Wednesday, September 30, 2020

MANCHESTER UNITED

Drag queens have a long history in gay culture. For many performers, drag is more than just dressing up. It’s an art form where the boundaries of gender identity are shattered.  Drag of course has been a hotbed lately thanks to various drag shows going mainstream. One place for me I'd loved to go would be to see and enjoy the Manchester drag scene...one of the hottest bed right now, with some of the most colorful queens and originality I've seen in years. For many who enjoy a boozy night in Manchester’s gay village, a good night can be vastly improved if you’re insulted by a drag queen. But Manchester wasn't always like that. Thanks to the likes of the legendary Foo Foo Lamarr, it started to be a place of creative drag,  for the Manchester’s drag performers who still felt underground, confined to Canal Street and early hours of the morning. Today the very best of Manchester’s drag queens frequent more public platforms – whether walking catwalks for Manchester International Festival to being shortlisted by Ru Paul, as UK ambassadors, like Divina De Campo for the internationally revered show Ru Paul’s Drag Race, or creating a totally wacky drag persona like Juno Birch. While New York pioneered drag culture, Manchester is now becoming the undisputed UK’s epicentre for all the spectacular costumes, gender-warping makeup transformations, outlandish cabaret, lewd lip-sync performance and of course, fabulous shade, lots of shade, and breaking barriers to traditional drag...and I'm here for it. If anyone gets a chance to get to Manchester, these are the queens I recommend you should be looking  to seek out for a show.


A few things you should know about the illustrious Cheddar Gorgeous: Cheddar has a masters degree in anthropology, is a writer, idealist, superhero, alien and occasional unicorn. At the helm of salacious underground club night Cha Cha Boudoir, Cheddar Gorgeous is thoroughly committed to the drag arts – after all, this is a queen who wore platform heels, a corset and a cape to ski in the French Alps. A key member of drag collective Family Gorgeous, Cheddar is a polished and accomplished performance artist helping to redefine traditional ideas of drag.


Anna Phylactic, like the shock, only less tragic   Anna is a worldly drag performer whose piercing eyes and toothy grin have been immortalized in an incredible mural on The Molly House pub alongside other Manchester icons in the LBTQ community (including the late and infamous drag queen Foo Foo Lammar). Another sister from ‘Family Gorgeous’, Anna Phylactic's ‘shock in a frock’ style draws from a multitude of inspirations, from 80s club kids, Leigh Bowery, Elizabethan costume and Alice in Wonderland.


Liquorice Black: lithe as Nightmare Before Christmas’ Jake Skellington, while as pale and sensual as Morticia Addams. The ‘black and white sheep’ of drag Family Gorgeous and good drag sister to Juno Birch, Liquorice Black is permanently set to monochrome, which I adore!!!!!. A seven foot tall gazelle, Liquorice Black wears the hell out of a gown and a fascinator.

Make America Gay Again!’ - a Donna Trump manifesto. While the actual American president continues to cause friction in the West, Manchester’s Donna Trumpuk mixes political undertones with glamorous overtones and specializes in marvelous camp cabaret, hilarious skits and often dresses up like another Donald, the Duck.


Lill! While only a lil' in the drag scene, Lill is a known rebel in Manchester. She loves Courtney Love , Divine and Queen Elizabeth the 1st, so she just loves any bad girls really and with bad taste. Whether cinched in at the waist and stuffed in the bra as Barberella or dressed as a sexy bottle of Fairy Liquid, Lill excels as a chameleon makeup artist.

Te-Te Bang
I'm am sooooo here for this bitch!!! TeTe Bang is a UK female drag queen who never fitted into the box of what a lesbian was 'supposed to be'. The people she had the most common interests with were gay men. So, she didn't fit into the box of what a lesbian was supposed to be, but she wasn't the right gender to be in the club. She felt very lost for a long time, until finally she felt comfortable with herself when she was given a home in the London queer community. She decided to become her own role model and give a voice to those people who are floating around the in-between, to the courageous and inspiring queer women we too quickly chose to forget. Her drag acts are very entertaining.

Oozing with vintage glamour, Miss Blair is a blonde bombshell who knows how to put on a stellar cabaret show, she's been here to New Hope once...and what a show!!! With unrivalled lip-sync ability and an enviable closet full of coiffed wigs, Miss Blair fulfils any 1940's housewife fantasy.


Sometimes a feminine ‘fishy’ queen while other times a raving ‘tranimal’, professional gender bender Violent Blonde is a firm fixture on the Manchester drag scene. Part of the Family Gorgeous, Violent Blonde can be found lip syncing at Cha Cha Boudoir club nights. Creator of the Instagram hashtag #ManchesterQueens, Violet is an all-time favorite in Manchester.

