Wednesday, July 19, 2017

SOME TIME IN URUGUAY

 I know, Uruguay – who goes there?  That’s what I thought when MM#1 Fan said we were going there of a day trip. There are only so many day trips out of Buenos Aires worth exploring and Colonia came highly recommended so we bought  ferry tickets on Colonia Express and explored this cute little seaside town.
The whole town of Colonia del Sacramento is compact and walkable.  You can also rent a car or a buggy for the day, but  its cobblestoned streets are best explored on foot. Since we went in winter time Colonia felt like a sleepy town, even though the temps and winter aren't like ours – not only were the only locals we saw the shop owners, but we kept running into the same people over and over again. But I could totally picture Colonia being the quaintest little town in the summer with its the cobblestone streets, Portuguese influence, colorful shops, and the abundance of trees and florals that blanket the buildings and line the streets in the right season. One of our waitress said it just burst with color in the spring and summer.  Once there we first had a  relaxing  sip  of cafe con leche at one of the cafes. The rest of the day was spent admiring the architecture, the little old world cafes and looked at the handsome mens.With the oldest streets in Uruguay, dating back to the early 1680’s, the town gives a much different feel than that of the lively neighbor to the West.Above all, you get to peacefully enjoy the historic atmosphere of the streets, which can transport you back to a time from centuries ago. So much different then here in America. I also noticed a lot of dogs lounging about unlike the cats in the cemetery in Buenos Aires. Not to mention they seemed to have a lot of vintage cars....one even had a tree growing out of it.
Take a trek on up the Lighthouse steps for about $2.50 in our dollars for some beautiful views of the town.
 A short distance  from the city will allow you to check out an old ,and Uruguay’s only, bullfighting ring, which was abandoned only 2 years after being constructed  when Uruguay banned bullfighting back in 1912. Olay!
The perfect way to finish the day is by having dinner and drinks in the quaint eateries. Enjoy your drinks and  dinner in full relaxation mode. We had the best empanadas I ever had, and they served the red wine in jam like glasses.
Take in the fresh air & quiet atmosphere, do some people watching, and watch the sun close out the day before heading back to the ferry

So glad we went, who knew I'd be in two countries this trip?

32 comments:

  1. Nice pics! One of these days I'm going to have to play tourist and visit Old Town San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these beautiful posts are making me want to leave the country. INCREDIBLE scenery...off season are not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply breathtaking! I had no idea there was even a ferry to Uruguay, or how close. This must have been a relaxing day away from Buenos Aires? I just love the old world charm and the sleeping dogs...those cars. You do a vacation so well Mistress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw some of these on your Instagram and was in awe. Such a great trip in this nice little colonial historic center.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talk about soaking in the history and local flavor! Amazing locale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks rather cool.... What are prices like? Any ex-pats living there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prices weren't too bad, but the resturants and drinks were more than that of Buenos Aires. The people we saw were pretty much locals, who families have been for years. But I sure there had to be a few ex-pats around.

      Delete
  7. Colonia del Sacramento.... its amazing. Why have I never heard of it before this???

    ReplyDelete
  8. A car pot, who knew?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. After seeing all these posts, I do believe I'd stay there. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely charming town! We didn't have time to go when we were there. we were not there as long as you, but had heard it was very picturesque. I too heard dogs are all over freely roaming. That last shot is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Mistress. For me it is one of the most romantic places in the world. Glad you had chance to see it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get a room ready for me...I'm coming back!

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful little town! And wonderful photos, too. I'd be in heaven there - dogs all over the place, trees growing out of cars (!), hardly any people (I'd have to go somewhere else in the summer to escape them, no doubt).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And for the reasons you mention...it's perfect. Let's both go and get a little place shall we?

      Delete
  13. I don't know a thing about Uruguay so I really appreciated the interesting tour - - and the FANTASTIC photos.....

    ....although that dog lying in the middle of the street had me worried. Hopefully no fast and reckless drivers were around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same, but with the town being so ghost town like, we saw very few cars even driving. But I'm sure he would have moved.

      Delete
  14. interesting photos, dear; and those empanadas are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mailed you some. didn't they show up???

      Delete
  15. The world is so inviting .... I need to travel more me thinks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure with your free time now, me thinks you should!

      Delete
  16. You had me at relaxing and cafe con leche.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's the sort of off-the-beaten-path place that I love! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having never met you guys, I have the feeling you two would have loved this trip. I thought that a couple times.

      Delete
  18. Looks wonderful, a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps a Travel Penguin destination?

      Delete
  19. What yet another beautiful setting for a sight see. It's like it was frozen in time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I still missing it too..........

    ReplyDelete
  21. That town is amazing and I think my favorite part of the trip. I love towns like this.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!