Saturday, June 13, 2020

SIXTY-SIX


Aunt Barb and Uncle Jack 1954

So many good things keep happening during this time and life must go on. Friday was the wedding anniversary of my dear aunt and uncle, Barbara and Jack, who hit the 66th year mark. they married in June of 1954.  How amazing is that?!?!?! I personally don't know anyone married that long, and these days it seems hard to even make it to twenty. My aunt Barbara is the one who is the most excellent cook and baker, who learned everything she knows from Julia Child, and she has one hell of a rose garden. Incidentally, it's also where I got my love of gin and classical music too. My uncle, after the service, was a Physics Professor for years at Rutgers University, before he retired and they moved back to the Harrisburg area. The 66 years just blows my mind with the same person. The funny part as was regaled to me by my aunt, they met on a blind date at a dance. They hit it off, but she forgot to get his number. A few weeks later, her friend did get his number and they started dating.  After 4 months, when my uncle's service job at the time took him to Alaska,  she followed, and got into another nursing school. They continued dating,  but did it secretly, it was frowned upon heavily that nursing students should be dating. 

It got better, because then they secretly got married there!!!! Eventually they headed back east after the first child was born, and that's where my uncle started teaching at Rutgers, and they settled in Westfield NJ. After two years of being secretly married they told the family, and needless to say my grandparents were upset, as they wanted her to have a big church wedding. Didn't happen. My mother was the one who got the big church wedding,  and she was the one who didn't want one. My aunt and uncle went on the have 6 kids, 8 grandkids and one great grandchild. She never did go back to nursing...hence all the cooking and baking. Once the kids were all grown and out, heading toward their senior years, sold the huge Victorian they had,  and moved back to Harrisburg in 1998, where my uncle went into teaching part- time at the Harrisburg Academy in chemistry and physics, and only just resigned six years ago. Their children are all over the country.  My aunt and uncle are also the ones who taught and told me to respect the earth and all it's inhabitants. For their age , there both sharp as whips, hip on current things and even smoke weed on occasion.  I just feel bad we couldn't have had a nice dinner celebration for them on the day, but we do have plans to have a dinner for them soon.
Aunt Barb and Uncle Jack  in summer of 2012

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
But 66 years!!!!!


32 comments:

  1. Yah! for Aunt Barb and Uncle Jack.
    take care, be safe xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So THEY'RE the ones who corrupted you with gin, LOL! Happy anniversary to them -- they sound like a great couple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite an accomplishment. A very happy anniversary to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Happy Joy Joy!

    That's love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an accomplishment!!!! I thought William and I were up there at 42 years. Loved this post. It always nice to read about the bloggers life and background. Feels warm like friends. That's why I like post like this over just news or reporting or movies clips.

    Happy Anniversary to there love birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great story of your family..... and the heritage and memories it brings when you recount them to us..makes it all the more special for the reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tommy...I do tend to be proud of them. And all else, my aunt turns 88 on Tuesday.

      Delete
  7. what a great story! my sperm/egg donors made it 66 years before dying. it will be 28 years for RTG and I in october. don't know how some of us can make it that long without killing each other. your aunt and uncle look like a fun couple!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My eyes are still very blurry, so All I can make out is that somebody's been ball and chained for 66 years! Whoo Hoo! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How long did you lay there till the ball found you dear? I 'll send houseboys........

      Delete
    2. Sweetie, I was half suspended face downward and twisted like a pretzel with one arm stuck beneath me and one hung up in my walker somehow. Two hours! Houseboys would've been so welcome! Hunky firemen too, though I was dressed only in a diaper (it's been hot). A neighbor who could hear pain filled screams would've come in handy. Hell if only my dogs could dial 9-1-1 but Lassie they ain't. I may need just a touch of therapy so I can stop having meltdowns in the shower. On top of everything else, we're coming up on 45th anniversary (I know, pikers!) and have no clue how to celebrate this year since we canceled the cruise. First world problems.

      Delete
  9. WOW ! What an amazing celebration. May they continue to bring happiness in each other's lives. Truly uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful.Everybody on my mother's side and dad's married until death did they part. And most of them have departed. My oldest brother is on his 3rd marriage. Two of my sisters are still with their original mates, and one of my younger sisters lost her husband to cancer last year. I don't know what the secret is... but I think it has to do with putting up with a lot of things you'd rather not. Wishing your aunt and uncle the best! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The men on my dad's side complete opposite. My half brother, both nephews all on third marriages while my dad was married twice.

      Delete
  11. If she learned how to cook from Julia, then she probably learned how to drink wine like Julia. Congrats to the happy twosome!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 66 years?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to your aunt and uncle! 66 years is amazing! My anniversary is the same date as theirs, although we won't live long enough to be married that long. I was 31 and my husband was 47 when we got married. Still, June 12 is a good date!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats to them both! I thought my parents being married for 50 years was a long time. That is nothing. Hopefully we will see many more anniversaries in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great Love Story theirs is and your Aunt's many children were her full time job I'm sure! *Winks* Sixty-Six Years is Amazing, Congratulations to them, they sound like delightful people who've aged well and remained vibrant and truly in Love! The Man and I are just past 30 Years, we've both been Married before, but 30 was a Big Deal to us! He likes to joke that he'd of served less time for Murder! *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear...anything over 10 years is amazing these days. My personal record is 12 years. I'm still in shock I was able to do that.

      Delete
  16. Well, please pass on my congratulations to your aunt and uncle. What interesting,fulfilled lives they've had.

    I'm sure it will be a grand celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are coming up on 28 years. To make it to 66 years we would have to live into our 90's - unlikely. My parents were married 69 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know. There both late 80's now.

      Delete
  18. ...wonderful story....congratulations to them!
    ...about the gin....reminds me how I was introduced to Jarlsberg cheese (and white wine and pears) by a favorite uncle (who also shared about that many years with my aunt)...one of my favorite cheeses - great for sandwiches - and almost always think about him when so indulging...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im a huge cheese fan...that sounds delicious.

      Delete
  19. They sound like a wonderful couple and exceptional role models. Happy anniversary to Aunt Barbara and Uncle Jack (who got married right before I was born) from sunny Andalucía!

    ReplyDelete
  20. that is wonderful. It seems almost impossible to consider such a long time with another. good for them!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!