So who is ready to go to Manchester with me and see some amazing queens when this virus is over???

26 comments:

  1. I've spent several minutes scrolling up and down to decide who I like best, and I can't. These are some fierce queens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG yes!
    I've read about the Drag scene in the UK and everybody agrees it's fab. Drag Race UK was a breath of fresh air. I loved the spunk and the accents! Now, about these queens: like Bob, I had to go over this post twice but I think I'm totally for Cheddar Gorgeous in that mask and pasties and for EVERYTHING Liqourice Black is selling.
    I live!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't pick...their all to fabulous for words! But I have long adored Anna Phylactic and her style...and that name alone is one of the best I ve heard.

      Delete
  3. I haven't been to Manchester in years! Obviously the Northern drag queens don't travel, as I have never heard of any of them appearing on the London drag scene... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would make sense. From what I gather, the queens in Manchester stay put most of the time in their united drag scene most of the time, as many are not into the more glamourized version of London's scene. Course, one of my favorite London queens is still Miss Hope Springs.

      Delete
    2. Miss Hope Springs is a legend, but not necessarily what I'd call on "the drag circuit" - she's a bona fide cabaret artiste in her own right. The stars of the London pub drag show scene are such icons as Myra DuBois, Crystal D'Canter and Kelly Mild (CK), Mrs Moore, Rose Garden, Lola Lasagne, Martha D’Arthur, Sandra, Miss Jason, Tanya Hyde and so on - as well as the "alternative" drag acts such as David Hoyle, Virgin X and Michael Twaits. The list is endless, but not necessarily all "glamorous". Jx

      PS We don't really count Baga Chips, as she is from Birmingham.

      Delete
    3. Yes your right, Hope is not really on a drag circuit. She and another favorite here Charles Bush are really true cabaret acts. Both times Hope came to New Hope here she had show stopping acts, and we even mingled with her after the show. And Lola Lasagne!!!!! I think I have seen her.

      Delete
  4. Can you promise me Licorice and Donna?? Then I'm all in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently watched the British series "Drag SOS" which featured Cheddar Gorgeous, Anna Phylactic and Liquorice Black traveling around England in a fab drag bus making over ordinary people into drag queens. Lots of fun and often very touching -- the healing and transformative power of drag and being yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to see that show Debs, but I heard it was excellent. Those queens and their style is just so creative and dare I say cartoonish. I have found Drag SOS and will be watching it.

      Delete
  6. This is just way too much fabulousness for my feeble mind to handle! I do like Anna Phylactic's name though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to see you back Duchess Deedles!!!!!! Juno is my girl, but I do adore Anna Phylactic and Liqorice Black. Anna has done some jaw dropping looks over the years.

      Delete
  7. I met many of these girls when we went to London and all of them a blast, but I have to say I really adored TeTe Bang! She was a blast! And it's great the gay guys eat up her act.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's like action figures. I want them all! They are all so darn creative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I loved this post!!!!! I love these queens too, lots and lots of color here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do hope you'll come and stay at mine. I'm only 27 miles from Manchester!
    I could do with a good night out. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG could you even imagine Christina?!?!?!?!?!!?

      Delete
  11. Oh Im in honey!!!! I would love to go to Mancheseter and see the girls!!! I love the looks of all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post! But as a big old dyke, you know Im LOVING and here for TE TE Bangs!!!! OMG that's great a lesbian is doing drag and she looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!! I want that wig and outfit in the first picture of her. I think I need a trip to Manchester.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, one word: adore. Sign me up! Are we going by ship? I would love to stand at the rail, martini in hand waving good-bye to all the boys on the docks. Then whisk me away to a quaint boutique hotel, where I will have an open door policy and free wi-fi courtesy of said hotel. We will dine on bits of strange and cocktail olives while discussing our most recent assignation, before being chauffeured to the club of the night where we will watch wide-eyed and in awe at as the Manchester dames delight us with their acts of merry. Dancing the night away, we will return post haste to our hotel and begin the whole delightful debacle all over until such a time that a handsome cab comes and collects us, depositing us at the boarding steps of an awaiting luxury liner... Aye, aye, Captain. Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've not been to Manchester before, have you? Jx

      Delete
    2. I see you know my travel routine. Nice I won't have to break you in.

      Delete
  14. I am continually amazed at the artistry of these costumes and make overs. The only drag shows I've encountered are 'amateur' nights and these do not even close measure up to these amazing folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't discount those amateur queens out. They make the local town feel like home and are sometime the best entertainers.

      Delete
  15. I agree with Bob. Couldn't possibly decide which queen I like more.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!