Thursday, July 20, 2023

MYRA!

Here is an example of a camp queen I love, and another that has craved her own longstanding drag career out on her own name and talent and has the staying power to prove it. Myra DuBois is a standup snark comedian and drag performer from Rotherham and based in London. Think a much older Bianca Del Rio of England! Mrya  is a sardonic side-eye comedian and carries on the tradition of the likes of Shirley McClean, Doris Fish, and Gwyneth Fishtrow. She leaves audiences, I can attest, across the globe in physical pain from laughter with her take no prisoners brand of rapid -fire comedy, shade and hilarity. With her funny facial expressions, unpredictable intelligent character comedy, the self-declared siren of South Yorkshire can work a room, sparing very little of anyone with her sharp tongue, and yet somehow keeping everybody affectionately on-side. Myra's career started in burlesque and gay clubs and has since went full on blast. Myra has even appeared on Britain's Got Talent and a drag related play titled, Dragath Christie's Death Drop with Willam and Latrice Royale, as well as a drag make over show, Queen for a Night... turning male celebrities into drag queens. But this bitch got stage presence and knows how to command a room, and you better be listening or be prepared to be the next victim of being heckled!!! 


Myra ...with Bianca Del Rio....

23 comments:

  1. And I just know this is going to look like someone in Mitchell's family like a cousin, aunt or family friend!!! Am I right Mitchell? I thought of you when selecting Myra..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddie:
      You know me too well at this point. I never appreciated how much like drag queens all my Aunt Florence's friends looked. But Myra and Myrna could be sisters! (although Myrna would be about 103 by now.)

      Delete
  2. I caught her once when in England! She is a hoot. I swear, British queens just have more flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...UK queens are woohoo good and campy.

      Delete
  3. I get a little Phyllis Diller in some of the shots, but I do so love a comic queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Bob! Give me classic, comic Hickory Farms cheese drag any day.

      Delete
  4. She reminds me a tad of the Late Great Cashetta. Have seen Myra and she is a real talent out of so many that have little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh Cashetta!!!! She was a legend of Greenwich Village.

      Delete
  5. Hilarious! I did have to put theCC on to enjoy all the comedy, but it was worth it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's true, he has a very expressive face!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilarious. I dated her daughter in the '70s. But she went by the name Myrna back then. Myrna Cohen. My aunt, the one with all the friends who looked like drag queens, introduced us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've known Myra (Gareth) for years - and absolutely adore her! [See here and here] One of the most talented queens on the scene. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She and Hope Springs.... two of your country's jewels. Two that I have seen and adore both of them.

      Delete
  9. Looked like she was drinking de-caf in the opening sequence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She looks like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought that first pic was Phyllis Diller!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coo, multi-coloured rubbish bins; we've only got brown (garden waste), blue (recycling) and green (everything else). I wonder what the yellow and orange bins are for?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The moment the cocktail went into the mug, I was in.
    Funny, biting, witty and absolutely outrageous. And she can sing!
    And finding someone who can crack up Bianca? Priceless.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  14. THAT's the kind of drag I like to watch. Fierce and naughty and FUN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I love them all...but I take a campy queen over a fishy gorgeous queen any day.

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!