Thursday, February 16, 2023

MS VON BOTTOKX

The one thing I miss the most about drag these days is the raw look of drag it had back in the 80's and early 90's. While US drag is becoming dangerously far too polished, in the Europe and other countries drag still continues to lag behind and I find it a bit refreshing. Drag is not meant to be highly polished, or so serious or sport, and there is no rule book, of what to do and don't do...but I do find some countries having fun raw drag of which I talk...like one Brittany Von Bottokx, who hails from Brussels. She has the fun drag style, a tad glam, and some club kid look I love so much. Brittany Von Bottokx is a wig-loving queen with an original and independent look. No queen in Belgium likes wigs as much as Brittany, I think. No matter their shape, style, or color, this beloved queen loves and wears them all. Tender and sweet, Brittany has a great sense of humor that reflects her drag. She doesn't fear experimenting, and doesn't fear the look of others and stands for what she believes in. Bubbly and witty, socially engaged in the LGBTQ community, she led many story times where she reads inclusive fairy tales to children in order to raise awareness on gender identity and promote tolerance. I find her refreshing, exuberant, noisy and maybe a bit crazy. She will also be seen of the next drag installment of Drag Race...Drag Race Belgique...which seems to be a variety of queens, yet unseen in the franchise. It may be nice to see a season of queens not as polished and more raw.  


Premiers February 16 on WowPresents Plus with host Rita Baga

9 comments:

  1. I found her/his IG profile here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the glitter eyepatch! I love the whole "look" in that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat Lark2/16/2023

    Drag is supposed to be irreverent and FUN. We still see that here, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With wigs like that Ms Bottokx would be at home at the court of Louis XV

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love irreverent, slapstick, messy Drag.
    Polished Drag is for pageant. Trashy Drag is for the stage. Like you, I like 'old school', inventive Drag that relied on telling a story with every outrageous costume.
    Ms Bottokx is fab.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admit I prefer drag shows that are a bit dog-eared and obviously a man in dress not giving a damn to his looks or style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all drag queens, but you're right it says rough around the edges local drag shows that always seem to be the most memorable.

      Delete
  7. I love the fact that Brittany Von Bottokx doesn’t look like she's been botoxed to the extreme. I like the realness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At first i thought that first picture was you in drag!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!