Wednesday, June 7, 2017

ROOM WITH A VIEW

This past weekend, Daddy Warbucks was back from England, but we pre-planned this visit for once. Our time took us to the big apple where he was staying at the Whitby Hotel. Last time he was here I mentioned I wouldn't mind seeing the photography exhibit of the talented fashion photographer, Irving Penn at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Incidentally...the exhibit is phenomenal if you get a chance.
out right, gratuitous eye candy.....And check out the booty of the guy up the steps in blue tee shirt.

I tell you this....I could really live in a hotel....permanently!!!! You may already know about this stylish boutique hotel chain by Firmdale Hotels, if you travel a lotwhich include The Ham Yard Hotel in London, and the the Crosby Street Hotel in New York. The owners, have created these luxury hotels which feel as if you are staying in the home of a very stylish friend. The Whitby is no different. By far one of my favorite hotels to date. I just love the unexpected in a hotel and the Whitby has it. The Whitby was a mix of old and new furnishings and fantastic art to boot. Each room has been curated and decorated by owner, British interior designer, Kit Kemp. The Whitby just opened their doors to the public in May, making this their second hotel in New York City. I didn't witness one blunder. It's  centrally located on West 56th street and 5th avenue, and a perfect spot to stop in for a summer cock-a-tail or 8 or dinner, and most certainly a favorite stay for out-of-town guests looking for a hotel with some character.

I wanted to take one of these home...
I anymore much prefer the boutiques hotel over the big chains. With their signature upholstered, tall headboards in each room, the Whitby is a hotel with a big personality, and I loved it.  The rooms are outfitted nicely with beautiful textiles and detailing in every nook and cranny. It's not often the bed linens are quite comfy and of quality, and the quilted head board..... was great!!! insert joke here_________. I didn't even want to get out of the bath one night.

The Whitby Bar was one of my favorite things about the hotel. Shocked aren't ya? The drinks were mixed perfect and the staff very engaging, and every table was set with fine touches, along with real china and silver. It made eating breakfast there each morning a real treat since such things are becoming more rare in restaurants.

Love the breakfast china.....birds!!!

The Whitby is also home to a library,
Warbuck's better side


The hotel offers, The Whitby Bar, The Conservatory where tea is served each afternoon, along with a movie theater and state-of-the-art gym. And the roof top views were spectacular!!! I have always adored a penthouse view....


The hotel is  quirky and nuanced, sophisticated, yet cozy, and very colorful, just like I like it, Aren't you surprised? If I forward my  mail there, I'll let you know.
💋

39 comments:

  1. How fabulously luxurious! Fun yet not elegantly stuffy. I'm ready to move in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A library!! Count me in! Great tour as always. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear, I would think I had died and gone to heaven. What a beautiful place to call HOME away from home. I have heard good things about Whitby since it opened. Great work done by the designer, the interiors designs looks stunning.

    I would like to see The Irving Penn exhibit too. I remember his work from Vogue well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous hotel
    Gorgeous ass.
    We need to get back to New York again; it's been too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do! Now with two of your dames being on the great white way.

      Delete
  5. Oooooh, beautiful! Sounds like your weekend went very well! The hotel is stunning...I'd been hard pressed to get out of the bath too, or that bed for that matter. I've been to the Ham Yard, but never stayed yet. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bar and the library design looks amazing! I would probably never even leave the hotel. I saw the Irving Penn Exhibit on Charlie Rose one night....looked amazing from what I saw of the show.

    Your starting off this new chapter right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the same special....it was very good I thought.

      Delete
  7. OMB, from the back daddy warbucks looks good enough to eat!

    and that hotel - FABU; would LOVE to stay there and admire every detail over several cock-a-tails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left a swell crack for you on the Portraits of a Queen post! I found your twin!

      Delete
  8. What a gorgeous hotel. Looks like heaven. They'd have to cart me out of there. And yes...that booty is nice!

    Still sorry to hear the news from the post the other day. You can always get a job as a hotel reviewer?!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are Dominique Devereaux, and I claim my prize!

    Jx

    PS The Ham Yard Hotel in Soho is very new, too - we saw it going up. Opposite its entrance is the famous Archer Street (for many years the gathering place for musicians and songwriters), wherein was located one of our regular haunts (now a cocktail/wine bar unfortunately) for years, BarCode; next door to the headquarters of the late "King of Soho" Paul Raymond and the notorious Windmill Theatre (Mrs Henderson Presents)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we stayed at the Ham Yard we went to Archer Street. The drinks were really expensive, but the internal decor was amazing. Sounds like it might have been more interesting then, from your recount.

      Delete
    2. It's always hard when the haunts we like the most disappear.....

      Delete
  10. The Whitby looks wonderful. I prefer boutique hotels, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Talk about the lap of luxury!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have me all a-flutter with this post. Magic, indeed! Those cocktails look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great new hotel, I will have to add that to my list when I stay in New York. I agree, anymore boutique hotels offer better service, and much more "homy" feeling. That is such I great idea, with a library. I love reading but hate lugging the book with me. there surly is something of interest in their to read, besides Warbucks backside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing against the chains, I have stayed in some nice ones too, but it's nice once in a while to have nice luxury also.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful. And, much, much, much better than staying at a Trump property. However, both would be waaay out of my price range. But, it's the small touches that make the difference - like a headboard which prevents massive trauma to a bottom. ;-)

    Hugs, my mistress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I and my head thanked the heard board several times.

      Delete
  15. Hey for being a queen, you should be living like one :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never even been in a hotel room that nice, I hope you're enjoying it...looks wonderful. The only rooms I can get have a vibrating bed in them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You could have at least offered some sanctuary for the cute little wayward boy outside the museum couldn't you?

    Great home away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear, you woke up Saturday morning in a gorgeous room, I was busy sorting out my household refuse by 8:30am to take to the collections. This is so called " difference between Heaven and Hell"! Right?

    The Whitby is rather ravishing isn't it? Love the touches.
    Yet, I really enjoy looking at all your photos and love this great gap!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd be asking for them to move my bed into the libaray - how great it is. I love books!!!

    I've never stayed in a hotel that had a library. And the bar looks quite cool too. The views!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that hotel and its love of beautiful moments are amazing! I felt like I was on a relaxing vacation with you. Thanks for sharing all these treasures from the weekend. I like all the fresh flowers too.

    Irving Penn was one TALANTED photographer. One of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Holy cow that's a gorgeous hotel! I'd move in too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow that place looks AMAZING. better than the 5 star hotels I've stayed that are considered real high end. Love the green quilted head board. And that tub???

    ReplyDelete
  23. all these years, and you finally pick a hotel with padded head boards.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is amazing that they have a library, and a beautiful one at that! Those drinks sure do look lip smacking.

    ReplyDelete
  25. GREAT PHOTOS!!
    I luv everything - the bed, bath, library, window views - - and especially those chairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tub would do your back some good I bet.

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!