Thursday, February 24, 2022

OFF THE GRID

About a year ago I became infatuated with watching a You Tube show, Tyler and Todd and have yet missed an episode, which they generally do every Sunday. Tyler and Todd Gibbon-Thorne met online at the ripe young age in 12th grade online, and have been together ever since, through college and beyond. They were the young married couple, had great jobs, and lived in a four-bedroom house in Alberta Canada, where they were accepted and supported by their friends and family. Come 2019 they ditched it all to hit the road in a 1996 recreational vehicle that they bought for $7,000. And lived they have since. Their initial show surrounded their travels in the vehicle and their camping exploits with their two dogs Charlie and Eddie...and then when COVID hit, their current project -building a home on ten acres in the wildness of Nova Scotia came about as they decided to live completely off the grid. I was so jealous. The series is beyond fascinating, as we see the candid ups and downs and definitely huge learning challenges they can go through and meet head on with in a weeks' time.


Of course, it doesn't hurt that they are both so fricking adorable! I have to give them credit for doing this, as I know, I wouldn't even know where to start. But I'm very romanticized by the idea of living out away from everything and everyone, as in these times I can't stand most of the news, people's behaviors and the current climate of things. And Im a huge nature lover as your aware. I've long thought I may be destined to become the next Little Edie. I just adore glamping in the summer when in the Pocono Mt...and could just easily stay in my little swank vintage camper, but then where do the houseboys stay?  I would love to do what they have done and have the balls to do it, but honey, do I look like a queen who beats her laundry on a rock? None of this is in my wheelhouse. I could only do it, if it was all done for me, or I move in with Tyler and Todd. They just blow my mind with what they have done, and STILL love each other. And I'm here to tell you they do it all, with very little help. They even grow most of their own food, found and created their water sources, and recently finished their Geo Dome home that they now live in. Yes, I think these two are on to something. I'm so intrigued week after week. Although my living off the grid might be me going to live in a monastery. Here are two clips. One of the first get to knows and why they live off the grid, and their most current from this past Sunday.


I was glad they did this past episode on Sunday. You can sort of sense the wear and tear, the wear down of the elements and the stress of all these different projects they have. I often wondered if they would take a break and escape it all.


Who's in?

35 comments:

  1. Nope. You lost me at snow. Fun to visit, don't want to live in it. These guys are adorably sweet though. I just don't have the youth or the balls (well, ovaries) to do this kind of thing. I admire those who do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a geo dome home would take me getting use too at first, but I am very adaptable.

      Delete
    2. Like you Deedles I am too ancient to even think of going off grid, although it would be best for the world if we all did.

      Delete
    3. Helen is on to it again.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE their channel! As a part of LGBT community and someone who dreams about off-grid life, they are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just wow. I know I couldn't live like that. I'd be the old eccentric lady living like a recluse in an old huge house. Wait a minute..... But they are truly amazing. I have watched three of their videos already. Love seeing two people working so well together for a common goal. They are brillant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can come to Grey Gardens with me. Now that would be a pairing.

      Delete
  4. LOVE THEM! Those two are absolutely killing it!! I’m so impressed with everything they do and how mindful they’ve been about everything they do to grow their dream. I’m just so jealous...off the grid. Some days that doesn't sound bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG love their channel! I watched the whole process of getting the Dome ready. I could not do it. One thing is travel around in an RV and another take on building and living in the middle of the wilderness.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could handle the glamping in an Airstream across the country and staying here and there. A nomadic lifestyle!!!!

      Delete
  6. They are adorable. I'm gonna have to check out their show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've watched them and they are a joy, and sometimes they even amaze me... and you know, that's saying something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They often leave me in awe and mind blown how they carry on. And your amazed!!!!!!

      Delete
  8. Their simple off the grid life looks pretty posh living to me, Just look at the furnishings in the background. How do they fund this adventure??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why I like it. It like being on a permanent glamping show. I am not sure but the funding is from their sponsors of their you tube show and social media I surmise.

      Delete
  9. They certainly are a handsome couple! Personally, I see no attraction whatsoever in living off the grid, however.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen their channel a few times while they were building. Lots of set backs sewer line and such. I could live off grid, but much further south.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hubby and I when we first got together/married we live off the grid. If one has an income to set it up correctly it a lot easier life. Our hasn't such the case.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cap Chasen2/25/2022

    I hadn't heard of them and enjoyed the clips and watched several episodes now. They both remind me of Helen and Scott Nearing, who pioneered the off-grid movement so long ago. These boys are resilience and have humor, along with their gardening talents, they are so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so inspired right now to live an off grid life away from society since I'm so terribly introverted. I'm just trying to save enough money to start my own Off grid living and be sustainable. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a gorgeous set up! This is my first time watching their channel and I am seriously impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Besides the OBVIOUS LOVE they both have for one another; their spirit is just plain contagious! I also live in the woods here in New Zealand and love it, though Im not off the grid. But my closest neighbor is about a half mile.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice vision those two have and yes....they are so cute. I’m sure there’s enough work going on to keep them super busy to where they don’t really miss civilization. The site looks great. I would love to do something like this someday, but I’ll have to convince the Boy and myself first. I doubt it will ever happen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been watching their videos since they were RVing in the U.S., before the pandemic changed all our lives. It is wonderful that they share their adventures with all of us. I'm amazed at the depth of knowledge they both have gained over the past few years. All the exciting and interesting projects they both continue to work on are awe-inspiring. What's even better is that they seem to really enjoy what they're doing and laugh and, sometimes, cry along the way. Like you, I wouldn't know where the hell to start.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I couldn’t do it and couldn’t even fantasize about it. But I admire them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have seen a few of their shows. They are cute, if a little naive. My idea of roughing it is staying at a Holiday Inn. A farm would be fun, if I could have half a dozen farmers to do the work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glamping sounds cool for a weekend, but to do it 24/7? I'd be homesick after a short while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, the monastery is looking mighty good right now.

      Delete
  21. Off-grid they stand a better chance of surviving all the latest bullshit. Camping is a lot of fun, actually. One would probably get quite used to things over a period of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I think your right. Off the grid sounds lovely...but maybe I should do the small glamping site...a swank little airstream in the middle of no where...much more manageable.

      Delete
  22. I share their sentiment, but lack their youth and beauty. Lucky ducks. Nice work if you can get it, and if you get it? Won't you tell me how? Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cuties! And I love their home.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fascinating! It sounds like a lovely idea, but I'm rather like you in that I'd want someone to do most of it for me (I could just about manage the garden). I must admit, I thought Tyler and Todd were going to be really annoying but, as you said, they are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we can let them set it up, and then we'll move in and let Ms. Scarlet visit! I think the idea of being out in the middle of nowhere is haunting my lately.

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!