Tuesday, May 26, 2015

LET'S DISH......RUPAUL'S DRAG RACE

 
A couple weeks ago Deb from over at She Who Seeks, asked me in a comment what my thoughts were about Drag Race this season. Well, between my work schedule then, and the laptop issue (which I'm still getting used to finding where shit is on this new one), and Logo not being offered on my package anymore, I have to watch online the next day. So Deb....here's my take this season.....
 
1- Overall, I thought it was another pretty entertaining season again with quite a collection of different queens from all kind of genres. I mean, how many more ground breaking styles can we have come season 7, and now 8 has been announced.
 
2-The judges were.....ok. A nice selection of guest judges, but I say the chemistry was much better with Santino, Ru and Michelle.
 
3-As far as the challenges, I was happy to see some new ones, and with some of the old favorites still in tact.
 
 4- As far as the queens go, they started to leave in the order I had predicted they would, till about the middle. I never saw Tempest being first, I thought Miss Fame would make top 4, and why in hell was Jasmine even ever on the show???  Kandy Ho also shocked me by being so weak, and kept as long as she was. This year I also watch the Untucked show, which I have to say, almost enjoyed more than the show itself. I found it very interesting, for the most part, that the queens did really get along, and it was nice to see how supportive they were of each other for the most part. It really captures I think, what the feeling is like, if you ever wondered, in the dressing rooms at drag shows.
 
5-Some of my other thoughts and guesses........
 
 
I pretty much knew Ginger would do very well. Since Miss Fame is now gone, I really think this may be the year for the big queen, and about damn time. I enjoyed Ginger as much as Lattrice Royale. Ginger looks fabulous, has great make-up skills, is funny, has enough cattiness, a great lip syncher, and holds a great commanding stage presence. During a show, I do believe I would like to see her over and over again.  I love that she will talk about you right behind your back then to your face... I am really hoping the win goes to her.
 
 
From the beginning I said Pearl would be top 3. I absolutely love this queen and her cool, collect demeanor, much like mine. Her looks are very modern, flawless and creative which I can respect. But .....I do see shades of edginess from Sharon Needles, and I'm not sure she has a presence I'd want to see all night long, for example, like mc-ing or hosting a drag show. The humor is not quite there, which I don't think she has all the time. But I do really love her, and she has quite a rare attitude which is very refreshing.
 
Violet Chachki I hadn't known too much about, except for the attitude, which most times didn't disappoint. I must admit, I hadn't placed her high on my list to stay. She made it much further than I ever suspected. Does she deserve to be there? Yes. She was consistently flawless, never had to lip snych, and always had nice tight looks. Girlfriend can work the looks and the attitude which only adds to her alter ego. But that is where it ends to me. While I think she would put on a hellva performance, I don't pick up on a great stage presence as far as carrying a whole show, or hosting a show. And I have yet too see any humor. But I do respect her still being in the race, with her not being in the drag world long, and for being so well painted in her short time.

 
Kennedy Davenport I  didn't think would win, but went further into the race than I though pageant girl would. I was MOST surprised by her more than anyone how she grew on me. She was a class act, has incredible drag etiquette, was fair and personable to all, and how could you not love her entertaining accent? She was old school pageant drag with just the right mix of updated style.

 
My girl Kasha ended her run just about where I thought she would. And was very happy she went as far as she did. Kasha has long been a favorite of mine and one of the sweetest queens you'll meet, but I didn't think we would have two back to back comedy queens win. Plus, she's alright in my book, as we have a lot in common....."There's always time for a cocktail!"

 
And finally Max Malanaphy.....another who I really enjoyed watching more than I thought. I really enjoyed her shtick she was selling....and I was buying. I loved her looks, and the whole character she was creating. I do think she may have went down the race further had she done Marlene Dietrich or Greta Garbo for the Snatch Game. Why do another drag queens act??? I think they should have to do actors or other notable personalities. I mean were watching drag queens...why do one? But over all did love her style and creativity.
 
So....if you watched, what did you think of the season and who do you think will take the crown??? Tootles!

24 comments:

  1. We were surprised to see Kennedy Davenport go last time. Have not watched last night's show - but don't think there was an elimination - we were traveling.
    We do like Ginger Minj and are hoping she wins.
    Don't watch Untucked as we found it rather mean before but glad they are supportive of each other in the current version. We are fans of that on any of the reality - competition shows - supportive contestants.
    All in all a very talented group of people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night was the recap dear, so you didn't really miss anything. I have the feeling if you liked Kennedy, you'd love Mayhem Miller if she ever makes it on.

      Delete
  2. I too was wondering about your thoughts. I have loved Ginger since the get go!!! I did think though Tempest took alot of flack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want Ginger for the win, but have a feeling Violet may take it. If not for your stinkin lack of sewing skills, you'd be most entertaining on season 8! Hated the judges, except Miss Boobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STINKIN' sewing!!!!! * hides the kaftan and matching turban for coco under bed*

      Delete
  4. I love Pearl. Its different and cute as hell as a boy! But is there really anything from any we haven't already seen from the 6 previous crowned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pif, you weho queens are never satisfied are you?

      Delete
  5. I thought for sure Katya had it. And Kennedy wants to know how your durin'?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your commentary is fascinating, Mistress! I'm rooting for Ginger Minj to win next week. Violet is a strong contender from a fashion point of view but is no match for Ginger in the acting, comedy and lip synching categories. My other faves, now alas eliminated, were Max (love the grey hair) and Kennedy Davenport (what a performer!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's minj for the winj. it would make no sense to give it to another girl. you need a real entertainer to win. yes, violet may be wasp-waisted, but that don't make her a star. you must have a brain to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of minj's, have you washed yours out lately dear?

      Delete
  8. Couldn't agree more about the judges......bring Santino back!!!! Jaidynn Dior and Ginger were my favorites from the get go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And to think I thought this was a lost art form! How do you think the modern queens compare with Divine and those of her generation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I have been putting together a post about that same subject about that and the different types of drag queens there are. In a short answer, queens these days are more about image over being campy and silly. Queens then were about fun, over the top style, and having fun with it to have fun. These days I think some take it too seriously, and some are just too fishy.....can't tell if their a real woman or a transsexual. I think East Coast queens are more like Divine or close to it then any others.

      Delete
  10. I'm kinda with you on your assessment of the Top Three, though I've still yet to pick my Favorite--it's a Minj/Chachki toss-up.
    And I did love Max.
    And, I never thought I'd say this, I kinda miss Santino ... Oy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bob! Did you think we'd ever say that?

      Delete
  11. I love Pearl myself, but she is so quite and too calm, so she probably wont win. Although Tyra Sanchez won and you don't get any more personality less than her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still , till this day wonder " Were the judges drunk that year?"

      Delete
  12. I loved me some Kasha Davis. I could watch a whole show with her in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this show!!!;! I wish there was two seasons in a year!!!! I myself kope Violet wins.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice post. I'll be happy you ever wins, I toughly enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If i had to pick one it would have been katya..... also i like pearls look sometimes but her personality is like a xanax

    ReplyDelete
  16. At this point...Violet (a generic post-tween version of Raja) appears to be the favorite of the three...Pearl would be a nice upset (though highly unlikely as she's practically rendered redundant by Violet)...Ginger seems to be the only remaining contestant that might add to the existing body of winners (1st heavy-set winning queen...comical/pleasant persona...mature/southern & relatable...pageant queen, etc).

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...