Sunday, April 23, 2017

USUAL SUSPECTS

It's been a lovely weekend so far, and one where I'm at the Casa for once. I do have plans later today. It's been nice to be able to have breakfast at my table this morning with homemade sticky buns, the kind you eat, not mine. I made some yesterday with nice huge walnuts on top, and I'm devouring them with coffee! Nice to just sit, listening to classical on the radio, and watching the boyd's out the window. They are eating me at of house and home I tell you. My neighbor was over for brunch yesterday so we could gossip, and she was amazed at the visitors I get. So who stopped by this weekend......I'll wait, till the cat owners go get their cats..... and for dear Abbey and Tar....

The doves are here everyday. I have even found them roosting and sleeping on the still you may recall from other post.
Bonnie is looking plump.....I think egg time is coming.
After eating she and Clyde always retire to the tree to roost for some time. At times I get upwards of 16 doves on the sill.
The Downy Woodpecker has been active .
The red bellied woodpecker was by a lot , but you have to be very still to get his picture, he's fast. This time of year I get cardinals. It's really the only time I see them feed on the  sill, especially the male. They both were on the sill, but I missed the opportunity.  I have also watched the male take seeds to the tree where the female is branched and he feeds her. Have you ever seen that???
The golden finch are molting back to there yellow color. I'll have to get the seed socks out quick. They will feed on the sill though.

One of my favorites...the Nuthatch. They are so comical to watch and then there's that cackle.

This spring I have seen upwards of 8-15 Starlings of the sill. Talk about pigs! They are pretty to see up close, and they will mingle with the other birds, unless the whole sill is Starlings, then they chase away incoming diners.
The dainty Chickadee......
Outside, I spotted the Blue Jay couple near the flower bed. They too will feed on the sill with the other birds, if it's not crowd. One must be quick with the camera to capture them. One slight fast movement and forget it. The only bird I have seen them get frisky with is the red bellied woodpecker while on the sill. And the pecker gives it right back.

Can you spot Bouvier trying to be incognito?
He later came down to receive his nuts when he saw me with the bag.
And then there is the cuties bird of them all.....this bird dog......
As you can see...nesting of course.

29 comments:

  1. I love the cardinals. We have an actual antique bell outside the front door--instead of a door bell--and the cardinals love to perch on it; and the cats love to watch them perch.
    They would definitely be birders if they were allowed outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just picture at least Tuxedo licking his chops.

      Delete
  2. Abby sez 'feeding squirrels?!?!' I do it too... bad, doggy mom, bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here unfortunately, Buster would mostly likely nap with the squirrel.

      Delete
  3. You have all the same visitors as I do! Although I'm still waiting for the return of the bluejays.

    And there are more cardinals than usual this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I seem to always attract the same bird.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great way to spend Earth weekend...watching it's nature. Beautiful pictures

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pictures....it's amazing how many you get, but why was I not invited for your sticky buns?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely post for Sunday and Earth Day! I always enjoy these posts. I still can not get any good pictures of my birds, but it is nice to see some of my favorites return. Do you still have any junco's? I think they may have left for the season. Bouvier is a clown, I can tell. And sweet Buster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Agnes, I do think the last two weeks the Junco's have finally left till next winter. I saw the last one, last week before easter.

      Delete
  7. Great close up! You can really see the details. It's nice to hear the birds in the morning again, but the cardinals...boy are they loud. Hugs to Buster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a variety of colourful birds! Beaky and Cedplop scare off most of those that visit the gardens here at Castlette DeVice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to threaten to bake a black bird pie!

      Delete
  9. I just filled my feeder for all the pigs (birds & squirrels). it will be gone in 7 days time.

    love that buster!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures! It's nice to see Buster and Bouvier again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing photos! I especially like the woodpecker and cardinal. And the squirrel....and the pooch!

    There are lots of woodpeckers here in the boonies but I seldom see them. I always hear them banging the trees (nothing sexual implied....).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA HA HA HA!!!! I know that banging. The red bellied woodpecker, that I didn't get a picture of will, flies building to building here, like 530-6 in the morning, and pecks a mile a minute on the gutters. IT IS LOUD! All my neighbors hear it and know I'm the one that attracted it here. It is rather funny to hear.

      Delete
  12. I like the woodpecker too, Mistress. Such an industrious little bird. Is there anything you could name after him?

    ReplyDelete
  13. haven't those eggs hatched yet?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice spring post! I have to say I never notice birds, till you started doing these post, and now I see them and know what they are. They sure are noisy in the morning though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful treat to see all these birds! I myself love the Blue Jays. I know they can be mean, but they are so beautiful. I can't wait till all our birds are back, and I'm taking your cue with seed on the sill.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These shots are very cute, but just once could you feature your pecker?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice. I have never seen a Starling up that close. They are actually pretty! Not as pretty as Buster of course.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always love the photos you share of your feathered friends. It's more fun to imagine the sticky buns and nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well blow me down......look at all the feathers and flock!!!! They must really love your nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've captured a favorite hobby on mine as well, love to sit on the porch and watch all the feathered friends and squirrels trying to figure out have to get to the birdfeeders. They are tricky little devils for sure. Loved the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing pictures. I don't know how you manage to get them with scaring them off. The squirrel picture cracks me up...him on the tree like that.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!