Saturday, January 9, 2010

Drag Fun,Birth of a Mistress



The Mistress, probably drunk from one of the Christmas house parties above. This is a tyical look for the Mistress Borghese. And how did I get that name, I'm asked from time to time.? How does one get a drag name? There are many different ways. The Mistress went through many. When I first met my good friend and sister Mame, AKA,Daivd and our friend Vera, they called me Glory as Glory Upstin from Auntie Mame. After David moved to New York, the name dropped off. Then while watching the epic and loooooong North and South mini series, I loved me some Lesley-Anne Down's character Madeline LaMotte Main, and I loved the name Madeline. I added the the last name Wesley being the street I live on. Of course everyone called me Maddie over time, so much so, that people though my real name was Matthew. I got so used to the name that when someone called me by my real name I didn't even hear it. Then it evently became Mistress Maddie because a friend of mine said all I do is tease the men and entertain them so, and then I dated a guy who was married un-beknownest to me."Your a mistress "he said. Borghese came into play because of the make-up I used at the time when getting ready. So their is the birth of the Mistress Borhgese. Mistress Maddie to close friends. It was along conception. There tend to be three types of drag names: The first are satirical names that play on words, such as Miss Understood, Holly Woodlawn,Peaches Christ, and Lypsinka.

The second type are names that trend toward glamour and extravagance, such as Dame Edna Everage, Chi Chi LaRue, and The Lady Chablis. This is the type used by the character Albin in the movie and musical La Cage Aux Folles for his drag persona, "Miss ZaZa Napoli". The Mistress tends to fall in this catagory.

The third type is considered simpler but can have an in-depth backstory, cultural or geographical significance or simply be a feminine form of their "boy" name. Often a drag queen will pick a name or be given one by a friend or "drag mother" as a one-time occasion only to discover they like performing and go on to use a less-than ideal name for years. Drag queens do change names as well even using two or more concurrently for various reasons. Some examples of simpler names include Verka Serduchka, Miss Coco Peru, Shequida, and Divine. It was an original tradition for one's drag name to be the name of the family pet growing up followed by the street they grew up on. If this were the case my name would be Poochie Kensingston. Some drag queens may still use this as a baseline name and make a modification to it in order to make a more extravagant, deviant, or sexual. Or I guess you could just use The Drag Queen Generator. What your's? My name from this would be Anita Intervention. No comments.

11 comments:

  1. Fun info! I'll have to take note of this for fture Jasper Lane books. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mistress how elegant you are! You best come this year to the Night if A Thousand Gowns honey! I have went by Lady Fingers for so long now. I don't even know how I got the name anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drag Queen Generator Name: Monica Dupree

    Pet/Street Name: Frisky Vanleer

    I like them both. Eric, if you use either of those, I'll feel honored. LOL about yours, Froggy!

    Maddie, I'm so glad you wrote about this. I've often wondered and now I know! That's an interesting evolution of names. Love the gorgeous photo of you! Post more, please. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Joy...I found this really interesting, and I had wondered how you came by your name. By the way, that dress is drop-dead gorgeous!

    I would be Phoebe Courtisan. :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You are one elegant bitch in drag! I wondered about the name too. I like the name though, sounds mysterious. Why are you not out here? My name would be Constance Cravings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name turned out to be Married Tension! And girrrrrrl let me tell you how beautiful you look! That is some up-do. And that dress? I'd be lucky to get one leg in it! Sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be: Pheobe Tension.

    Thanks for the MM history lesson. We have a friend whose last name is Matthews, and he goes by Mattie Belle.
    We have another friend named Matt and he goes by Mattuschka DuPont.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am proud to say that I was there from the very beginning and many times helped the Mistress shop and get dressed. Those were the days. Remember our trip to the Red Ball and all pics we took on the steps of the Synagogue? We'll probably rot in hell for that one. Love your stories;I need to get back to my blogging someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mistress Maddie #1 Fan1/12/2010

    God! You need to come up to New York for a night on the town. We could use you to liven some parties up! Oh, and my name would be Sandy Matters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always wondered how you arrived at that name. You look great! That is a transformation, I'll say that! And with the guys there I see why the Mistress now.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!