Yes kids, today is indeed World Elephant Day! It is an annual global event dedicated to protecting and supporting these magnificent and intelligent creatures that face threats like poaching and habitat loss. Luckily many more are starting to realize just how close we came to these animals being wiped out in number much like rhinos. Elephants have always been a passion of mine, so much so it is what spurred on my trip to the stunning Nairobi back in 2024 to see them. It was a memory I won't soon forget being at the Sheldrick Trust conservancy to view the place and see these creatures up closer than a zoo even. After that I became a member. They are a well-known conservation charity based in Kenya. It protects elephants and wild animals in general. They also have a rhino, giraffes, a few zebra, warthog hogs, which are actually very comical, and most recently rescued a baby hippo, Bumpy who is coming along very nice and adorable. Not to mention very much a ham and has befriended a elephant, which is very rare. Not a day goes by I don't view there Instagram, where Angela Sheldrick often does live feeds, and shares beautiful posts, several times a day. They are famous for rescuing and raising orphaned baby elephants mostly, and to great success than anyone else. It was founded in 1977 by Dr Dame Daphne Sheldrick and created to honor her late husband who was warden of the Tsavo East National Park. It is since led by their daughter Angela Sheldrick, who does an amazing newsletter each month. Their project includes orphan's project, which rescues milk dependent baby elephants and rhinos left alone by poaching or human wildlife conflict. They are then raised by a mid-wife or hubby to be with them almost 24/7. Dame Daphne was the only person ever to perfect the milk formula to have the orphaned creatures accept it, raise them, and release them back in the wild one day to join existing herds. They also have anti-poaching teams to find and stop illegal traps and hunting, have a mobile veterinary unit, and perform habitat and water conservation projects to protect the wild lands. Not to mention educate the community on their beautiful creatures and how to live life along with them. I have such passion then I even said I would sell everything one day and move to the trust and do the work for free for lodging and meals, just to work with these elephants. They are amazing. On my tour we were told they have raised and released over 350 elephants back into the wild, and many years later those orphans come back, remember all their handlers, and bring along, in some cases, their new baby to show it off...others return as if just saying hello. And Ms. Agnes one year even sent me a gift of an adopted elephant, Hildona, which she is now almost 8 years old!!! Between the adoption and donations through the year, I can't think of a better way to spend some doe. If anyone wants to have fun and do a donation if the will kicks in, feel free to do so here. Can't think of a better way to honor the day myself. To see my day there you can click here.







Hildona!
ReplyDeleteAlso, it’s very important to remember that once an animal is extinct, that’s it! We do need to protect them.
I remember when you wrote about them. Very lucky to have had that experience.
XOXO
I'll never forget the trip. It was expensive but worth it!
DeleteElephants are beautiful creatures, I can't bear hearing about cruelty towards them - so good that there are people looking out for them, I am grateful for that.
ReplyDeleteSx
The same with rhinos and hippos. I will never understand the cruelty towards any animals. Every creature gives and adds its part to our eco- systems.
DeleteI would love to meet an elephant. They're so majestic and...kind, I think. Aren't they sometimes called "Gentle Giants?"
ReplyDeleteYes they are but take great caution around mothers with newborns calfs and bulls in mating season!!!! Even at the trust they only let guest so close...and visiting hours are week days and only for one hour a day. I rode an elephant twice...its pretty cool.
DeleteOMG... I would love that.
DeleteHumans are so stupid and destructive. May Lord Ganesha, the Hindu god with the elephant's head, protect them!
ReplyDeleteWhy are we so destructive? I can understand killing because you are hungry and broke, but killing to put a trophy on the wall or sell for Chinese medicine is obscene.
DeleteBecause humans are disgusting as a species. We consume, tear down and eat everything in our path! Greedy...materialistic and only care to share the planet with just ourselves. It's sad. Once some species are gone...we're going to be sorry.
DeleteEarth is losing thousands of species every year when you factor in plants, insects, invertebrates, fish, reptiles and birds. They just don't get the same level of media coverage as elephants, pandas or tigers. Much of the illegal/black market trade in bear galls, rhino horns and other parts is still driven by Asian medicine demands for male enhancement/aphrodisiacs.
DeleteThe end of the world is nigh.
DeleteIt's that time of the year again already?! How time flies. Elephants are awesome and so much easier to ride than camels or horses for that matter (don't ask).
ReplyDeleteFunnily...I rode three camels already in my life. It takes getting used too...a horse is easier I think.
DeleteThe elephant was easiest in my case. The camel was a bit of a bumpy ride, if I recall right. Of course, those were controlled rides at the San Diego Zoo and the Wild Animal Park. The horse was more freestyle in Hawaii and I couldn't figure out how to brake gently when panicked (me, not the horse). I pulled to hard on the reins and that oh so gentle equine did his impression of Michael Jackson and moonwalked my screaming, left side numb ass until my guide rescued me. I know you didn't ask but oh well.
DeleteElephants are so awesome.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post! I wasn't aware till I saw AngelaShldricks post on Instagram today! She did a most heartfelt and beautiful post about the trust...these creatures and her mother. The pictures were touching. I was also not aware her son's are now involved.
ReplyDeleteI shall make a donation gladly and if I can in your name or honor for the love of these creatures.
De telles créations majestueuses :)
ReplyDeleteJ’ai vu des éléphants lors de voyages en Inde et en Thaïlande, ainsi que lors d’un safari mémorable en Tanzanie.
Ils ont besoin protection.
Ils sont en danger critique d’extinction en Afrique centrale et occidentale, ainsi qu’en Asie du Sud-Est.
Lorsque mon grand-père était administrateur colonial au Viet-Nam, entre 1938 et 1946, on y comptait des milliers d’éléphants ; aujourd’hui, il n’en reste que 150. :(
-Beau Mec à Deauville
Is it World Elephant Day already? I've watched several documentaries and news coverage of the Sheldrick Wildlife Trust: they do wonderful work and their success rate in raising orphaned baby elephants to release them back into the wild is impressive.
ReplyDeleteSuch amazing animals. I've heard great stories from people who've had close encounters with them that elephants are very spiritual.
ReplyDeleteWhat an incredible legacy, and a gift to the world Dame Daphne lefts us. We must not let her down. I'll too happily make a donation to them here tonight. Such brilliant animals.
ReplyDeleteSoon as I heard this, I thought of you Mistress. I had no idea when I read her book a long time ago, I would end up following her legacy on Instagram, without knowing it. I loved her story. My love for elephants is boundless and has grown immensely. Hopefully in the future my time is spent seeing these majestic creatures up close but with respect for their habitat one day like you. Though I'm not getting any younger.
ReplyDeleteA remarkable work done by remarkable people! We just can't let these animals go extinct since they are coming back strongly. Very nice post today.
ReplyDeleteThey are magnificent creatures.
ReplyDeleteWhat? No cute baby elephant videos?
ReplyDeleteNice photos.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing trip that was. And, oh my god, the most amazing creatures.
ReplyDeleteHappy Elephant Day!!!! I too follow them on Instagram. It's amazing to watch. I so envy the keepers as they just casually stroll along the paths, with these magnificent beasts.
ReplyDeleteI have happily had the chance over the years to ride elephants, camels and yaks but elephants are very special wonderful animals. Gigi
ReplyDeleteYou have a great heart!
ReplyDeleteElephants are such intelligent beings, and deserve much better than how they're treated - whether actively or passively) by some humans. I hope that one day soon we'll be able to understand their language and communicate with them (in the Star Trek Universe, this has come to pass!).
ReplyDeleteYour love and respect for these amazing elephants (and baby hippos!) is inspiring and heart warming.