Friday, May 24, 2024

THE MAESTRO


I think it is safe to say, that the Queen of Queens, the ultimate winner over all queens, Jinkx Monsoon just might be the biggest success yet to come off Drag Race. Her talent and range seem to know no bounds, and I'm here for that. She was belittled and not a favorite in the workroom, I dare say even picked on a bit by the other queens, but who's laughing now? Jinkx Monsoon who is a two-time winner of Drag Race has landed her biggest role yet, as recurring guest star in the new season of Doctor Who. Jinkx plays the evil, twisted Maestro, a malevolent force that attempts to abscond with all the world's music if the new Doctor Who and his sidekick, Ruby Sunday can't stop Maestro's nefarious efforts.

I have never been a huge viewer of the show, mostly only seeing that of the original series, but I did stream some of the new season, and I'm here to tell you Jinkx NAILED this part...she played it will such twisted, crazed, and disturbing talent. I had goosebumps watching her. What a delicious character this Maestro is and played beautiful by Jinkx, of course.


Russel T Davies from the past Doctor Who, created the Maestro role and wrote the episodes specifically for Monsoon after seeing her stage show, Together Again, Again. I even read the producers invited Monsoon into the conversation about Maestro's look early in the process, which Jinkx considered a show of respect for her as a drag entertainer and transfeminine actor. She had input from the wardrobe to the wigs and right down to the make-up, having plenty of experience in that area. I think it's great to see a queen like Jinkx take drag in a whole new direction. This may be one of the biggest parts yet for a drag queen in such a huge and reputable franchise as Doctor Who. I tell you; she was phenomenal. I can relate to the part of Maestro too, I'm a bit crazy. Critics are already hailing her performance as "blistering and "an absolute scene-stealer." I would agree.


And there is no slowing down. Jinkx is about done wrapping up her turn as Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors on Off Broadway, and has just learned she will be reprising her role as Mama Morton in Chicago, back on Broadway, as well as make her grand debut in February of 2025, with a one night only show at Carnegie Hall.

Look out! The drag queens are taking the Hall kids!!!!

Now, a small sample of Jinkx's amazing, if not crazed performance.

34 comments:

  1. She’s absolutely killing it everywhere. What a super star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good match for her talents. She is high camp and so is Dr. Who. I saw her first episodes, she was brilliant henny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHHAT!!!! DOCTOR WHO? I hadn't heard this yet, that is huge.If anyone is wondering, she absolutely murders it as Aubrey in little shop of horrors. We saw it Like her physical comedy ability is off the charts.

    Her vocal ability has also significantly improved since Chicago and I thought she sounded amazing and wasn’t straining past her range. I agree Mistress, she is going to go down as the most successful off that show. She is doing huge mainstream things too. Those clips play right into her crazied side. Perfect casting who ask me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was blown away when I heard she had the part as Mama Morton. When I first heard her sing after her first time on drag race....I was like where did that come from???? She kept that hidden on her first season.

      Delete
  4. As a huge Doctor Who and Jinkx fan, this is a win for me. She is absolutely as bonkers as Joker in this. I’m excited to see the whole episode. Jinkx seems to be living her best life and I couldn’t be happier for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes - fab episode!! Though I do wonder how Jon Pertwee would have coped with her!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know...but Jinkx is a very warm funny and lovable person.

      Delete
  6. The only drag queen tour show I ever purchased tickets for was the night Willam was to emcee/perform and I so wanted to see them. Jinkx ended up filling in - apparently Willam was 'ill', again. Jinkx brought it home and made it a marvelous night... I was so impressed. They have remained in my top 10 faves since. As has Willam - the skank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William i like...but is famous for her last minute "illness" . a lot of Willam goes a long way too I might add. But she can be downright funny and vulgar.

      Delete
  7. Well, now I MUST watch the new season of Dr Who! YOWZA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She’s everywhere lately. It makes me so happy. I’ve been thinking of starting to watch Dr. Who considering she and Ncuti Gatwa (whom I adore) are both in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are the best photos I've seen of her, yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My little boy loved that episode and thought Jinx was hilarious. He asked what gender they were meant to be, I just said they were an alien so they might not have gender on their planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you have a very hip kid!!!! That's great! Thanks for stopping in Isobel!!!

      Delete
  11. Now I'm going to have to look for Doctor Who on YouTube TV's broadcast schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No crumbs.
    Nothing. She left NOTHING. Ate and came back for more.
    I have not watched The Doctor in ages (probably David Tennant was the last one?) , and went back just for this season. I have not been disappointed with any of the episodes so far. Jinxx is fabulous. Kudos!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jinkx has always been one of my favorite queens and she's learned, ad Ru always told the queens, take who you are and apply it to every party you get and you'll be a success.
    And it doesn't hurt that Jinkx is immensely talented.
    It's always Monsoon Season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right.....Monsoon season is going to be staying around for some time. I still remember lasy year on the finale of drag race...she shut DOWN that show with her performance. Drag Race what?

      Delete
  14. Many, many years ago I watched the very first Doctor Who, broadcast in black and white, seeing William Hartnell walking out of the Police telephone box into an earie mist. I watched it at my Grandma's as we didn't have a television at home. I can recall my brother (who died in 2011) watching the Daleks, peeping over the top of the settee and then back down again as things got frightening. Of course the best way to avoid the Daleks was to run upstairs, a design faults the Daleks took a long time to rectify.

    I wish Jinkx Monsoon all the best with the latest iteration of the Doctor - does he still have his sonic screwdriver?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Omg!!! Jinkx is even very popular here. She is going to be huge. How cool to see her on the bigger screen now. She does twisted very good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the new season so far...and Jinkx might be my favorite new villain in a franchise. I truly think Jinkx will be the first Ru girl even over RuPaul herself to be part of the EGOT club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you imagine her being the first EGOT drag winner....and that could happen!!!! She has all the talents lile stars had back in the day...acting, dancing, singing, comedy........

      Delete
  17. Anonymous5/24/2024

    Tundra Bunny here...

    Wowza, Jinkx Monsoon oozes talent! Her performance in the first clip is reminiscent of Bette Midler in Hocus Pocus (but without the corny buck teeth, mercifully!), but I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of Jinks Monsoon on the big screen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. She does make a scary villain.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd never seen Jinkx Monsoon perform before, but wow!!! I hope to see more of 'Maestro' at some point in the future episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG! She was absolutely FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC on Dr. Who! I'm so behind on my Ru Paul watching, I'll be binge watching for the next few weeks. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am still slogging through Dr Who and haven't gotten to her yet I see her everywhere on the Who sites.

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the dress and her wig!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!