Wednesday, October 23, 2024

WARMING CIDER


 The nights are getting cooler, and the autumn air is crisp. Autumn is in full swing and there is no better time to sip mulled apple cider next to a fireplace, or bonfire. I made my first batch of mulled cider this weekend when I had some of the clan and the Capital Street duo over. It is sooo good. It's richly spiced like all apple cider recipes, with all the different spices and fruit. It truly tastes like fall in a cup. I have made it in the pass with rum, brandy or a bourbon whiskey, and mostly use the bourbon whiskey to make it. It can also be made on the stove top, or in a slow cooker. The recipe is simple.


*One gallon of farm stand apple cider
*A quarter of jar of Mulling Spices. I use Williams -Sonoma Mulling spices as they have all the spices in one jar ready to go. Allspice, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, orange and cranberry bits. Otherwise, I use about two tablespoons of these spices from the spice rack.
* Four to five whole Star Anise
*Two to three Cinnamon sticks.
*4 cups of Bourbon, brandy, or rum
* 1 cup ginger liqueur. I use the incredible, Domaine de Canton

*In a large pot bring to a boil the apple cider.


*Once boiling, I add in the quarter jar of the mulling spices, and the star anise and cinnamon sticks.
*I boil them for about 8-9 minutes.
* Let simmer on low for about an hour or two. The longer you let simmer, the more the spices will flavor the cider.
*Once simmered, pour the cider through a strainer into another pot to remove the mulling spices, or the mulling spices can also be wrapped up in cheesecloth, floated in the cider and then removed.
* I then simmer longer and add in the bourbon and ginger liqueur, on low.
* Pour into glasses, and I generally garnish with a cinnamon stick and 1-2 star anise in each cup.
* Sit and enjoy! 

The remaining, like that ever happens arounds here, can be stored in an airtight jar. Simply reheat in the microwave. I severed it the other night, with spiced nuts, a section of smoked cheeses, and a selection of smoked meats and prosciutto.

I love apple cider in the fall and winter in general, but when mulled, it is ever better!!!! But I still need a man to keep me warm at night!

12 comments:

  1. I'll bet the whole house smells great too? This sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already looking forward to making this recipe this fall. The ginger liquor really sets this recipe apart from others I've tried. I adore Domaine de Canton too! So good on the rocks and is perfect with so many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes!!!! I love it on the rocks on a winter night...and I tastes great on vanilla ice cream.

      Delete
  3. I love Mulled cider!!! The best thing about mulled cider is the aroma that it gives off! I imagine your hands-off cider recipe is a hit. The flowers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't mention how mind altering it is, lmao!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last year I made mulled red wine in my slow cooker, and it was so good and would love to do a cider version this year. I have seen Domaine de Canton at the liqueur store and wondered if it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Use the best bourbon you can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect for a chilly evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you don't think I'm taking this recipe for our Fall and Winter Warmers you're crazy. Sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. uh-oh... Before the actual recipe, I read: "I make it with cum, brandy...." 🤣
    Well, okay, either way, it sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I need to try that. How many servings will you get out of that, assuming everyone only drinks one pint glass sized serving?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!