Wednesday, September 18, 2019

END OF AN ERA

It was with heartbroken news this summer New Hope found out we were losing our beloved Raven Resort. The current owners sold it to a new company. While they haven't revealed any specific plans, they have said they want to keep the name and preserve the Raven heritage and its LGBTQ ties and will most like level the joint and redesign it. But will be at least two years till a reopen, if it does. This of course, has the older queens very mad,  as they think if will be gone for good. But I will hold out hope that it will indeed reopen one day. In these parts the Raven is legendary, starting out in the 50's as Le Camp and then in the 70's being renamed the Raven. Over the years, one never knew who you might run into. Famous and infamous have been to the Raven, not to mention tons of drag queens from all over the country. It's always been a colorful, campy and fun place. It's always been special to me, as it's where I met new friends upon moving here, and they embraced the Mistress Borghese and my antics and drag style for the last 18 years. I have met many of the older generation and listened in awe of their stories from Stonewall and Studio 54, and famous parties on Fire Island. On any given day or night, it is like Cheers, where everybody knows everybody, and all are welcome.  Good times. It's where Lady Bunny and I would get trashed, I would heckle Hedda Lettuce, and become good friends with the town grand dame Miss Pumpkin, and where I finally met the talented Brit queen Hope Springs.  And met very rascally men suitors!!!! It's where I met both the Lad and Daddy Warbucks. And lord knows just how many square cuts I have worn here. And if you click the Raven in the tabs, you will know their colorful umbrellas have always made me happy. Last Tuesday was the final End of Season Pool Show...very happy and sad, as it's been a Raven staple since the 70's. But rest assured, I got my pool time in this summer. Here's are some great memories from this summer.

The famous Sunday Tea Dances...
Brittany Lynn and DJ Kirk
It's Bev Bitch and Vinchelle
The Mahogany Empress and her peeps came to see one of my shows.
My last square cut to wear there.
The queens!
Miss Tommy and Joe Black
Aloe Vera and Brittany Lynn
The hilarity of Vinchelle

The talented Scarlett Envy played the joint for a Lipstick Monday

Aloe Vera and a cutie!

China Cup and myself from the last pool show Tuesday evening.

Miss Pumpkin
Phoebe Mantrapp would bring the house down as Whitney. 
You'd never know what may happen next.....


My boys...the best bartends, would always keep your Mistress well hydrated. And funny, my bill never did seem right for what a drank!!!!
Adrien and TJ

Zack
Garret and TJ.

This touching video show New Hope, but mostly the Raven from it's earlies days and all it's colorful cast. It will seem odd when it closes October 12th. Whatever becomes of the Raven I am so glad I was able to experience the place, meet many new friends there,  and be just a small part of it's history and cast.

31 comments:

  1. It is always so sad when a treasured venue goes, and one ends up in a perpetual round of petitions and campaigns to try and re-open it. Here in London, the battle for the legendary drag pub The Black Cap in Camden is in its 4th year, with no signs of any movement towards re-opening it; and we've seen gentrification in Earl's Court, Soho and Shoreditch that has forced the closure of many more historic venues in recent years. The pattern is similar across the country, and also in our beloved Amsterdam. No amount of "Grindr" apps will ever take the place of these venerable gay stomping grounds! RIP. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is touching. Lord knows how many young gaylings could come to town and feel safe here. The new owners say it will be gay again, but zoning and permits have not been approved yet... but the older queens aren't believing them. But I am not on those gay apps and won't. Clubs bars and lounges are way more fun and memorable than any app. You go to have a good time, and if you got your dick sucked at the end of the night, it was just icing on the fun filled cake.

      Delete
  2. About five years ago they closed a bar here, three floors of bars, pub style bar and dance floor, plus a "dark room" and it never opened again. It was for the 30 and up gay crowd, now there's nothing to compare it with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily New Hope has a huge gay and trans community so the town establishments are very well mix...and Philly is chalk full of gay clubs yet.

      Delete
  3. That's too bad, sounds like a fun place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping and wishing for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When William and I read this in the New Hope Free Press we couldn't believe it. We'd been there several times for the wonderful restaurant over the years. They always had exceptional chefs, and then the dancing would commence. We also used to go to see Mother's shows. The Raven and New Hope go hand in hand together. Will see weird with out, although the new owners did wonders with Odette's along the river.

    Great to see the Mahogany Empress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does this mean no more Raven posts and summer side pool pictures!??!?!?!

    But your last look for the pool show is incredible... I love the pink hair.... and that bulge in white has me sweating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s never going to be the New Hope I came out in. Everything changes over time and gay people have so many other resources. Gay people are more liberated now with more government-driven legislation for freedom without fear. The one institution that will be missed is our wonderful, talented, and inexhaustible fixture at the keyboard: Russ Eiffert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russ Eiffert…..now there is a town treasure!

      Delete
  8. That is heart breaking to read. I have always thought the Raven sounded like a swell place and was withstanding time.

    But you'll always be remembered for your famous hair accoutrements.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post and pictures!!!! I'm so glad I got to come out several times to see your pool show and your sexy Boylesque show...that was something. I've ALWAYS enjoyed coming to the Raven, always enjoyed the piano bar for show tunes... a staple and the extravagant drag shows!!! Looking forward to the rebirth!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s such a pity that so many of thee businesses are being sold or close down. As you say, there’s a lot of history there. Hopefully they’ll keep it open.
    And the photos are fantastic. Love the eye candy and the sense of community.
    Garrett is a cutie!

    XoXo

    Honey, those square cut are SNUG! 🤣😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I say let's help him get them off, and let junior out!

      Delete
  11. I felt this way when Big Ruby's closed.
    A poem called "The Lost Hotels of Paris" gave me comfort. Look it up it may help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look that up Spo, thank you.

      Delete
  12. I don't think change is ever comfortable, bu then, the 50s queens back in the 70s when it changed from Les Camp to Raven were probably just as undone as their modern day counterparts are now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also, I applaud your open minded attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and China Cup looked great at the pool show...and yes, I too will miss the Raven when I come to town. It will seem odd.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice post and pictures from the summer. The video got me choked up, and I have never been there or know the people. You just sense the fun and the feeling of community.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have got great taste in bar tends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. those fan dancers were cool...if only that jerk in the blue trunks had stayed outta da pix!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you lifeguard at the pool, "we are not sure he is drowning, we are doing mouth to mouth, just as a precaution."

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a shame to lose this history... and escape. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You New Hopians sure love your fans there huh. I hope they reopen better and continue more traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a damn shame.... The new owners must be from here - it's the favorite past-time: Buy it, tear it down with promises of "maintaining the flavor and traditions" in a newer, better place and it's never the same.
    Nothing stays the same forever; we all know this. It's just always sad to see something like this close up. I mean, it looks like it's quite the popular place and well kept, so why tear it down? Why change a thing about it? .....sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
  22. The closest I've ever gotten to anything like this is on one of my rowdier cruises (old peeps can partay!). I visit vicariously through you and this blog. I have fun within the safety of my own home :) I'm hoping for the best, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is really sad news. I hope they reopen it in a few years, but who knows what will happen with that land. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  24. I never made it there but it sure looks fun! I hope it comes back but even better. BUT by the looks of that square cut, something wants out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!