Saturday, August 12, 2023

CELEBRATING ELEPHANTS

I have always had a love of elephants since a young child. Even rode a few and once at the Philly zoo when little a zookeeper actually took me into the pen to see one up close. It was amazing how big it was and yet so graceful. I was smitten then. World Elephant Day is an international awareness campaign dedicated to the conservation and protection of our planet's biggest animal. The day aims to raise awareness of the threats facing elephants, including its biggest issue-habitat loss, in addition to poaching and human-elephant conflict, and to promote efforts to ensure the survival of African, Indian and Asian elephants' species. World Elephant Day was first launched in 2012 by filmmakers Patrica Sims and Michael Clark in conjunction with the Elephant Reintroduction Foundation. The day provide a platform for organizations, government and individuals to come to together, share knowledge and participate in initiative aimed at protecting elephants and their habitats.

I have been a long member of the Sheldrick Trust, world -renowned for its work rescuing and rehabilitating orphaned baby elephants, and others that have had injuries, conflicts and sickness. It was founded in 1977 by Dame Daphne Sheldrick to honor her late husband, David Sheldrick. Since 2001 it has been run by their daughter Angela, who put together a monthly newsletter to feature it's elephants and the months accomplishments and pictures of the elephants. Her mother was the only person to ever make the perfect milk formula and combination for baby elephants, one that imitated the mother's milk perfectly. To date they have saved and reintroduced over 600 elephants back into existing herds in the wild. And many might not know just how social elephants are...and the feelings they have. Many develop close bonds to their human mid wives and husbands...many, once back in the wild, return years later, and still remember the sanctuary and their handlers. They return to say hi and sometimes to introduce them to their own little babies and their next generation. The Sheldrick Trust has raised multi generations now and it's exciting to see. Their emails are always a welcome site, sometimes smile and laugh and sometimes tears. The Trust also has a variety of other animals in addition to elephants. They are a swell foundation, and I shutter to even think where the population of elephants would be without them. Today, when I make my donation, it will be in Dame Daphne's memory.


Happy World Elephant Day!
 
To celebrate, if anyone is inclined to make a donation you can head here to show your support and love of these extraordinary creatures. Or just peruse their site...it's amazing.

25 comments:

  1. Sadly, this is the only place I saw any mention of such a great cause today. I'm am off to see the site, thanks for the link and make a donation. I love elephants too and only hope we as human wake the fuck up and start sharing the planet and being better stewards. Cause right now we suck at it and are greedy bastards. We bound to threaten everything, as is evident in this week's fires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! They are such magnificent creatures and have suffered so much at human hands. Love that photo of the white-haired lady hugging the elephant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the caring and loving Dame Daphne Sheldrick! More love for elephants then any other human.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that info! I didn't know it was the Lady herself!

      Delete
  3. Here , Here Mistress!!!! I know this is a passionate topic for you Sadly I wish more were like you. I fear for all creatures, I do. I will do a donation myself and in your honor. I follow the Sheldrick Trust too. I am full of Respect and Admiration to Angela for continuing the legacy... & her Family & for every Keeper, that give their loving care to every one of these orphan elephants and not forgetting Angela's Mother & Father- The late Daphne & David Sheldrick who were the original Co- Founders of this unique and wonderful, organization, true hero's ...I highly recommend A True Love Story by Daphne Sheldrick if you haven't read it... it's a great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Agnes!!!!!! Everytime I look at the elephant you sent me I think of you.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to meet an elephant, and perhaps one day - thanks to the work of the Sheldrick Trust keeping them from extinction - I will (or at least my nieces or nephew might, as I loathe travelling)?
    Thanks for highlighting World Elephant Day, Maddie! And also for giving me an idea of what to get The Mother for her birthday later this month - a donation in her name to the trust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. In the Star Trek universe, elephants are recognised as sentient (of course) - from Christopher L. Bennett's novel "Living Memory".

      Delete
    2. If she likes elephants Mr DeVice, that would be an excellent birthday gift!!!!

      Can I kiss you now?

      Delete
  5. I'm a huge elephant and giraffe person myself. The video brings me to tears of hope and happiness. Just watched this that filled my heart & soul and yearn to be a part of that amazing organization & compassionate team helping save, raise & conserve the wildlife there, especially the special amazing elephants. What a great creature they are, and the abuse humans have put them through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy World Elephant Day to Elephant Lovers around the world!! What a Beautiful video to celebrate this special day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy World Elephant Day!! Such a beautiful post Mistress. I want to give also. That video is excellent and gives us animals lovers hope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love elephants too and have been giving to the Sheldrick Trust for years now. I hope they know those of us who can only watch and/or donate appreciate all they do every day. I wish every elephant and person who loves them a wonderful WORLD ELEPHANT DAY. I'll be checking in on my favorite, beautiful elephants and people!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that's what I call elephants LOVE Mistress!..in overdrive 😂🤣 I hope this elephant day of promotion is a big success for them! I agree, with the other comment...this is the only mention I have seen today...how sad. I saw they have a shop, I may order some of their pretty note cards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8/12/2023

    Tundra Bunny here...

    What a beautiful homage to elephants and the people working so hard for the past 45 years to protect them! You've inspired me to check out the Sheldrick Trust and make a donation, Maddie -- Happy World Elephant Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a wonderful, lifesaving and life sustaining foundation! Doing such good work. And doing more than just their work with elephants and such.

      Delete
  11. My Grandfather (RIP) had carved ivory elephants from China that he proudly displayed until the day I showed him an article in National Geographic about their endangered status. He put them away and never displayed them again. He started collecting carved wooden ones after that. Thank you sharing this important site about elephants and what we can do to protect them. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The horror stories of elephants left slaughtered on the face and left to bleed out for just there tusk. And for what? Ivory. Which does nothing for us and serves no purpose. It's great you were able to change his view lambchop!!!!

      Delete
  12. I've always loved elephants!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You might be interest in Elephant as spirit animals...https://whatismyspiritanimal.com/spirit-totem-power-animal-meanings/mammals/elephant-symbolism-meaning/
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. Magnificent animals.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love elephants as well. Thanks for reminding us about them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maddie, you turned me on to this day last year, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Elephants and whales are far less likely than humans to suffer from cancer, despite their size.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't know this thing existed; I learned something.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!