Monday, April 27, 2009

The Arrival of Buster Borghese



Well dear readers, big news, big news! On Saturday the Mistress and the Boy-Toy became the proud parents of a new dog Buster Borghese! And doesn't he look like a hand full from the picture above? Just like the Mistress. I think we are going to get along fine. This has been in the works for some time. Since the passing of our dearly beloved Starrbooty the cat, we waited a while to get another pet. We had been on contact with a few shelters and have told the good people what we were looking for a dog and it had to be a good breed for a apartment since that's the abode we live in. Last week the lady from the one shelter called and said she thought she had the perfect dog for us (a dachshund-beagle mix). The picture she sent was just adorable. She told us we could go to the foster home where he was being cared for to see him and spend some time with him. So on Saturday we were off to southern New Jersey, to a beach community in Ocean County. When we got there it was love at first sight! All kinds of kisses and licks and all the other good stuff. It was pretty obvious he was coming home with us. So far the whole weekend he has been just good as gold. We stopped at a friend's home to show them Buster, then PetSmart to get some provisions, and then a nice walk before heading home. Last night he was just plain tuckered out.



He slept in the living room but in the middle of the night he came to the boudoir and went in his crate. Today we had a lovely walk up at the lake. It was so beautiful all weekend.





Buster is just the sweetest dog. He is very lovable. He rides very nice in the car and is housebroken. He even knows some commands, that his foster mom worked with him on. And when our dinner was delivered last night he didn't even bark. Too good to be true! Well, until tonight. :) We wanted to see what he would do when we leave for work tomorrow. We put him in the bedroom in the crate and he just barked and howled and carried on something terrible! He is extremely social and I think it is separation anxiety. How we will break this I don't know (probably splitting up the time he spends alone). Buster is a year old and for the last couple weeks at the foster home, the lady was home all day. Now the Boy-Toy comes home for lunch and can sometimes take Buster to work...but he's going to have to be alone for a few hours at some point! Do any of you dog owners have any lovely advice to muster to the Mistress? I would be forever indebted. Ahhhh look at that face!

16 comments:

  1. Oh my Gah!
    He's adorable!
    And he sounds like the perfect dog for you...no barking...well-mannered...outsdoorsy.
    He is a cutie.
    Congrats!
    Plus: "Buster Borghese" is the best name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buster is adorable! Sorry I can't help with separation anxiety...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect name of him. Very lucky puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh honey, you are in for it! beagles are well known for separation anxiety! My Rae has one and that dumb dog barked all. day. long when they left for work. The lady who lives downstairs complained to the landlord.

    They've had Bowie almost a year now, and he's much better, but it's taken a long time. Sorry!!!

    But the good thing is Buster is ADORABLE!!!

    Is he coming to NYC with you in May? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I can't wait to meet Buster in person!!

    XOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mistress, he is just tooooooo cute! I can see by his face he is going to get away with alot! Congrats! I am not to good with animals so I have no advice to give. But I did get a new cocktail recipe for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cali-Boi4/27/2009

    Good luck with the cute dog Mistress. With him he's sure to be a dog magnet! He is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a Great looking dog Miss B. Just as sweet as pie. What a cutie!!
    About the barking. I've got two things that might work. My first baby "Briscoe" he did the exact same thing, So I took him to see a therapist, and she worked with him, and worked with him. She said maybe if I adopted an older female he would change and begin to feel not so alone. Well after adopting another dog, and bringing her home and introducing her to him, I felt that we had finally turned a corner. Well, I'm sad to inform you that this was not the case. Soon both dogs began howling cont. all day, and all night.
    What did I do? Well honey I went down to petsmart and bought two bark collars. Their are several different types of collars so save your recpt. some dont work as well as others, and dont be fooled they are not as inhumane as others, eventually Buster will figure out not to bark, plus you will only have to leave it on periodically, since he doesnt bark when your home. It only took about two weeks for my babies both stopped barking, and I was able to take the collar off perm. Hope this helps. Hello Buster!!! Let's Ride Ho.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mistress Maddie #1 Fan4/27/2009

    You didn't tell me you got a cute doggie. You will be both attracting the boys now. Three cute boys! Enjoy him

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coco de Mere4/27/2009

    Buster will be the prince of the house I'm betting! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth- I think Buster would probably chase the hell out of Ocsar Dennis, David's cat. No, we have a sitter. Besides the Boy-Toy is enough work to handle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sam-Thanks for the wonderful advice. I will have to look into it. From what I understand he did bark but not as bad as we though it would be. I'll have to see how he continues. Thanks again Tugs. Now I'm ready to ride ho!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aaawww... I heart Buster!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buster is adorably cute! Beagles are the cutest dogs ever and mixed with a dachshund is cute and short, which I think is quite a combination! :-)

    I don't know anything about training dogs but hope you find help for his separation anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  15. he looks precious!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!