song like that, very cool.... Dont tell my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so THATS what a party looks and sound like at the Casa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are quite possibly the best dance track ever recorded... and that bassline is off the hook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mistress what a week of music! I have a new found admiration for this under dog group. I especially liked todays,selections. The one track even had some swing in it!!!! I must gone put on a Berkin for the day. You don't want to see me in a body suit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This definitely made my Sunday more delovely and delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am I the only one loving her shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. And of course I also own solo stuff from Dmitri and Towa Tei.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dmitri......perfect for any Sunday evening.

      Delete
  10. A great week in the way of DeeeLite! These two tracks are great, they do give you a very happy feeling. I can tell your passionate about this group.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!