Sunday, June 14, 2020

NEW HOPE ROCKS


Hope everyone is enjoying this spectacular weekend. 

The weather here sure couldn't be any better. Sure makes the pandemic more enjoyable, even though I am craving a good Cuban cigar. My mouth and lips are going through a oral fixation withdrawal I tell ya. I should really write a pamphlet on how a gay man can find 101 ways to get through this without  having wet dreams or coming on to the mannequins!!!! Maybe something to work on huh? WELL, I tell ya I just love this town. When I was out last week for a walk I had noticed these colored rock everywhere.  It then occurred to me that one of the residents here, Kristen Spencer, a artist, started this project for her kids to keep them occupied during the pandemic. She then got the idea to place them literally all over town, everywhere. Each rock is numbered, and I'm sure most places that received one will keep it as a memento of this pandemic time, if they already haven't gone missing by passerbys from the weekend crowd. I can't lie, I was great fun to search them out, or just come across them.

At the coffeehouse where our huge Pride Flag is on display.

This navy rock #4 made my friends day. He just opened his first restaurant the week before the pandemic hit only to be closed ever since, till this weekend. I have been ordering take out once a week from him. I sure hope he makes it.

At the New Hope Train Station
 I believe there are upwards of 59 rocks hidden about. One of my favorite shops, Love Saves the Day hasn't been open either, but all through the pandemic they had a juggler out front to rise the spirits of passerbys. Like I said, I love the quirky town.

30 comments:

  1. We had a new cafe open in Camden the month before COVID. Business was so good for them, they bought the building next door and busted through a brick wall to expand. Then the lockdown came. We took our friends David and Neal down there for brunch yesterday and are so happy they are back, and slowly coming back around.
    It gives one hope.
    Now, if we could get some of those Smiley Mask rocks down here .... perhaps I'll paint some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can be the first!!!!! The artist here called it the Rockdemic!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6/28/2020

      I'm worried, though. This is the calm before the storm.

      Ideally, you'd social distance and dine al fresco. I understand that's not always an option for restaurants, though.

      Delete
  2. Great images...really enjoy the tours you giv!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cheery rocks are a brilliant and fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea. Keeps the kids busy, a fun thing to do and try to locate them, and remind people of wearing masks! Brilliant. Great pictures Mistress. That's why I like New Hope....a strong sense of community in a charming river town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This itself could have been a happy post! So fun and that juggler is quite exciting. I sure don't see that around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is freaking ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely cheery photos! I love color and these were joyful to behold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have made me love the town, too. And those rocks. That is so uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun project and, as always, great tour of
    New Hope.
    take care, xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the painted rocks, making them match the places they are placed is brilliant. Maybe I should paint rocks. We need to come spend a few days in you neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I did the post. They reminded me in a sort of way of your paintings.

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing. I plan on painting some rocks, too.. Gin is a color, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. We need more towns like New Hope. I was there once coming back home to DC, and stop overnight... and still remember loving the feeling it had. That the huge gay flag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seeing these photos really cheered me up. I wasn't in a sad mood or anything. It's the thought that an artist decided to do something to make everyone smile during these troubled times that made me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a simple...yet great way to tell a bunch of dumb assets to still wear mask. It's nice to see infection hasn't spread higher in Pa. Yet. Love the pictures. I sure hope your friends place make it. What a shame to open your first business just to have it close a week later. Thank goodness for the take out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a fantastic project!
    Artists always find a way to make us aware of both beauty and life. Loved the collection of pics, Maddie!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is amazing. The time it too to scout out the locations and get the pallet right. Such a heartwarming project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what amazed me too...the pallet matched perfectly in some places.

      Delete
  17. Those rocks are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was like the School House Rocks! Get it?

      Delete
  18. This is so cool! O love how they coordinate to there future locations. Love the big gay flag too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cool indeed. Funny how something so simple can bring joy and awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was trying to peek in the Window of Creeper Gallery! Those Rocks are such Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still creepy...dont worry about that.

      Delete
  21. I love the idea of this. I sometime wish I lived out in New Hope or the surrounding area. It so darn pretty. Maybe one day...not quite yet. But those rocks are pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!