Monday, June 5, 2023

PRIDE MOOD

 

It was a whirlwind weekend! The first of four Gay Pride Events has come and gone. Four? Yes four. With the current climate in the LGBT in my opinion is not the time to sit on the sidelines or be invisible. If we are able to attend an event, or live to one easily accessible, I hope, we all are able to support our community and show the far right and other urchins we aren't going anywhere and aren't giving up!!! As always, Philadelphia didn't disappoint. I met up with clan member Preston from NYC at the beach on Friday, before heading into Philly Saturday evening and Sunday frivolities. The Mistress had a drag event to tend to, otherwise it was to the streets. I was very proud to see the corporate sponsor bullshit took a huge backseat compared to years pass...and had more of an grassroots feel again, like it had years prior to when I first started going to Pride events.  Philly has always played a major role in the founding advancements and celebration of the Civil Rights movement. Giovanni's Room which was one of the first exclusively gay bookshops for us to go to, find literature and books for us... and feel safe, was one of the first in the nation, and still exits as the oldest one, and almost final one, to exist. In addition, the city was one of the first cities in the country to pass laws protecting LGBT people from discrimination in housing, employment and public accommodation, and has one of the strongest commitments from both parties in a city on promoting LGBT equality and inclusion. I was overjoyed to see they now have all the intersections in the gayborhood painted in the PRIDE colors now, that was awesome! Not to mention an enormous Pride flag was unveiled on Friday, ahead of the Pride Parade, and is touted as the largest of its kind, coming in at 200 feet long and 20 feet wide. Very cool to see it displayed right in front of Independence Hall, where of course the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were written and signed. Talk about a huge statement, and how times have changed. Some of my favorite mood enhancers from the weekend....

City Hall was transformed into a Gay Pride Roller Disco in Dillworth Park!!!!

Here is Preston, Sunday evening on board the Moshulu. We had dinner there before heading out of town. The ship, a popular landmark in Penns Landing, the Moshulu is hailed as the world's oldest and largest four-masted tall ship. I think Preston might have been half masted himself!!!!

Happy Pride Month!

36 comments:

  1. Fabulous Pride photos, thanks for sharing them with us! "Not on your team, but on your side" -- what a great sign! And I LOVE that frothy rainbow confection/dress in the first photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Debs...he was WEARING THAT DRESS!!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Brilliant photos. SO nice to see this kind of support and pride. I would have enjoyed being in Philly. It has even more meaning when so much is at stake ... again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Philly always gets a nice crowd. World Pride year was insane and off the hook crowded... and then the pandemic hit...well, it and the LBGT were back bigger than ever!!!!! And it seemed everyone got along.

      Delete
  3. Four Gay Prides?! Ambassador, you are spoiling us...

    Fab photos! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said," oh what the heck!!!!" Can there ever be too much gay?!?!?

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6/05/2023

    Tundra Bunny here...

    That Pride Roller Disco looks like fun! I spent many an evening and weekend at our local roller rink when I was a teenager in the late 1970's... good times! Now I'll be one of the people carrying a "Not On Your Team, But On Your Side" sign....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Tundra!!!!! I used to think I was Olivia Newton John in Xanadu!!!!! I was pretty wick on the rink I must admit.. And we LOVE YOU AND YOUR SUPPORT AND acceptance!!!!!!

      Delete
  5. Yahoo! Photo awesomeness! All that pride and a sailor boy too! *feels faint*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you caught a glimpse of his ass you'd faint too lambchop

      Delete
  6. Nice photos. I'm happy to report I observed tolerance this morning. I took Akeno to the car wash, and there was a church across the street from it that had a Progressive Pride flag hanging on its wall! Seeing that made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! There is a church near my mother 's house that has 6 old doors in the ground and each one a color of the pride flag and a sign that says -OUR doors are open to all. It always makes me happy when I pass it.

      Delete
  7. I totally saw that guy in the first picture. I thought he was absolutely fabulous. And yes the town certainly did show up downtown was gridlocked. I'd say Philadelphia's LGBTQ certainly made their stands clear that we ain't going nowhere. And how cool was it to see that fly in front of Independence Hall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit the huge flag in front of Independance Hall gave me chills.

      Delete
  8. Good for you on getting to all these Pride parades. The more people show up the more it's going to look like we're taking anything for anyone. I look forward to seeing you New York Pride weekend.

    Not you and Preston behave yourself, where'd you play some games of slap and tickle? Lol!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please there is always some slap and tickle when I'm involved sweet cheeks! I'm looking very much forward to NYC Pride.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pictures! I've always loved Philly it's one of my favorite cities. I remember well the one crosswalk intersection having the pride Flags but how cool is it they did all over the neighborhood!?

    Now me and my big group of lesbians are going to be doing the DC Pride this coming weekend I can't wait. And I agree I'm tired of all the corporate sponsorship taking over all the floats. I hope ours remains Grassroots also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only been to DC'S pride maybe three times over the years. They put on quite a parade. Enjoy the day Samantha.!!! Happy Pride Month!

      Delete
  10. I want that first outfit. And I love the roller disco!

    Happy Pride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That roller disco got very packed by 11pm!!!!! I can't say I ever saw one of those set up for Gay Pride before...what a fun event.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous6/05/2023

    I was checking in with my niece and her ftm hubby in kentucky yesterday and cruel is exactly how I described what is happening in many US states, so that placard rings true for me. I too love the "on your side" placard. Tina in West Oz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many great sayings I saw that would be great on tee shirts. I myself before the pandemic stopped attending so many prides, but now I think it is more important then ever to be seen. Thanks for stopping in and commenting Tina!!!

      Delete
  12. Love the "not on your team but on your side" sign. That would make a good t-shirt slogan. Long Beach Pride isn't until August. Not sure yet whether I'll make the trip to watch the parade.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK....this cements it....I have got to get off my ass and call my bestie and go to a gay pride this year. Your right...not the time to be on the sidelines...we aren't throwing the towel in that easy. Very nice pictures Mistress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Gay Pride to those this month!!!! Excellent pictures! I just love Philly. I can't wait to come back. And your right...Philly was a major playing field much like New York with the Civils Rights Movement, and I feel like Philly is one of the cities to really hold onto much of its traditions and roots and very good at preserving its gay community. I just read that Philly has one of the biggest gay communities, where more are moving each year.

    Ps...I also just read that the city also got voted the most walkable city in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Philly had one of the most fun Prides I've been too. Excellent pictures. Ours here in Lexington is coming up on the 24th...I can't wait! I have our group going but my bestie will be in NYC for there Pride.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a wonderful time!!! Though I'm sure you will.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Pride Month!
    i really like the dress the guy is wearing who is coming out of the subway.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous6/06/2023

    Also not on your team but on your side. Happy pride month! GG in toronto

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a excellent time!!!! And in one of the most fun cities. I so need to get back that way again soon!!! Looking forward to two Prides ourselves here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love, love, LOVE!!
    People say going to Pride does not count and I'm here to tell them to shush. It DOES count and it's fabulous!
    Also, I'm going to need to know who's the boy in speedos coming out of the train station....

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Search me....but he seemed very intoxicatied....and intoxicating!!!! Yes...Philly turned out...and the gay establishments were jam packed again!!!!

      Delete
  21. Petula Clark warned us not to sleep on the subway... but, based on what emerges in that one pic... I must reconsider. Happy Pride!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a shame that that rainbow dress was not flattering; that young man could have looked like something more special than a bedspread.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!