Sunday, May 3, 2009

That's Bouquet, B-U-C-K-E-T



If the Mistress does happen to be home on a Saturday night, she is watching one of her favorite actresses Patricia Routledge on BBC's Keeping Up Appearances. This woman will stop at nothing to make sure her reputation stays ahead of the pack and will not be outdone by anyone. I have the whole series on DVD and crack up every time I watch them. Have you ever seen this show? And believe it or not Patricia Routledge is one of England's most popular actresses. Patricia is a actress and a singer, and her roles in British television has been a very long and successful career in both musical theatre as well as film and television. After years of a long line of very successful British plays, her American Broadway debut in Darlings of the Day,garnered her a Tony Award for the play. Routledge also had many television appearances before hitting comedy gold with the high profile role of Hyacinth Bucket in the BBC's Keeping Up Appearances, where she portrayed a former working class woman with social pretensions. She insists her surname be pronounced "bouquet", and has visions of grandeur. The series ran from 1990-1995 and ended at Routledge's request so she could star in another venture, the long-running hit series, Heddy Wainthropp Investigates, which the Mistress also loves. It was sort of like a Murder, She Wrote but not as corny. Routledge's career started in 1952 and she is still going strong. Here's to more Hyacinth and Patricia Routledge. Now on to two of my favorite scenes from Keeping Up Appearances. I love the second clip in the series finale, where Hyacinth and her brother-in-law,Onslow who she can't stand, end up on the same cruise and she finally gives in and dances with him.



10 comments:

  1. I looooove Hyacinth!!! She's right up there with Mrs. Slocombe as of of my favorite Britcom characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this show! Hyanith is funny as hell. I love it when her in-laws show up in the broken down car and it ALWAYS back fires! Patricia really is a wonderful actress. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HarleyQuinn5/03/2009

    A fabulous actress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that show! If I were British, I would TOTALLY be Hyacinth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric- I love me some Mrs. Slocombe also. I love when she as to tend to her pussy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coco de Mere5/03/2009

    Love this show. My favorite part is when her neighbor Elizabeth comes over and gets nervous and always spills her coffee, plus breaks the china up! Herface kills me afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved that show and her! Glad you wrote about her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matthuis5/04/2009

    My side always hurt when I watch this show!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, I thought I was the only one that ever watched this show. I loved the first actress that played Rose. This show has brought me so much Joy!! Not to long ago they did a PBS push, and had Elizebeth on PBS talking about all the shows, and characters. Thank you for acknowledging the Lucy Ball of Britian.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!