Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Julianne Moore Moment



Boy, I tell ya, it has been a grueling work week so far. Between people getting catty and bitching, and the work load, they can all kiss my bubble butt! Why can't they all just be happy and enjoy life? They drive the Mistress to drink! So I think tonight I need to unwind like a scene from one of my favorite movies, A Single Man. Easily my all time favorite scene from a movie. Fashion designer Tom Ford gets it spectacularly right first time round in his directorial debut, A Single Man. This adaptation of the 1964 novel by Christopher Isherwood about a gay British college professor in LA coping with the death of his partner is both stylistically assured and quietly moving as it charts a day in a life that has been scooped out but also spiritualised by grief and loss. Julianne Moore is a worthy support to Colin Firth as a lonely, gin-tippling ( she is soooo the Mistress) woman who is still in love with her best friend,they had a brief sexual relationship many years before, and torn between sympathy for him and regret about what might have been if he hadn’t turned into a old pooof! Moore reminds me of myself when in drag with the fashion style and her hair! So I'm going to have some gin and dance to this scene tonight. That is what is needed, after all, don't we all need a moment like this? And how luxurious is that room!


19 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/19/2011

    Oh, why can I just picture this??? I do see you bringing much more animation to the role... and much bigger hair! LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a stunning film on so many levels. I was a bit miffed when Moore wasn't nominated for an Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl with your bad self! And when I saw this movie, I have to say she did remind me of you. Your not kidding one bit. Love this movie .Wow.
    and why doesnt julianne moore have an oscar already?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This easily one of my top most favorite scene from a movie too! We all should have a moment like this, except I think you really do do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this scene :) Thanks for posting! Now go have your moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This scene is SO intens! And it wouldn't surprise me if you are going to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific scene. For the first time ever Julianne loosens up a little (all of her other performances have been built around instints of craft and precision). This is so much fun that viewers can almost forget the sadness behind each of the characters that they play in the film. I can see why this feel good scene is one of your favorites from a film. But you make me laugh. Now I want to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eric- I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!

    Skill- your so right. I would have more animation, bigger hair, and would drink WAY MORE gin!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i don't know what i love more... julianne moore or that dress.... Have a good moment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful scene from a wonderful movie! This will be undoubtly your highlight moment today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lurved this movie. Tom Ford is amazing. I though Colin and Juliane were completely natural, I felt right at home watching the gin flow across their lips. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read the novel years ago when I was on an Isherwood kick but I positively BLUSH to say that I haven't seen the movie yet. And you know that Colin Firth is my one male crush, too! I'm too busy for my own good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lurrrve her as well!
    I can't wait to see Tom Ford's next film!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah I can see you coming home to do this! I feel like doing it now. And I wouldn't mind seeing that bubble butt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah Maddie,

    Drinking gin is a fine thing, but for a really bad day you need vodka mudslides.

    I mean really, what more could a girl ask for, chocolate alcohol!

    (when my little guy asked what I was doing I told him chatting to a friend who was having a bad day. His exact words were to tell you when it gets bad, hug a duck, shave a squirrel and scream at the sky....)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This film sparked a true love for the 1960s in me. I would love to see you doing this tonight! You really are something else!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a very well performed movie. I love it also! And I would love to see you come home and do this! You are nuts though! And about this bubble butt.......

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sassy- ahhh that is so cute! Today was much better! And you know I have a pet squirrel in the yard who I feed every mornging. He runs right up to me when he hears me leave. I named it Bouvier. But I don't think I will shave it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a real good feel good moment we should all do!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!