Friday, November 27, 2015

THE BLACK DAY AFTER

 
Hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving Day, and were able to walk, not waddle, away from the table like I!!! As usual,  I over ate my aunt's delicious dinner and got sent home with dinners for at least 3 nights. Good thing I plan to work off this meal........ Today in the states is what is called Black Friday. And if your in retail like yours truly, most can  attest to the crazies and the mayhem that ensue.  Luckily for me, I'm in visual display, and won't have to deal with the crowds, or the mess of anything like the picture above. whew. Besides, you so wouldn't want me waiting on you...it would be like Karen Walker waiting on you. Although, I am fond of taking a very good inseam measurement!!!  No, we will be the catty bitches laughing at all the crowds fighting and clawing at each other for the "deal of the day", and picking out all the hot hunky men.  I could frankly give a crap otherwise. Our store was fortunate enough to have a very good year already, and since were a luxury retailor, we won't offer all the deals the big box stores do. Another plus, we will go in at 7 like regular, and work till 1, and then were done for our day, where we will have had offered our services to help keep the store straightened. We also only have minimal Christmas décor up at this time, at least for another two weeks.  Got me to thinking of vintage black Friday ads and some of the days of old.
A early bird shopper to the old Bonwit Teller in Wynnewood, right outside of Philly. Used to be a Grande Dame of a store.

 
Nothing like window shopping !!!!
 
Another now defunct gem......I. Magnin!!!!
 
I can remember fondly, my grandmother, mother and I taking Christmas shopping trips to Philadelphia to the opulent, and grand John Wanamaker. Of course the monorail train ride for kids had been long stopped running when we went. It was up for decoration only, all around the toy department. Otherwise... I would have wanted a ride, next to a cute boy in it for sure!!! We would get all our shopping down there, and then have lunch on one of the balcony restaurants. What a store that was. More like a museum really. Have a wonderful black Friday to all!!! Will any of you be brave enough to go out and shop? Or go to people watch? Which ever you decide, enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. I always look forward to this time of year since you always give us the decorative eye candy from various stores. I'm already looking forward to the first post on that.

    I went to a store at 11pm on a whim last night, but in a strip mall. It was "midday" crowded, but nothing like the fist fights I saw on TV this morning.

    I will be going to the mall after work tonight. Hopefully I won't need to use what I'm buying as a weapon to get out of there alive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Yes I will have post coming. Ill be in the city for a day of frolic soon with things to share. Some store here opened at 3pm. Just gross. Soon we will have no holiday time with friends and family.

      Delete
  2. How I used to ADORE Bonwitt and Wanamakers. They sure don't make them like that anymore. Very nice trip down memory lane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool pictures! I'm actually done with my shopping, but may go man watch for for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the vintage ads and the black Friday pictures. I didn't go anywhere near stores. And how I miss me some Wanamakers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wasn't wanamaker's FABU? grandmother and I also went to lit's, gimbel's, snellenburg's, and strawbridge's too. lunch was always at the crystal tea room at the top of wanamaker's.

      those were the days!

      Delete
    2. Still can't believe what became of Wanamakers.

      Delete
  5. some of those shoppers are darn scary! we stayed home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great vintage nostalgia!
    At this point in my life, I'm glad to be away from the frenzy of Los Angeles and safely ensconced in the TN wilderness. I don't miss the holiday stampede.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had I not had to work, I'd wouldn't either. I am staying in with leftover this weekend.

      Delete
  7. today is BUY NOTHING DAY; I bought nothing.

    holiday shopping (for spouse only) was completed online last sunday; merchandise was at my front door by wednesday. 20% off AND free shipping too! and no muggings/shootings/screaming brats/fights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very fun black Friday post. Sure don't miss that tradition!!!! But I do miss Magnin's, what a store that's was. And haven't heard the name B.Altmans in ages. Are they still around? Sure hope you survived the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i wouldn't step foot in a store on black friday. ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally with Norma. Everyone already knows what a miserable experience it is. Why volunteer for it?

      Delete
    2. I agree, When work was done, I couldn't make tracks quick enough out of there.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous11/28/2015

    Shopping by mono rail? Its the only way.
    Jean-paul

    ReplyDelete
  11. That whole thing is getting out of hand anyway, people start lining up 15-20 hours before the stores open. No Thanks!! Nice picture of the old gems though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm staying away from the stores this weekend...at least in person. Internet shopping on the other hand, I'm totally allowing myself.

    Hope your Black Friday adventures went well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That 1st photo is so real. Exactly what happens... Mess.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!