Sunday, November 12, 2017

ENCHANTED CASTLE

I was happy to find myself with a three day weekend, as work has been very busy of late. With over forty hours in, I took Friday off, and as cold as it has gotten I found myself in Doylestown, at one of our hidden gems here. The day started out nice, but got darker as the day went on. I wanted to take some pictures and experiment with finishes, so off I went.If you happened to find yourself traveling through Europe, you probably wouldn’t be that surprised to come across an old castle. However, a castle in the countryside of Philadelphia is another story.
In Doylestown,  that’s what you’ll find. In fact, there are three castle-like structures in the town, all built by the interesting and eccentric Henry Chapman Mercer. Of the three buildings that Mercer built, none were as personal as his home, Fonthill Castle. Built between 1908 and 1910 by 10 unskilled craftsmen and one horse, Mercer’s vision was created using hand-mixed concrete and a trial-and-error method that somehow didn’t fail miserably. Mercer lived in the castle from 1910 until his death in 1930. Dying without heirs, he put his home in a trust as a museum, with the condition that his housekeeper and his assistant, Laura and Frank Swain, be allowed to stay in the home until their deaths. After Laura Swain died in 1975, the home was opened as a museum the following year.
Mercer called Fonthill a “Castle for the New World,” and walking up to the home, it’s not hard to imagine it fitting in well amongst the many castles of Europe. The home’s large size and towering concrete walls make this one of the most impressive home exteriors I’ve come across anywhere around these parts. But the impressiveness doesn’t stop outside. In fact, the interior is just as fascinating, if not more so, than the outside of the home. Unfortunately the interior wasn't open the day I went, but it is quite unique. 
Needless to say, when I got home from freezing my balls off a bowl of hot apple oatmeal was in order.

And in other news, the lovable eagle pair is back again in Florida. Harriet and M15 have made the nest ready, and she will most likely lay eggs soon. It's already been fasanating to watch both parents ready the nest, and how particular they are with nest keeping. Last year was a treat and highly addictive to watch the whole cycle. I even shed a tear when baby E9 left. To watch the cam live go here.

30 comments:

  1. what, the houseboyz and the gin didn't warm you up? oatmeal just ain't the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on where you apply it (so I've been told *cough*)

      Delete
    2. I tried the hot wax thing before, but never hot oatmeal.

      *make metal note for when the Lad returns*

      Delete
    3. deedles has a naughty mind - I like that in my friends!

      Delete
  2. The pictures are just gorgeous, as usual. You've got a wonderful eye, Mistress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I vaguely remember a previous post of yours about this concrete castle - quite fascinating. A shame it wasn't open for you for this visit, though.

    I do keep going back to the second image - with that uniform colouring, it looks like an elaborate sand-castle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was exactly my thought on seeing it! Jx

      Delete
    2. The first time I saw it from a distance, it does appear to be a HUGE sand castle. In the summer definitely. In the winter, a more dark, haunting feel.

      Delete
  4. When I lived in Philly, I used to come out to Bucks County all the time because the Mercer home and his others places always fascinated me. I don't know it is documented, but I can't but help wonder if he was gay. He was well liked, a man about town, good taste, single, and eccentric. Fonthill is amazing in person, although I imagine in the winter, it must have been hell to heat. Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is damn cold inside during the winter months.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a cold, but fun day with an outing. Always something of interest around you. Next time you best where your long johns to keep the boys warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, but a rather haunting place. I sure it is just the weather. I've heard of Mercer tiles. A home here actually has some in it. I wonder if it could be the same Mercer?

    I sure hop you roasted the chestnuts when you got home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing it is indeed Mercer tiles. You know a Mercer tile when you see one.

      Delete
  7. What an interesting place. Upon seeing this unusual structure you can feel the intelligence of its design. The brilliance of his mind comes through to his hands in celebrating trades of hard working men. Love to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. With such character and charms as the area where you are, I'm surprised more movies and tv shows are based there. It would bound to be a beautiful cinematic, scene with a very twin peaks story too it. The castle certainly is interesting.

    Love those eagles!!!!!! I've been watching too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Have you heard of M Night Shyamalan? Most of his movies have been filmed here, as was a recent Nicole Kidman film.

      Delete
  9. No denying Fonthill is a quirky, interesting, one of a kind piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i can see you living in a castle as a modern day Rapunzel mistress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Saw lots of castles in England and France. When we in London, near the end of six weeks, we were down on the Thames, saw a sign, and said, 'oh, just another Roman road.' and then had to think about that... those Roman roads were STILL there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Not that I'm an expert, but one does get a vibe on something....but a positive one. I have never heard of any seen hauntings though. The place does a feel to it.

      Delete
  13. What a intriguing place to visit. I love to see places people live. It's one reason that attracts me to your blog. I like learning and seeing new places. If I wanted news, I'd watch the news.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a hopeless romantic, We've have had to see Fonthill castle several times. The exterior is visually stunning.The interior is fully decorated with intricate handmade Mercer tiles. A bedroom might have more than one entrance, so basically you can go around the building and go back to where you are without backtracking your way. Sort of like a maze, which is pretty fun. Doylestown is quite a charming town.

    Thanks for the tidbit about the eagles too. Off to go see.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Allen H11/13/2017

    While searching online, I came across your blog and felt to compeled to comment. We first visited Fontill from southern Calif about 5-6 years ago, we returned at the end of a New York City vacation; we love Fonthill, Henry Chapman Mercer was an amazing man, we loved seeing all of Mercer's tiles, and the many many rooms and hearing the stories again. Highly recommend to anyone who are anywhere near New Hope, one of our fav towns in America!

    ReplyDelete
  16. An odd and wonderful place. If you freeze your balls off there's less to tuck.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty,. kinda spooky, and serene. i'd love to see the interiors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This just makes me want a prince charming.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now I wonder why no one told me of these things when I was there for the wife's grandpop's 90th way back when....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did you find a Prince Charming at the castle?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!