Tuesday, February 25, 2020

FAT TUESDAY

Fasnacht Day: who wouldn't appreciate a holiday revolving around frying and eating doughnuts?I warn you to grab your napkin and let the drooling begin.
Otherwise known as “Fat Tuesday”, for a Pennsylvania resident, today is fastnacht day. We here in Pennsylvania  drinking land, like doughnuts, as much as we like our hootch.
The religious call it Shrove’s Tuesday...it’s the day Lutheran’s clean their larder of all fats, and live a clean un-fatted life until Easter. I see the Fat Tuesday similarities. Don’t you?


These Shrove Tuesday treats, known as fasnachts, or faschnacht-kichli in Pennsylvania Dutch, are deep-fried cakes originally made of risen dough from flour and finely mashed potatoes. Fasnachts are fried every year in communities across Pennsylvania, the United States and Europe as a final hurrah to usher in the somber season of Lent. There are many recipes and ways to enjoy fasnachts. These are the ones I got to take into work today. IF they make it there at all!!!

 

I get mine from a local farm, and they are like eating air!!!! This year I got three dozen. Two for work and one for myself. What a pig right? Soooooo good. Some families, churches, and ladies auxiliary clubs make them according to regionally specific recipes, while some commercial establishments make them without potatoes. I can remember when I was very young, and staying with my grandmother. She in her apron, and her church lady friends would make thousands of these down at the church and would later have at the ladies function that afternoon,  and would also sell them in brown bags. There were many advantages then to hanging around her dress skirts!!!! Some years she made them in her own kitchen, to give to our family and the whole neighborhood. Some use baking powder rather than yeast to make a regional variety called "kickers," after the western Lehigh and eastern Berks Pennsylvania Dutch word "kichliche" (little cakes). Some enjoy them dipped in molasses or syrup, dusted in powdered sugar, or "just so." 


Traditionally, fastnachts are made to use up the lard, sugar, butter, eggs and other rich foods in a house before the austere diet of Lent begins. In Catholic and Protestant countries, Fastnacht Day is also called "Fat Tuesday," or "Mardi Gras," a name which predates the Reformation and referred to the Christian tradition of eating rich foods before the Lenten fast began. The word "fastnacht" means "the night before the fast," since the doughnuts are eaten the night before Lent, when fasting is usually observed by many Christians until Easter Sunday. 

So get out there and eat a doughnut, and repent you sinners.

28 comments:

  1. I give up NOTHING and I say SIN AWAY! fuck the mental illness called organized religion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum!!! Though I'm with Anne Marie; I never give up anything but religion!

    Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents lived all over because of
    work. In my 20s they lived in
    Louisiana so this rings a bell!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I'm fat everyday of the week! I don't need this shi…, uh scrumptious sounding yummies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pancakes for us today. I have no trouble in following the "rules" and eating pancakes to use up the eggs and stuff. I have a helluva problem laying off the goodies for 40 days!
    Enjoy the doughnuts. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your powdered doughnuts from the previous post are more to my liking!!!

    Have I mentioned im glad your back?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My one co worker brought in fastchnuts...but we don't follow the giving up of anything...we just like the doughnuts! Like my fat ads needs any more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was huge in my family. We weren't religious...but we too enjoy the fastchnuts. I enjoy your memories with you grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog posts always seem to have me drooling - - either for food or men. As an avowed Heathen, I have no plans to give up anything for Lent.

    I noticed that one of your readers said they are making pancakes today, and that's exactly what I'm going to have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy those donuts! I repent NOTHING.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great minds think alike, dear! Any excuse for fat, sugar and flour, my dear.

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  12. ... ... ... I thought you do something with donut holes

    ReplyDelete
  13. I gave up religion for Lent .... about a hundred years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmmm ....those look yummy! I'd have 3 or 4! I'm with you...repenting for what!? Life is meant to enjoyed thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, these are divine!!! I had about three myself today. Perfect on a cold day with coffee. Enjoyed the part of your grandmother and you around her apron on doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I repent not being more like you darling Mistress with your oh so fabulous naughtiness!!!

    Around here it's often called pancake Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well would you rather have the buns or the fastchnuts?

      Delete
  17. In the Chicago area, and many communities with large Polish populations, they’re called paczke (pronounced poonch-key). They come with myriad fillings, anything from Bavarian cream to fresh fruit to jelly. The Bavarian cream are usually topped with chocolate. Others have powdered sugar like yours, and still others have regular sugar. Any way you cut it, they are dee-licious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am up for any of those!!!!! I love a good fresh doughnut.

      Delete
  18. What a wonderful post. A tradition I have no problem getting behind!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ...fascinating post...really enjoyed reading it....and now I’m really ready for a fastnacht doughnut!...must admit, I come with a different tradition...giving up bread for matzah for a week(but I have great recipes to make it something to look forward to)!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love doughnuts. And I think I like them just glazed. The ones with fillings are good, but I really like glazed doughnuts with a glass of milk. I'm peculiar like that...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  21. So much better than the UK’s Pancake Tuesday. Our neighbors celebrated yesterday with two “pancakes” each. They looked like crepes and they didn’t use butter, maple syrup, or anything else more sinful than lemon juice!

    ReplyDelete
  22. They were obviously doing it wrong - pancakes should be fried in butter, and then liberally sprinkled with sugar, before a squirt of lemon juice. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the very least, a sqirt of something right?

      Delete
  23. Fastnacht Day was huge in Hershey and these parts. At least 6 churches near me were selling them. I'd rather have your delicious faschac NUTS.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!