Tuesday, October 15, 2019

AUTUMNAL SUSPECTS


With all this travel, thank goodness my neighbor was kind enough and was able to feed my birds while I was away the summer. I tell you, they are eating me out of house and home...it's amazing at how much they eat.  I generally go to a local nursey here that also has a nice selection of bird seeds. I actually get two kinds of seed and the guy at the place mixes them together for me. The main mixture is your run of the mill seed mixture, and the other contains special millets, grains, dried fruit pieces, various chopped nuts and berries, and dried banana pieces. This way it covers a variety of birds. Tim sent an email wondering what I used.  And Tim, once you place the seeds in feeders or on window sills, give it a month or two till you start getting birds. It often will take a while till they sometimes find a new source. With autumn coming, my suspects will be changing....the Black Capped Chickadees have returned already and before long the Junco's will be back.  But there is still a arboretum going on here.

One of my favorites...the Catbird. Many people don't care for all the racket the Catbird makes, probably because it's in the minya bird family. The cat bird can impersonate up 20 other different birds calls. So it you hear a familiar call, if might not necessarily be what you think, if you have Catbirds. But their own call does tend to sound like a cat meow. I just think they are so pretty. And they are very curious birds too. Mine have recently migrated.
The cardinal.

The Blue Jay which I get tons of. They are pretty used to my presence.
The Three Stooges.
The Nuthatch is another favorite of mine
Bonnie and Clyde and a bunch of doves are a main stay here.They will land and dine when I even have the screen out. I have yet to have a bird in the house. They are also the first soft thing I hear in the morning.
Nocturne is still here. Like Maleficent' s raven, he watches over the Casa du Borghese. He's also at the top of the post. I think he is a handsome bird.
And then this....Bouvier has taken lately to late afternoon lounges of the bedroom window sill. I don't know what this is about, but it works out fine. I can then discuss with him  about our evil plans for the DC domination and the havoc we will wreak. He tells me the squirrel population has big plans that will please me to no end. Let's hope your on our side. bwahahahahahahahaahahaha haaaaaaa haaaa ha!!!!!!!!

33 comments:

  1. Love the birds, but I can't be alone in hoping that Maleficent's Raven carries the squirrel off as food for its chicks. Grey squirrels are vermin - pretty vermin, I'll grant you, but vermin nonetheless. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't say that too loud dear, Bouvier may over hear you.

      Delete
    2. I heard that too.
      signed,
      a grey squirrel enthusiast

      Delete
    3. Jon would hate to live at Casa Bob y Carlos because we have squirrels by the bucket in our yard,running back and forth and up and down and hither and yon.
      Of course, we also have the birds, though my personal favorite is the boldly styled cardinal. I love a red coat!

      Delete
  2. Well, it's obvious that you've disproved the old adage which says that "eating like a bird" means you hardly eat at all.
    Your feathered friends seem to have voracious appetites!
    And I applaud you for feeding them so generously!

    The photos are great - - I've heard of catbirds but never saw one. Love the cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love the Catbirds. They sing so pretty.

      Delete
  3. Abby loves all the birdy pictures
    EXCEPT the squirrel!Be careful!!
    xoxoxoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love squirrels! They are not vermin to me! I have spare nuts! I want to be on the right side of world domination! Squirrels are sweet. Squirrels are cute. Squirrels have creepy hands. OOOOPS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spare nuts? My Deedles, do you need to tell us something?

      Delete
    2. Uhm, I like big nuts and I cannot lie?

      Delete
  5. Autumn? Everything is still green there! We have almost no birdies left. :(... Clearly that darn Maddie STOLE them all on us! >:[ grrrrr Maddie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, tis true. The masses are starting to assemble for world domination...….

      Delete
  6. All lovey. It's been a while since we saw all the feathered fine ones. You got some great pictures as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've never had a bird in the house? I find that hard to believe!!!!! I think Nocturne is my favorite. He just looks bad ass and mischievous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he's probably had a few birds in his bush though...

      Delete
  8. Oh you know I love these posts! They are all so different and pretty in their own way, but Bouvier stole the show on this one. Just what is he up too Mistress? Nocturne looks so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you name your birds. Nocturne looks HUGE! Is he a Raven or a crow? Greta pictures Mistress...though, that squirrel is most definitely up to something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the info, I can't wait to get started. I hope I get even half your variety. I love the Nuthatch too. And I have doves already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been waiting for a "suspects" post. Hurrah!
    I envy you the doves and blue jays. We used to have lots but the past two years houses are being built on the farmland behind our house and has scared them away. Squirrels also don't come anymore. On the plus side, we have up to a dozen goldfinch at any one time. Lots of tits too, all varieties😉
    Blackbirds, thrush and robin's are the most common.
    Feeding them is expensive but worth every penny. Have you tried sunflower hearts? They go down a storm here!

    Humans destroy so much of the natural habitat of birds, squirrels etc that I feel that offering food redresses the balance a little.
    Thank you. Lovely post.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get gold finches too. They are now losing there color to brown now. Fortunately we have alot of protected land here, so that helps. Glad you like the post honey.

      Delete
  12. I’m glad your menagerie is still around. The other day I saw one of my pups sitting in the yard looking up at the neighbor’s tree. I went out side to see what he was looking at and saw Bouvier‘s cousin looking down at us. I think he was issuing a directive to little Tim in preparation of their world domination.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the wildlife you get there. Here, the majority of the birds are pigeons. We get a few sparrows and tiny, tiny chickadees which are my favorite. And big, black grackles. Every so often a mockingbird or two. Oh, and ducks. Mallards as they migrate - but they stop here to nest and raise their chicks, and float in the pool and generally make as much mess as the pigeons!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cant pick just one bird, there all so pretty. But I do love blue. Amazing all the birds get close to your windows and eat off the sill.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see you have the people fooled, Maddie. All of these pretty bird pictures are just to distract folks from the upcoming squirrelpocalypse! I will not be distracted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nocturne is *extremely* handsome! If only my Beaky could up his game like your Nocturne.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As long as Nocturne is around, I wouldn't trifle with you , that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so miss feeding the birds. We had a collection of feeders to cater to all kinds of birds in our gardens in Connecticut. What a joy that was. And, you're right, hugely expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd like to get Badenov with Boris.

    ReplyDelete
  20. we don't have squirrels around these parts; I sort of miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had no idea Bouvier was the type to climb up to the window ceiling. Yes, I'm on your side. Let's take over DC!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!