Tuesday, July 21, 2026

BUMBLE BATH

 Yes, call me nuts! As most of you saw, my wildflower garden has taken wonderfully and quickly, which also meant I am getting far more bees and bumbles to the garden these days. Now I have several bird baths around the house, so of course the bees like to enjoy them too to get some water, which many don't know. The problem was some would go to far down, slip in, and sadly drown. Of course, I saved a few before they got to waterlogged and smothered. I would place them in the garden to dry out. So, before my last vacation I was on Instagram and caught a video of a lady who made this elaborate bee bath. Well, I'm not Marth Stewart, but she did give me an idea. To go with the growing bee habitat, I made my own bee bath.


Bees drown because once suck in the water they have nothing to cling to get out. So,I went to the garden center, got a medium terra cotta pot, turned the pot upside-down, and placed the water dish on top. Then filled the dish with little filler peddles to make raised places out of the water with a few larger stones from the garden I found or on walks, and added a twig to make a bridge of sorts and then filled with water. I placed it in the shaded rose garden so they can drink and bee out of the sun. Get it, bee out of the sun. lol! I have seen many using it already, but if you do try this just make sure to add water daily, as in the heat, it can evaporate quickly. I'm happy to report I have not seen a dead one yet this year in any of the birdbaths.

Of course I wanted all bees to feel welcome, so I added in this pride rock my mother gave me that she painted this year at a craft event at her work, and I also added in a few seas shells I found on the beach from my last jaunt for more platforms for bees to cling too. 

43 comments:

  1. Maddie, you have a heart as big as all outdoors, what a thoughtful gift to the creatures who make sure our flowers bloom and our foodstuffs grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like many who will see this idea plan to make one also. I think the little wrens and chickadees will also enjoy it as they can perch and drink on the rocks and twigs in the shallow water. The sloped edge of my primary birdbath is a challenge for them.

      Delete
    2. My birdbaths are deeper too. The only birds I have seen on the bee bath are sometimes some house sparrows. I hope it does inspire some Milleson.

      Delete
  2. I love this! Even the Gay Bees are welcome.
    And, you know, without bees, we're doomed, so you're helping all of us!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That right! And there are less beekeepers that ever.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this idea! Genius!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c141lymnl2yo you are doing the right thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great article Helen, thanks for sharing it.

      Delete
  5. We have to rescue bees out of the pool all the time, but here are some we don't get because we aren't out there every minute of the day. I wonder if we had something like this..... Goddess knows we have plenty of flower pots lying around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can imagine the pool deaths especially with the chlorine in to no less.

      Delete
  6. Yes, not only can they not climb out of the water in most bird baths, but once their wings are wet, they can't fly so they can't even escape by air. I love the concept of a special bee bath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel they are relived. I once saw one exhausted bumble in a bloom. Just sat there. I got an eye dropper and put a few droplets on the bloom, and I think it relived the bumble and she took off.

      Delete
  7. OMG genius?
    Bees are essential for everything we eat, for real. And I will try this. The man friend has a bird bath but not a bee bath. Homework!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fun project for you! I'd love to see what you come up with if you do it. I liked your little garden tours you showed us a few times.

      Delete
  8. I love it! Like Helen, I saw the BBC article. Of course, we shouldn't be too alarmed at seeing a dead bee or two, as apart from the queens (of course!) they don't actually live very long. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't. They are worker bees for sure.

      Delete
  9. Très clever of you. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course you would create a special bee bath. What a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see the one for houseboys.

      Delete
    2. For the bees and the boys!

      Delete
    3. No one ever told me ’bout the bees and the boys. I had to learn all on my own.

      Delete
  11. What a great idea! All it needs is a little sign that reads "Maddie's Bee Spa", LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cap Chasen7/21/2026

    WOW. So simple and all things I have now in my shed. Love this idea. I too wanted a decorative watering station for my yard and my bees. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mistress! How cool! You damn well now I'm taking this idea. And I like that you used thing found, mean something to you or cheap to get.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! The bees will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sooo cute! I was just reading about wildlife and how bees can get great use from these. You may have inspired me to go out and make one. How easy is this. And I love the rock your mother painted for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just back from vacation and this is the first post I saw! I love it!!! Adorable and I love all the little items you placed in there. I wonder if bees would use this on my balcony? I have flowering plants out there and I have seen bees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If bees are present, I think they would use it tootes.

      Delete
  17. Those bees shouldn't dare sting you after all you've done for them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. See, your not just another pretty little minx. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely! The bees will love it! I did something similar with an old porcelain bowl I had. I found not only bees used it, but also butterflies and hummingbirds too. Maybe your will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have hummingbirds but have not seen them use this yet, but heaven knows what goes on since I'm not outside every minute.

      Delete
  20. Perfect little rest, refuel and move on station for the bumblebees. There was a report on the BBC yesterday that after the heat of 2022 the bumblebee population was reduced by a third. They get too hot to fly and die. Poor things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wondered if that's why I sometimes see them to appear to be sleeping on some of the blooms of flower. They just sit there lifeless. but then they are gone an hour later.

      Delete
  21. The bees thank you! I was stung in the pool recently by a drowning bee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last place you'd think to get strung.

      Delete
  22. Anonymous7/22/2026

    Une excellence idée pour sauveur les gardiens du jardin :)
    Dans les abeilles, il n’y a pas de vie.
    -Beau Mec à Deauville

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a splendid idea! It's heartbreaking to find drowned bumblebees, so this should prevent any more accidental deaths.
    I've recently added a few twigs and branches to the allotment bath as the water level has dropped considerably, meaning that anything that falls in can at least get out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cool. Even the gay bubbles seem to like the rock too!

      Delete
  24. I only have a courtyard, but I'm going to try this. I love it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!